It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Can't I Own a Canadian?--A Religious Letter

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by For(Home)Country

people believe in these ancient books religion because they dont have access to information or because they have some mental problems in MY opinion ...

maybe it is not true, who knows, but thats what I think

I will explain why:

A piece of text is not something clear and definite, so, people from different cultures and times will have different understanding from the same text

even people today, if everybody here decides to read the bible, I am sure they would have different interpretations

so, I just dont understand how a book, like Bible, is declared as fact or is followed like it is written by so many people

people need to understand that, if they saw a modern plane or something in that times, they would say its GOD or whatever, their culture simply wouldnt explain what they were seeing ...

real example: there were articles that reported that people saw flying crosses ... so, well, it must have been GOD right?

please, lets use logic to try to understand things

its not because a person doesnt follow a religion that it means there is nothing out there

the contrary, in my opinion there are a lot of things we cant explain, but thats why we should spread information, spread theories, instead of follow one like it is the only thing in our sight

and in my opinion off course a GOD exists, simply because my brain cant process we were from nothing or without some cause ... but that, too, doesnt mean this GOD is a person, probably someone or something we just cant understand yet -- we may be living in an ocean of universes, that could be part of some other organism, who knows

but as I said, I just wont use one theory and say its a fact, because thats a lie, and we already live in a world with a lot of lies even if you count off religion

Originally posted by grahag

Originally posted by For(Home)Country
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Perhaps you recognize that fact, but I would have to argue that many of the "enlightened" and "non-ignorant" ones here on ATS claim that no good has come out of Christianity, and no intelligence can be seen within a "religious" person. This is obviously false as intelligent people can be religious or non religious.

I find it fascinating that religious people use flawed documents to live their lives by. In the IT industry, we call that GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out).

What's less fascinating, and more than a bit scary is how people use religion to validate their bias, bigotry, or hate. Doing that just makes your religion look bad.

Love your neighbor as you love yourself. It's a tenet of ALL major religions. There is not a major religion and almost no minor religions that don't have something based on "The Golden Rule". Yet, I see people going against it all the time. It's too bad the bible has so many inconsistencies. Overall, it's a great set of stories, and I'm sure many would find worth if it weren't for the drivel people get out of it.

great post I had to quote it ...

[edit on 31-5-2010 by Faiol]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
If this person had any inkling of who it is that he is mocking and any understanding of the seriousness in which it is taken, I am certain he would not have done so. I don't feel that letter was funny at all. It came from someone who does not know or understand our Creator, Yahweh, and who in turn wrote a letter that sought to ridicule His Word and make a mockery of His commands. However, it also serves as yet another sign of the times we live in and was prophesied that we would witness in the End Times.

Psalm 35:16 With godless mockery they gnashed their teeth at me.

Psalm 74:10 God, how long will the foe mock? Will the enemy insult Your name forever?

Psalm 74:18 Remember this: the enemy has mocked the LORD, and a foolish people has insulted Your name.

Proverbs 1:22 "How long, foolish ones, will you love ignorance? [How long] will [you] mockers enjoy mocking and [you] fools hate knowledge?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Interesting, but I must disagree. I myself like to think I am a devote subscriber to Christ-like doctrine. I despise condemning, organized, religion because that's not what Jesus had intended, yet love Jesus Christ with all my heart and find truth in the bible. You may be surprised to learn that I am attending a large, public, and liberal University and in fact made the honour role this year due to my high grade point average? Do I want to brag about it? Only a little, but that's besides the point. While I was in my studies, I learned many valuable things from a wide variety of fields such as Economics, Psychology, Mathematics, History, and Englishes. I've spent a lot of time doing research in these things for essays and other work, along with lots of time in the text books and in class. Would it be accurate to say I lack intelligence and surrounding information? Oh it would be quite the contrary! Perhaps I've been more bombarded with a variety of information than most people here on ATS! Does it change my stance on my (as you would say "religious) views? Not even maybe!

The truth is, I know many fellow Christians that have attended post secondary education and entered the "real world" and are in fact more solid and mature in their Christian faith than before. I can confirm this. Spending time at University learning about many subjects has increased my faith in my Savior and lord Jesus Christ.

Like I said, not all Christians are ignorant. So please don't stereotype us. I don't stereotype non-theists.

Edit: I also do not have mental problems, just to clarify.

