It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Can't I Own a Canadian?--A Religious Letter

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by alienreality

I am absolutely positive the writer was being sarcastic/satirical.

But if what you say is true, then that means you are saying the ten commandments don't have to be followed by Christians. So could you justify murder and cheating for me? Is that what you think? I doubt it.

OP great find and thanks for the laugh.

haha nice try, no what you are saying is not correct....
Following the new testament does not mean you can inclusively discard every single thing from the old... especially not the 10 commandments...

When you actually read or study it even a little bit you would see how the new testament was meant to be understood and how to integrate what it says with what to also do with the old.
Mostly the only old things that were meant to be discarded were all those little rules like eating pork a certain way, or is salt okay on thursdays... that kind of stuff...
You see..... by following the old rules before, it was the agreement that God fearing folks that followed the letter of those rules were being obedient to God, it was how the people showed reverance and respect to God before Christ came....
After Christ came everything was being changed. no longer following the old rules could you be saved... instead, you had to believe by faith and by stopping doing any sin, (repentance)
This was God's new covenant with mankind (the new testament)

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

Haha!

I can't stop laughing, that was a side splitter!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality
This was really funny to read....

The thing that the author doesn't know (unless they did it for entertainment), or maybe to show hypocracy of today, etc.. is that the old testament laws don't even apply after the Christ was born. The new testament was the new law to be followed abandoning all those old testament rules. By following the old testament rules was God's agreement with the Jews for them to "stay out of trouble" in those times.. but after Christ was born and began preaching the gospel, the gospel superceded the Jew's need to follow all the old rules and do what Christ said instead... This was God's new agreement with humanity to follow Christ.
enjoyed the post, thank you

[edit on 31-5-2010 by alienreality]

You clearly said ALL the old testament rules.....twice.
Just saying...

Bold and underline added by me.

[edit on 31/5/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
You can laugh and mock us all you want, but the truth is, to call us all ignorant, stupid, and illogical is just ironic. There are some smart people out there who happen to be Christians, Muslims, etc. However, due to the intolerance for intolerance here on ATS, people will proudly bash a religious view despite the fact that they are a mighty crusader in the "acceptance" and "free speech" army.

We all have flaws. There, I said it.

[edit on 033131p://111 by For(Home)Country]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by juniperberry

Originally posted by alienreality
This was God's new agreement with humanity to follow Christ.

And where is THAT written down?

Matthew 22:34-40: But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, Teacher, which is the great commandment of the law? Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it. You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the Prophets.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

According to the bible, Jesus officially proclaimed that those laws were the cultural misguiding of a people more interested on identity rather than God.

6He replied, "Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written: " 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. 7They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.' 8You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men."

Laws of Moses = Laws of men. God gave man the ten commandments and then Jesus compressed them all into 2. So.... This thread is done.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The old testament is called "The School Master". To show the way to Christ. The only religion God knows is, Help orphans, widows and keep yourself unblemished from the world.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobra5000

I dont see how that is proof that Jesus said to ignore all the other laws.

As I read it, he is just saying that all the other more specific laws are elaborations of those two points.

Which SHOULD tell you that if you find and follow something in the Bible that causes you to violate those two principles, (love God, love all others) you are headed off in a wrong direction.

You know, such as hating homosexuals.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by For(Home)Country

I don't think anyone is seriously saying all Christians are stupid. C.S. Lewis was one of the most brilliant logicians and philologists ever, and he converted to Christianity (at least his version of it).

But you have to admit the Bible as a sacred text has a LOT of contradictions in it.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Dynamitrios

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstance.

Laura forgot to tell people that the law to which she refers would apply only to Jews, not Gentiles. Here is a link to Mosaic Law (which she quotes):

en.wikipedia.org...

And we have the following quote:

Rabbinic Judaism[4] asserts that the Laws of the Jewish Bible were presented to the Jewish people and converts to Judaism and do not apply to gentiles, including Christians, with the notable exception of the Seven Laws of Noah which apply to all people.

See:

en.wikipedia.org...

Leviticus 18:22 is part of the 613 Mitzvot and according to most rabbis it does not apply to gentiles.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Great Find

It's funny when people like her are put in their place

starred and flagged !

Let hypocrisy reign !!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Perhaps you recognize that fact, but I would have to argue that many of the "enlightened" and "non-ignorant" ones here on ATS claim that no good has come out of Christianity, and no intelligence can be seen within a "religious" person. This is obviously false as intelligent people can be religious or non religious.

