It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Can't I Own a Canadian?--A Religious Letter

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Like I said intimidation isn't a crime according to you. We will have to agree to disagree.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by rick1

It takes a great deal of time to translate these verses and most people do not want make that investment.

Hmmm. Not a very good strategy for success on the part of your God. You'd think with all of His ability he might have made it simple and to the point to make sure that there was no question what his intentions were.

Of course, if the words are man made, then that explains everything.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Nice post OP! Its quite incredible what that "book" contains.It also seems that not too many people have actually read the thing.Its also very sad.People are so frightened by life that theyre so easily goeded,,,and that isnt something thats exclusive to Christians!

sweet rebuttal though!

PS-you can own a Canadian and a Mexican,but you gotta have papers on your Mexican(no one will check your Canadian), but you cant keep them in the same place

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

Society no longer values manners based on what we see in entertainment, corporations, or government. Character does not matter in society, weak character actually gets you ahead in business and career, look at who the executives are these days.

The real kicker in the truth you told is that those are the very people who proclaim the loudest their virtue, morality and church membership. Every politician does it. Every corporate head does it.

Nothing irks me like deceit.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
My white ancestors came here during the war of 1812 to help keep Canadians from being owned by the US of A...as opposed to being owned by Britian or France.

Then while every one was arguing about how many angels could dance on the head of a pin, we got an privately owned illegal zionist central bank which "cares not who is elected to run the country..."

My aboriginal ancestors like to quote the senior zulu shama Creedo Mutwa:
'When the christians first came
they had the bible and we had the land.
Then they said "Let us close our eyes and prey."
When we opened our eyes,
We had the bible and they had the land'.

Of course if some one wants to own me
I have an avatar I like to call
Kanuckles Le Clown

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Awsome burn. One hell of a come back for that ignorant woman.

Im sure she will think all of 10 seconds. Thats about all religious people can muster before they start to pray for anwsers. LOL some things in the old testament are ok... and others are not.... it just depends on what the $%^&ing idiots wants at that point and time.

It is not just the old testament that has some of these things in them that no one today really wants to follow and do not think is right, yet want to say they ARE following the bible and or Jesus.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by juniperberry

The OT is History, there are just a few laws that are mention in the New Testament that are to be followed...the ten commandments is one of them although more specifically the first two, you could argue the tithe but it really doesn't mention much other than give to Caesar that which is Caesar's....another one that most ppl don't even realize is not eating food sacrificed to idols and not eating blood...makes me wonder every time I eat sushi but it just tastes soo damn good

I like Dr Laura, and I too think Homosexuality is sinful...yes I've known some great gay ppl and I really don't care if they want to get hitched, but what they are doing is wrong in my opinion. I understand Dr Laura using that verse, as Jews use the OT, but if they are truly following the OT they should be sacrificing animals and rebuilding the temple.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Dr. Laura never talks poorly of gays. They often call into her show for advice. This is some sort of a smear campaign against her ideas. Shame on whoever started this rumor.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality

the old testament laws don't even apply after the Christ was born.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by alienreality]

Curious response Alien... You sound like a Bible student, and as such you'd well know that the word Christ (Christos in Greek) is Messiah in Hebrew (mean's "Anointed One") and is a "job title" for the head of the religious/political body.

Knowing such, you'd already know there were many Christs/Messiahs in the Bible, starting with King Saul, then David, etc...

Further, you'd recognize that that old Leviticus law only applied to those enfranchised citizens, only the Judeans (for the Kingdom of Israel was carted off by the Assyrians), and only possible if the Ark was present.

Since the Babylonian "Galut" in about 500 bce, there hasn't been an Ark to speak of (that's when it went missing), then I guess you're right about not needing to fulfill the law since the last Messiah of the kingdom the loss of the Ark in the 500s bce.

Although, it could be possible you speak of Yeshua who was said to fulfill the Law... but that wasn't when he was born, that would have come later, after he lived by the law, and would have rallied the townsfolk to stone a few law-breakers (as according to the Law he is said to have upheld 100%... minus that "go forth and multiply" part).

Personally, I like the letter to Dr. Laura. I would have added a question about those mouthy teenagers next door though. Deut. 21:18- tells us we need to convene the Home Owners Association and put those rocks out of the garden to use.

"If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. They shall say to the elders, 'This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard.' Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you."

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
leviticus laws do not partain to nowdays, and never pertained to gentiles.

The new testament Romans 1:26-27 discusses it also.

but as Gentiles we follow the new testament. In the sermon on the mountain Jesus respoke the commandments then went on and the new laws were given in Romans.

but the old testament laws were made very clear to moses that they were for the jews not the gentiles.

if you are not jewish you are a gentile.

but who cares, both sides will whine and never win, it's a forever never ending argument.

so im done playing the game, cause ignorant morons will scream in caps lock leviticus and such, and the other ignorant morons will make up excuses for old testament and both sides look like morons really.

hell even having to bring this up makes me look moronic. Just proves everyone using old testament to argue is uneducated. And arguing old testament only works if you are damning a Jew.

Which some do think Jews should all be damned anyhow so go right ahead.

course only way to get a point across in any religious post is to troll. since it's just whining on both sides until the thread gets played out, deleted, or people give up. which most times it's the people with faith or people that want to discuss and not debate that leave first which leaves the only people in the threads. So Trolls win lol

How about next just quote directly from the 4chan bible, it's much easier to troll that way.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
In response to all those posting about the New Testament:

The definition of "Christian" is a follower of the teachings of Jesus, correct?

