It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Can't I Own a Canadian?--A Religious Letter

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by spookfish

To everyone who even doubted in the slightest that this was sarcasm, I say hello, you must be American. It's just not possible for any other nationality on Earth to come up with those replies.To all you bible bashing nutters out there COME ON take a pill for [snip]s sake.

Does that mean we are the stupidist group of people on the planet?

Woohooo! "We're number one! We're number one!"

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
People are laughing and making jest of things they don't understand.

People don't seem to understand the bible, all the laws in the old testament not confirmed by the new testament, were done away with.

Romans 7:6

6 But now we have been discharged from the Law, because we have died to that by which we were being held fast, that we might be slaves in a new sense by the spirit, and not in the old sense by the written code.

Romans 10:4 Amplified Bible

4For Christ is the end of the Law [the limit at which it ceases to be, for the Law leads up to Him Who is the fulfillment of its types, and in Him the purpose which it was designed to accomplish is fulfilled. That is, the purpose of the Law is fulfilled in Him] as the means of righteousness (right relationship to God) for everyone who trusts in and adheres to and relies on Him.

Colossians 2: 13&14

But God made you alive with Christ when he forgave all our failures. 14He did this by erasing the charges that were brought against us by the written laws God had established. He took the charges away by nailing them to the stauros'

Hebrews 7:18&19

18The former requirements are rejected because they are weak and useless. 19Moses' Teachings couldn't accomplish everything that God required. But we have something else that gives us greater confidence and allows us to approach God.

So all these arguments about slaves are strawmen.

If you have a problem as to why the old law is so different, that is a different thread. But it has everything to do with Jesus buying humanity enormous flexibility and forgiveness, something the ancient pre-christian Jews never had.

Offenses that used to be instant death sentences, were now to be treated completely differently. It truly was 180 degrees turn about. From maximum punishments to instant mercy and forgiveness.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Funny thing about this thread is that when I last tried to post a serious question regarding Abrahamic faith, namely the historical veracity of Jesus Christ, it was moved to BTS...

I guess this thread is popular though, so here it is. Well, as far as the scriptures go, I've seen these exact questions posed in the same order, no less, for years now. This is a common "email"... But I guess some folks have to get their feet wet sooner or later. Hopefully it will raise some questions for folks who simply parrot the cherrypicked passages they hear in church on a weekly basis.

S&F

[edit on 31-5-2010 by JayinAR]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by alienreality

I am absolutely positive the writer was being sarcastic/satirical.

But if what you say is true, then that means you are saying the ten commandments don't have to be followed by Christians. So could you justify murder and cheating for me? Is that what you think? I doubt it.

OP great find and thanks for the laugh.

haha nice try, no what you are saying is not correct....
Following the new testament does not mean you can inclusively discard every single thing from the old... especially not the 10 commandments...

When you actually read or study it even a little bit you would see how the new testament was meant to be understood and how to integrate what it says with what to also do with the old.
Mostly the only old things that were meant to be discarded were all those little rules like eating pork a certain way, or is salt okay on thursdays... that kind of stuff...
You see..... by following the old rules before, it was the agreement that God fearing folks that followed the letter of those rules were being obedient to God, it was how the people showed reverance and respect to God before Christ came....
After Christ came everything was being changed. no longer following the old rules could you be saved... instead, you had to believe by faith and by stopping doing any sin, (repentance)
This was God's new covenant with mankind (the new testament)

Who makes the decision to decide what gets used and what gets discarded?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
you can´t own a canadian because you don´t have money to buy it.
canadians are very expensive these days.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I highly enjoyed this post. But sadly this is yet another reason I do not trust many religious people. They tend to pick and chose what to believe from a book that is known to have many of the orginally text left out. So technically were getting the left overs the Council of Nicea felt the people of this needed to know, not what we should know.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

old testament laws don't even apply after the Christ was born.

That is a christian perspective. Laura Schlessinger is not a christian. She is a jew.

If you're going to say that the new testmaent supercedes the old testament, then presumably it's ok to say that the book of mormon supercedes the new testament. After all, the mormons took your book and added to it just like you took the jewish book and added to it.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Great post. Something to tell the bible fanatics . Really the author of the letter summarised it very very well. I hope somebody would have photographed that woman when reading the letter. It would have been PRICLESS!!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
from my own experience you only rent a canadian

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by For(Home)Country
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Perhaps you recognize that fact, but I would have to argue that many of the "enlightened" and "non-ignorant" ones here on ATS claim that no good has come out of Christianity, and no intelligence can be seen within a "religious" person. This is obviously false as intelligent people can be religious or non religious.

I find it fascinating that religious people use flawed documents to live their lives by. In the IT industry, we call that GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out).

What's less fascinating, and more than a bit scary is how people use religion to validate their bias, bigotry, or hate. Doing that just makes your religion look bad.