Many members of ATS blame the main stream media for it's sensationalist tactics that render popular news useless, but what they fail to realize is that they fall prey to this exact tactic that they so passionately despise. They find a topic with a sensationalist headline and then cling to it as if it was true for all those associated with the act.

I am a proud Christian who loves the Lord my God with all my heart, and believes in the truth that is the word of God. However, don't you dare call me ignorant or foolish because I could make the same classification about you without knowing what you are really like in real life. Do I dare suggest that all Atheists are moral less stupid-heads? Of course not because such a statement would be harsh, not to mention inaccurate!

It seems as if the many "enlightened" ones here on ATS are so "enlightened" that they possess the ability to stereotype, yet at the same time call out the same old motto of denying ignorance when someone tries to defend their own point of view. Hypocrisy has run amok here.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by For(Home)Country
You can laugh and mock us all you want, but the truth is, to call us all ignorant, stupid, and illogical is just ironic. There are some smart people out there who happen to be Christians, Muslims, etc. However, due to the intolerance for intolerance here on ATS, people will proudly bash a religious view despite the fact that they are a mighty crusader in the "acceptance" and "free speech" army.

We all have flaws. There, I said it.

[edit on 033131p://111 by For(Home)Country]

For myself I can say that I'm not a basher of religion but the hypocrisy shown by some individuals who practice said religion.

The OP showed ms. laura's hypocracy in a very entertaining way

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
As funny as that open letter was, it pales in comparison to some of the replies on this thread.

To everyone who even doubted in the slightest that this was sarcasm, I say hello, you must be American. It's just not possible for any other nationality on Earth to come up with those replies.To all you bible bashing nutters out there COME ON take a pill for [snip]s sake.

Also can someone educated in such matters a answer a question for me. What does God, Jesus and The Bible have to say about uranium-238s half life of 4.47 billion years and that of uranium-235s 704 million year half life. It confuses the hell out of me, what with how young the Earth is and all.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill" (Matthew 5:17)

"I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" (Gospel of Matthew 10:34)

Are you sure about that, i guess as usual im 'misinterpreting' the quotes....

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRJ58
The old testament is called "The School Master". To show the way to Christ. The only religion God knows is, Help orphans, widows and keep yourself unblemished from the world.

Yes but the majority of "christians" just sit around judging Orphans and Widows.... NOT helping them!

Also they quite regularily call me an idiot and tell me to f off for expressing spiritual concepts that contradict their biblical doctrination...

So not Christ like..... Jesus din't like religion either, he ripped the pharasees and saducees baloney to shreds!

So being non religious does not mean you don't want to follow Jesus, in fact, many athiests are better at it than most self rightious bible thumpers...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

But doesn't the bible also say that God is unchanging? Has always been and always will be.

This is the typical Christian response to try to fit a square peg in a round hole. Meshing the old testament with the new testament.

The God of the old testament was intolerant, vengeful and jealous. The God of the new testament was tolerant, forgiving and unconditionally loving.

We're supposed to believe that God did a 180 degree turn around in his personality just because he sent Jesus as a sacrifice. I just don't buy it.

Besides, the op is about a Jew. They don't have the new testament so it doesn't even pertain to this story anyway.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Reflection

If you did some research into Apologetics, you would find that yes, God sending his Son Jesus Christ to die on the cross significantly changed the way he operated and handed out grace.

Of course, many non-theists would never dare to look into the logical justification and explanation of Christian theology so the assumption is expected.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I would love to see the response to this.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reflection

But doesn't the bible also say that God is unchanging? Has always been and always will be.

This is the typical Christian response to try to fit a square peg in a round hole. Meshing the old testament with the new testament.

The God of the old testament was intolerant, vengeful and jealous. The God of the new testament was tolerant, forgiving and unconditionally loving.

We're supposed to believe that God did a 180 degree turn around in his personality just because he sent Jesus as a sacrifice. I just don't buy it.

Besides, the op is about a Jew. They don't have the new testament so it doesn't even pertain to this story anyway.

When you were working on your school homework, I'm sure you had more then one draft too ?

Haven't you heard of the old testament, new testament, king james, etc.. bibles ?
Obviously god made mistakes in the first draft so he had to print an update:
Bible redoux

No harm no fowl

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join