This being so, I have to say---if a Christian is a follower of the teachings of Jesus, what on earth do Romans, Acts, or ANY of the books of the New Testament other than the Gospels have to do with anything? The Gospels (and of those, John is a pretty iffy proposition, considering it was written possibly as late as 120 CE, contains a lot of Gnostic ideas, and was even considered heretical by the church itself for a very long time) are the only parts of the New Testament that actually contain Jesus's teachings. Most of the New Testament is Paul's words and teachings...and Paul was not Jesus. Matter of fact Paul didn't even know Jesus. Paul's only claim to fame was his conversion, which was somehow supposed to make him more of an "authority" than all those like Peter and James who lived with and learned from Jesus himself. Why do so many "Christians" rely on Paul instead of Jesus?

Note: Episcopalian here

In response to the OP:

That was priceless. All the things I always want to ask the extremists, all rolled up into one letter. Wish we could all see her response.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

I wish they did. I'd be willing to give up shellfish if interest charges (usury) became a sin again.

Then all the predatory lenders would be sinners...which I think they are anyway, but by the Old Testament they definitely would be.

Also, I don't have a copy of the Tora lying around here (or a Bible) but a gay Jewish friend once told me that Leviticus only prescribes the homosexuality of the priests in the temple and no one else. In other words, only priests can't lay with other men. There is no other mention of homosexuality, right?

And if I'm not mistaken, Jesus never mentions it...must not have been a big issue.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Very nice OP, I was instantly reminded of this

West Wing

What I find interesting in this thread is the game of religous "one upmanship" that is going on "Well those are the words of the orthodox Jews so they don't count for me!" Then when its pointed out that other peoples have added to the texts replacing their words which replaced the words before them etc. etc., well then thats all make believe and those are not the words of the true believers. The hypocracy is so thick you can't even cut it with a laser.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Helmkat]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Cito

Yours truly has pointed out several times in this forum that Mosaic Law (The Law or Llevitical Law, the 613 Mitzvot) does not apply to gentiles, only Jews.

Rabbinic Judaism[4] asserts that the Laws of the Jewish Bible were presented to the Jewish people and converts to Judaism and do not apply to gentiles, including Christians, with the notable exception of the Seven Laws of Noah which apply to all people.

The 613 Mitzvot
en.wikipedia.org...

People just seem to ignore this point about Mosaic Law.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
OMG - This thread is hilarious. Thanks. I kept seeing the title "Why can't I own a Canadian" and thought it might be to stupid to read, but glad I did. I guess you can't judge a book by its cover. Good job.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

This was funny and so is Betty Bowers Explains Marriage to Everyone Else! I hope I did that video thing right, but here's the link just in case. www.youtube.com...

Keep laughing people cuz its just gonna get funnier.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by rick1

It is really difficult for you to focus isn't it? Since we were talking about the bible I would think even you could have picked up on the fact I was referring to the definition of the word kill in biblical terms. Don't have time for games.

Sometimes I do have trouble focusing. You must too, because you failed to grade my homework. Did I answer your question? Gold star? Or red X?

Like I said you have the Militant Homosexuals come after you and then tell me if you believe your rights were violated.

*Losing focus while envisioning a FABULOUSLY outfitted band of soldiers with well groomed eyebrows marching up to violate my rights...*

You have crowds of people shouting outside your work,calling your work,calling your home. Crowds of people shouting outside your home
day and night. Yeah you're right they did nothing to take away her right of free speech.

They didnt, she is still free to engage in free speech. They are just exercising their own. You know, like pro-lifers do outside of abortion clinics.

You must feel terribly threatened by Rush.

Not really, he is just the first person that came to mind that reminded me of Dr. Laura when I was trying to be flip.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by riiver

Exactly. What passes for Christianity should actually be called Paulism, because if there is a conflict between what Jesus said, and Paul said, they just follow Paul.

What I dont understand is that Jesus was supposed to be perfect, and if he were perfect, do you not think he would have mentioned that he had a replacement waiting in the wings who was going to come in and make getting to heaven SOOOOO much easier for everyone? I would have thought he might mention that. But instead what he warned about were false prophets.

Hmmm.

Paul was the original Joseph Smith.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

By your answer I am not sure you understand what research is. But you have a computer so at least you can look the word up.
A question for you.
the commandment THOU SHALL NOT KILL
What does the word KILL mean
No one is any longer trying to deny Dr. Laura her right of free speech they have already succeeded. Are you really that unaware. I mean really. There was a nation wide
campaign by homosexuals to stop this woman from not only getting a tv show but destroying her. The mainstream tv and print media was involved. The internet was involved. Imagine if they turned their sites on you or ATS. Organizing to end another
persons free speech is not an exercise of more free speech.
[edit on 31-5-2010 by rick1]

Your response seems pretty condescending. You're mistaking the right of free speech and the free market. She's still free to spout whatever she wants, but her market has dried up and isn't desirable anymore for the mass market. I'm sure she has a niche market with bigots and the religious right though.

Your post doesn't seem very Christ-like though and I'm not sure if you're representing your religion very well. Good news is, you can be forgiven your sins and everything is good, so you can be as big a douchebag as you want and everything will be fine.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

starred and flagged..found the content funny and interesting read.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join