[edit on 073131p://111 by For(Home)Country]

[edit on 073131p://111 by For(Home)Country]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

well, can you please present me to this creator, I would like to know more

but ... how do you know all these things?

in my opinion, the only way for you to know our creator is that you are our creator!

nice to know you, its an honor, but I would like to know something:

how many women can I have when I die?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

The book of Mormon is not accepted on the same level
as the bible by either Christians or Jews.

And the new testament is not accepted by jews. What's your point?

The book of Mormon is on about the same level to the Apocrypha.

Only to you, because you don't accept it. Just like jews don't accept the new testament.

Jews --> old testament
Christians --> old testament + new testament
Mormons --> old testament + new testament + book of mormon

Why is it ok for christians to take what was, and add to it, but if mormons do exactly the same thing, it doesn't count?

Jesus was a jew, and christians believe he came and "updated" the previous rules. Just like Joseph Smith was a christian, and mormons believe he came and "updated" the rules.

Same = same.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by For(Home)Country

a lot of things that we are, are direct result of things or information we received in our past, so, maybe you got so many information about jesus christ that it is just part of your life, you just cant let it go ...

I said it like, well, access to information or some mental desease in this sense, but its a lot harder than that, each one of us have a different perspective, and who knows what you have been thought and what you want to believe ... I dont know you to analyze

and in my opinion, for a person to be smart, you just need to accept you dont know everything and you need to be open to everything, and thats the problem: most people are not open to things that are not in their "BOX" or confortable zone, and that may be your case, who knows

I just find it ironic you say you have access to information because you live or study in a college ... we all have access to some information, but, are we really open to all information or are we just filtering some to what our brain want us to ...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 31-5-2010 by alienreality]

[edit on 31-5-2010 by FlySolo]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality
This was really funny to read....

The thing that the author doesn't know (unless they did it for entertainment), or maybe to show hypocracy of today, etc.. is that the old testament laws don't even apply after the Christ was born. The new testament was the new law to be followed abandoning all those old testament rules. By following the old testament rules was God's agreement with the Jews for them to "stay out of trouble" in those times.. but after Christ was born and began preaching the gospel, the gospel superceded the Jew's need to follow all the old rules and do what Christ said instead... This was God's new agreement with humanity to follow Christ.
enjoyed the post, thank you

Since when do Orthodox jews follow the new testament? Huh? What?
Man, you Christians need to give your head a shake and stop following a book, EDITED book BTW, written by men and a Roman emperor. Your the contributing reason this world has gone to SH!T in a hand basket.

2000+ bloody years of this crap. My god...no MY GOD no MY god, no MY GOD. It makes me sick to my stomach. And, non of you can see how blinded you are by the pages that bind them. Crap crap crap. Wake up. Fine choose a god, stick with it and keep it to yourself. Believe in fairy dust for all I care but its time organized religion took a fall. Down with the church!!!

Flag for you

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonnaAaron
If this person had any inkling of who it is that he is mocking and any understanding of the seriousness in which it is taken, I am certain he would not have done so. I don't feel that letter was funny at all. It came from someone who does not know or understand our Creator, Yahweh, and who in turn wrote a letter that sought to ridicule His Word and make a mockery of His commands. However, it also serves as yet another sign of the times we live in and was prophesied that we would witness in the End Times.

Psalm 35:16 With godless mockery they gnashed their teeth at me.

Psalm 74:10 God, how long will the foe mock? Will the enemy insult Your name forever?

Psalm 74:18 Remember this: the enemy has mocked the LORD, and a foolish people has insulted Your name.

Proverbs 1:22 "How long, foolish ones, will you love ignorance? [How long] will [you] mockers enjoy mocking and [you] fools hate knowledge?

Amen!
That's like the man in the following story

Florida Court Sets Atheist Holy Day! You've Got to love this Judge! This happened several years ago.

You must read this.....a proper decision by the courts...for a change.

FLORIDA COURT SETS ATHEIST HOLY DAY

In Florida, an atheist created a case against the upcoming Easter and Passover Holy days. He hired an attorney to bring a discrimination case against Christians and Jews and observances of their holy days. The argument was that it was unfair that atheists had no such recognized days.
The case was brought before a judge. After listening to the passionate presentation by the lawyer, the judge banged his gavel declaring, "Case dismissed!"

The lawyer immediately stood objecting to the ruling saying, "Your honor, How can you possibly dismiss this case? The Christians have Christmas, Easter and others. The Jews have Passover, Yom Kippur and Hanukkah, yet my client and all other atheists have no such holidays."

