It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foul-Mouthed Irish MP Escapes Punishment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
An MP who shouted "f*** you" at an opposition politician in the Irish parliament will not face punishment because of a precedent set in 1947.

Paul Gogarty of the Green party, which forms part of the ruling coalition, swore twice during a rant in the lower house of parliament last December. He apologised immediatley for his ' unparlimentary language'. The committee said it found Mr Goartys comments were 'contempt of an aggravated nature', it considers them to have been ill-judged, unwarranted, to have reflected extremely badly on the member in question and to have brought the house into disrepute, But it also found that a similar incident in 1947 was resolved after those involved apologised and continued "to appear valid and reasonable".

The committee decide to take the same course of action. The official parliamentary account of the debate records Mr Gogarty as saying: "With all due respect, in the most unparliamentary language, f*** you Deputy Stagg. F***you'.

Heres a link to him swearing at parliament:

www.youtube.com...

I think he did well, he was only verbalizing what everyone else was thinking, fairplay to him!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Fixed.

Although not the best thing to say it's pretty funny to watch. People get very passionate when angry, you can tell he regretted it the second he said it. I personally don't see it as a big deal, fair enough they let him off.

Being Irish myself I must say swearing is a lot more acceptable over there so this doesn't come as much of a shock that an MP has used bad language.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by Scope and a Beam]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Scope and a Beam

Thank you
Im still working out the how to embed a video part.

Yeah it was funny to watch, and at least he said 'with all due respect before it'
I suppose it is just another example of the effect the global economic crisis can have on people.

Swearing is quite common here but he is lucky he didnt say anything that would be considered blasphemy as that is considered a crime in Ireland now, punishable by a fine up to 25,000 euro's.

Completely ridiculous i say.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Jeepers. Quite a strong way to put a point across but if some idiot won't shut up, fair enough!

The New Zealand parliament always amazes me, it's like watching a classroom full of kids on a sugar high. It can be disgusting thinking that we pay for them to do that as well, whilst creating more ficticious laws and taxes.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
LOL Well at least he didn't punch him in the face. He could of at least done worse to the guy.

top topics

join