It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rain, lightning cancel Obama's Memorial Day address

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Rain, lightning cancel Obama

www.chicagobreakingnews.com

President Barack Obama's Memorial Day address at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood was just getting started today when lightning and heavy, gusting rains forced the cancellation of the proceedings.

The president, umbrella in hand, encouraged spectators to get to a safe place to ride out the storm and said he would hold off the ceremony because he didn't want anyone to get hurt.

"Excuse me, everybody listen up," he said before the event was officially called off. "We are a little bit concerned about lightning. This may not be safe. I know that all of you are here to commemo
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-5-2010 by bakadesu]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
For all of the reasons he should have spoke today, he could not.
I find this hard to believe. Bad Leadership getting worse.

"U.S. Army Sgt. 1st Class Matthew Burleson, who was sitting to Obama's left under a tent with other dignitaries, said the president personally decided to call off the event after he saw lightning nearby and heard a loud clap of thunder. Burleson said Obama turned around and told his aides that he was worried about thousands of people being in an open field during a storm.

"He was the one who called it,"

Leadership.

www.chicagobreakingnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The storm was probably just a great coincidence and the president probably has to figure out what is going on with the Israel situation

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
karma is a bitch... it was nice and sunny at arlingtinon

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

I love it!
"Rain is not safe"

I am sure he is thinking of Israel. Big decisions coming. I guess we will wait another few weeks at least to hear about them? Lots of people writing speeches on overtime!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by bakadesu
For all of the reasons he should have spoke today, he could not.
I find this hard to believe. Bad Leadership getting worse.

Are you kidding me?

How many people are going to spend the day BBQ'ing and having a grand old time without reflecting on the reason for the holiday?

The effort was made and a valid reason for postponement was given.

I see no issue here except for an exasperated attempt to find fault where there is none.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bakadesu

Shows pretty good leadership how I see it.

Ever seen what could happen when events are not called or postponed due to lightning? Saw a soccer game one time when it hit the field and most of the players dropped instantly.

Besides...he said postponed...so as soon as the weather passes, I'm sure it will be back on.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Wow, that is bad... I mean, think, bullets and bombs didn't make the soldiers stop fighting! Rain and lightning didn't keep our fighting men and women from putting their lives on the line for our country!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I see no problem with his choice. Heck I live in Texas and even if one itty bitty lightening strike is in the sky, Six Flags shuts down.

I am not a fan of Obama, but even I can't fault him for this. Can you imagine the # storm if a strike hit the ground and someone got hurt?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

I certainly hope he regroups. We need some Heavy stuff done and quickly. Attacks from all sides. It's getting dangerous out there.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bakadesu

I don't really think postponing a speech because of lightning is a sign that he he needs "regrouping"

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by theuhstuf
Wow, that is bad... I mean, think, bullets and bombs didn't make the soldiers stop fighting! Rain and lightning didn't keep our fighting men and women from putting their lives on the line for our country!

Context is everything...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Thank you for your understanding.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Jackasses.

I'm getting pelting with rain and lightning...part of the same storm.

I don't blame him for not wanting to stand out in a lightning storm. I'm looking outside right now...and I don't see ANYONE WAVING FLAGS....hell they wouldn't be even it was a nice sunny day.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
honestly guys, lightening actually can get pretty wicked, i don't blame obama at all

i don't know specifically what the weather was like that made obama personally call of the event, but i'm sure it actually was or could have been worth the cancellation, you don't want to mess with lightening, and rain, well rain just sucks when you're trying to deliver a big speech or hear one and enjoy it

also: obama has made many many more decisions that require our criticism, so i wouldn't waste too much time on this one ( no joke, i think we should really focus on other obama related faults, as this one doesn't mean much either way )

[edit on 5/31/2010 by indigothefish]

new topics

top topics

join