The judge leaned forward in his chair saying, "But you do. Your client, counsel, is woefully ignorant."

The lawyer said, "Your Honor, we are unaware of any special observance or holiday for atheists."

The judge said, "The calendar says April 1st is April Fools Day. Psalm 14:1 states, 'The fool says in his heart, there is no God.' Thus, it is the opinion of this court, that, if your client says there is no God, then he is a fool. Therefore, April 1st is his day. Court is adjourned.."

You have got to love a Judge that knows his scripture!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The OP was concerned with Orthodox Judaism. Orthodox Judaism does not accept any new covenant, so the letter stands addressing that, not addressing the new testament. Christians may consider themselves updated Jews, but the Jews do not consider this to be true at all.

I would like to hear a response from an Orthodox Jew, not from Christians, as it does not pertain to them.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Jesus was a jew, and christians believe he came and "updated" the previous rules. Just like Joseph Smith was a christian, and mormons believe he came and "updated" the rules. Same = same.

Your equating Joseph Smith with Jesus Christ

How about this Joseph Smith = Mohamed, that is a better comparison.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

I really dont think the letter is mocking the word of Yahweh.

First of all, no one has any way of knowing whose word it actually is, but even for many of us who do believe in some form of a Divine, those words seem suspiciously like the words of a human, not a God. For those who believe in no God at all, they cannot be mocking the word God. As they see it, those words could only be of human origin.

Secondly, the letter is actually mocking people who pretend that they take the "word of God" in the Bible as the literal truth. Because they dont. I cant think of any Christian I have ever known in all my years who follow the laws brought up in that letter. Which is the point. People who claim to take the whole Bible as the literal truth tend to choose the parts that suit them, and ignore the parts that dont.

It is the hypocrisy that is being mocked. Not the word of God.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I've always secretly mulled this around myself over the years...if the Bible is sacred, how is amending it defensible?

Either the whole thing is gospel or the whole thing is a giant comic book.

If I got to pick and choose which laws I wish to obey, I'd be in jail.

I'm thinking of forming a religion based on reason, consistency and '___'.

edit to add: oops, I just remembered that drug advocacy is a T&C violation, however, reference to '___' is of religious relevance.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by guavas]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
That Letter has been refit for several different occasions. I have seen it before in chain email spam form. I know, you could go find a worn out richard dawkins quote instead.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Hilarious article!!! Made my night!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

This is really not funny and definitely not informative. Any person who has not just read the bible but studied it would understand how silly this post is. This person has obviously never researched any of the verses they have quoted. It takes a great deal of time to translate these verses and most people do not want make that investment. They would rather just assume from one reading of a verse, with out the benefit of research, what it means. Of course a person is free to do that,but then they should not expect to be taken
seriously.

The Militant Homosexuals have been trying for over a decade to try to strip Dr. Laura of
her right to free speech. I take it since you are posting this you also believe she has no right to free speech. Care to tell me why?
www.lifeissues.net...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by rick1
This person has obviously never researched any of the verses they have quoted.

Researched them? What research do you need to do?

Originally posted by rick1
It takes a great deal of time to translate these verses and most people do not want make that investment. They would rather just assume from one reading of a verse, with out the benefit of research, what it means.

By research do you mean having someone else explain to you from childhood on why you should listen to some parts and not others? "Bible study" where someone corrects any interpretation you might have that the church doesnt agree with? Because where I am from thats called "indoctrination" not "research."

And I dont think anyone is trying to deny Dr. Laura her free speech. I think this is just an exercise of more free speech.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

By your answer I am not sure you understand what research is. But you have a computer so at least you can look the word up.
A question for you.
the commandment THOU SHALL NOT KILL
What does the word KILL mean

No one is any longer trying to deny Dr. Laura her right of free speech they have already succeeded. Are you really that unaware. I mean really. There was a nation wide
campaign by homosexuals to stop this woman from not only getting a tv show but destroying her. The mainstream tv and print media was involved. The internet was involved. Imagine if they turned their sites on you or ATS. Organizing to end another
persons free speech is not an exercise of more free speech.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by rick1]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Bravo Bravo. I loved the letter. I hate it when people quote the bible. They only want to quote what shounds good at that place in time. Maybe it sounded good a couple of thousand years ago. Then again, maybe not.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join