Love your neighbor as you love yourself. It's a tenet of ALL major religions. There is not a major religion and almost no minor religions that don't have something based on "The Golden Rule". Yet, I see people going against it all the time. It's too bad the bible has so many inconsistencies. Overall, it's a great set of stories, and I'm sure many would find worth if it weren't for the drivel people get out of it.

link   

Originally posted by derfred33
you can´t own a canadian because you don´t have money to buy it.
canadians are very expensive these days.

not to mention keeping them healthy in their natural habitats !
The hockey ice and canadian beer must be the perfect temperature at all time for the wild canadian to survive and prosper

Just kidding
Canadians are great !!!!

[edit on 31-5-2010 by jfj123]

link   
reply to post by mateandbucky06

just a small detail, the bible is not a book in the sense we usually mean it, it is simply a compilation of stories. there were other stories circulating at that time and those stories included are probably not originals.

it was created to establish a base on which a confused and somehow contradictory religion was being developed.

the bible is an agreement. many people had the chance to argue about its contents.

the new testament or the bible as we call it could be re edited today with the same legitimacy as it was done 1700 years ago.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality
This was really funny to read....

The thing that the author doesn't know (unless they did it for entertainment), or maybe to show hypocracy of today, etc.. is that the old testament laws don't even apply after the Christ was born.
[edit on 31-5-2010 by alienreality]

Ok. Could you explain this to me?

Matthew 5:17-18 Jesus says: 17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

1For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

It sounds to me like Jesus was upholding the law of the Old Testament.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
spookfish THATS HILARIOUS YOU ALL MUST BE AMERICAN to think the op wasn't sarcastic I use this all the time go on youtube and lookup americans on the streets like people go out and trivia random americans and they have no clue about the other countries and most of the time their own! lol if you did that in canada or anywhere else you'd having a hard time finding people who do not know canada has prime ministers america has a president, washington D.C not a state it's own country is the capital of the states and ottawa is the capitol of canada and melbourne or w.e is the capital of australia and so on and so forth india's capitcal china's TOO BAD THE NATIVES DON'T HAVE A #IGN COUNTRY TAKE THAT WAR TORN cOUNTRIES AT least nobody can say they've ever dealt with a successfull genoncide.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
apologize for lack of grammar

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Having lived most of my life in Santa Barbara, California, I can definitely say Dr. Laura is far from the most respected person in town.

Her office is (or at least was) at the end of the SB Wharf, and paid for by the city for some reason no-one I knew could figure out.

"A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?"

The wharf is where thousands of tourists and locals go to buy shellfish every year. Directly across the pier from the *good Doctor's* office.

Hope this isn't too far off topic. Just trying to mock Dr. Laura's self serving hypocrisy.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
If anyone here hasn't noticed even SLIGHTLY yet that the bible runs on doublespeak, you're hopeless.

It says to uphold the old testament and at the same time it says to cast it away.

It says to love everyone and at the same time to kill all nonbelievers

It says to pretty much do one thing and says to do the other as well.

Blame the fact that it's been translated and manipulated over 1600 years. Or blame the fact that it is mostly a tool of control and few will actually understand who Christ was and what he was about by reading the "word of God".

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket

old testament laws don't even apply after the Christ was born.

That is a christian perspective. Laura Schlessinger is not a christian. She is a jew.

If you're going to say that the new testmaent supercedes the old testament, then presumably it's ok to say that the book of mormon supercedes the new testament. After all, the mormons took your book and added to it just like you took the jewish book and added to it.

Jesus was Jewish and had the power to end the Mosaic law superseding it.
The book of Mormon is not accepted on the same level as the bible by either Christians or Jews.
The book of Mormon is on about the same level to the Apocrypha.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC
If anyone here hasn't noticed even SLIGHTLY yet that the bible runs on doublespeak, you're hopeless.

It says to uphold the old testament and at the same time it says to cast it away.

It says to love everyone and at the same time to kill all nonbelievers

It says to pretty much do one thing and says to do the other as well.

Blame the fact that it's been translated and manipulated over 1600 years. Or blame the fact that it is mostly a tool of control and few will actually understand who Christ was and what he was about by reading the "word of God".

If it doesn't make sense to you and you don't feel compelled to do research, it must be stupid, wrong, irrelevant, and inconsistent, amirite?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/78b05745e3b4.jpg[/atsimg]

Thanks for the giggle, Keeper... But alas, logic NEVER works with the religious...

hahaahha this is the best thread of the day for sure hahaha

this just shows you how ignorant are people that try to interpret everything on ancient books like they were written

people need to understand that there is a context, these texts were written in another culture, so, off course, everything they experienced had to do with their culture

if they saw a modern plane or an astronaut man in that time, what would they say? they would say its GOD or whatever, simply because they didnt understand the art of flying or space travel ...

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join