It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solenodon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Here is an animal that few have seen and many may never see. He is becoming extinct.
I have been trying to upload a photo, but media login isn't working for me.
Here is the article:
"Conservationists from the UK are scouring the Dominican Republic with the hopes of finding the elusive Solenodon, a strange-looking creature that faces growing threats to its survival. The nocturnal animal boasts a litany of unique attributes including being the only mammal able to inject venom with its teeth as well as a lineage which dates back 76 million years. More on the story, including video of the search for the Solenodon, can be found at BBC News. "
Sorry I can't give you a picture. He seems to be cute little animal.
You can view him a Coasttocoastam.com and if you can upload the pic, many thanks in advance.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Hi Zachi,

Here is a link to BBC - contains a picture and video.

Peace!

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 31-5-2010 by The Wave]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I'm glad it is summer, it definitely brings more cryptozoology threads.

Venomous and poisonous mammals are interesting. They are a genetic link between reptiles and mammals.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Did you know that the survivors of the Permian extinction were that happened before the age of the Dinosaur were more mammal then reptile ?

I couldn't find it this quick but you have a good start if you start with this vid.

Enjoy.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by zachi
He seems to be cute little animal.

While he could be considered cute by some, I don't think I want to come across the path of a venomous mammal. This creature is strange indeed!

it is the only mammal that can inject venom through its teeth, the same way a snake does.

The poison, while not deadly to humans, is the perfect tool for the insectivore, allowing it to dine on bugs as it moves around the forest at night.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Hi Iamonlyhuman,

You are probably aware that the male Australian Platypus is also venomous - this time via a spur on it's hind legs... again this is a mammal (but the female lays eggs).

Link from Wiki

en.wikipedia.org...

Peace!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by The Wave

No I was not aware of that. Thanks for the heads up, I hope I don't come across the path of one of those either!

Isn't the world a fascinating place!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

including being the only mammal able to inject venom with its teeth

I think this particular statement could be misconstrued to suggest that the Solenodon is the only mammal to be able to do this but this is not the case.

Below are listed the other mammals that are venomous including, as has already been posted the, Platypus

Platypus (Ornithorhyncus anatinus)
Males have a venomous spur on their hind legs. Echidnas, the other monotremes, have spurs but no functional venom glands.

Eurasian water shrew (Neomys fodiens)
Capable of delivering a venomous bite.

Northern Short-tailed Shrew (Blarina brevicauda)
Capable of delivering a venomous bite.

Southern Short-tailed Shrew (Blarina carolinensis) & Elliot's Short-tailed Shrew (Blarina hylophaga)
Possibly have a venomous bite.

European Mole (Talpa europaea)
The European mole, and possibly other species of mole [3], has toxins in its saliva that can paralyze earthworms, allowing it to store them for later consumption.

Source

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
What about this one.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/16c0f47ac37c.jpg[/atsimg]

Don't know its name some sort of lori But it is venomous.

Ah I found it and my picture is better then the one on wiki Ha.

A slow Lori

[edit on 5/31/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by The Wave

Thanks for posting the link. They don't seem particularly aggressive. The man handled it with gloves, but it didn't look like it was struggling or trying to bite. Even flash bulbs didn't seem to ruffle it's composure. He did seem to be looking for a place to get out of the sun, but not frantically.
Interesting critter.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

I hadn't heard ot that before, thanks for the video link. What animals are considered surviours of the Permian event?
I understand linking reptiles with mammals on the basis of venom, but spiders, scorpians, man of war, jelly fish, and various other plants and animals are considered venemous or poisionous.
Having a way to defend yourself is just good survival techniques. Whether its thorns or fangs or just peeing on the enemy, you need something.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sherpa

Hi Sherpa,
Thanks for the comment. I did a little checking. All of the animals you listed have venom in their saliva. The bit is poisonous because of the saliva. The selenodon have specialized teeth that deliver the venom. That is why it is special. It is very disticnt from the other mammals.

Iamonly human,
Not cute you say, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Althought his "ratty" tail isn't endearing, I like the rest of him. Of couse, I think hedgehogs are neat too.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

reply to post by sherpa

Hi Sherpa,
Thanks for the comment. I did a little checking. All of the animals you listed have venom in their saliva. The bit is poisonous because of the saliva. The selenodon have specialized teeth that deliver the venom. That is why it is special. It is very disticnt from the other mammals.

I don't think even the groove is special :

European water shrews, for instance, have a deep groove in the lower front tooth to help direct the venom from a duct at the base of the tooth into the prey.

Source

And from my previous posts link :

Cuban Solenodon (Atopogale cubana) & Hispaniolan Solenodon (Solenodon paradoxus)
Solenodons look similar to very large shrews. They both have venomous bites; the venom is delivered from modified salivary glands via grooves in their second lower incisors.

Again saliva

[edit on 31-5-2010 by sherpa]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sherpa

I think you're right. You just can't trust anyone these days. That's why we need ATS.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

reply to post by sherpa

I think you're right. You just can't trust anyone these days. That's why we need ATS.

It is called journalism adding a few half truths can get a report a little more attention

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by zachi

Thanks for the post!

I have never heard of this creature, nor seen it. A fascinating lil' bugger for sure!
I ran across this vid for reference.
Peace

Solenodon

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thanks for the video. He is certianly an intersting creature. I have an armadillo in the yard and he leaves nose pokes too.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Here is an animal that few have seen and many may never see. He is becoming extinct.
I have been trying to upload a photo, but media login isn't working for me.
Here is the article:
"Conservationists from the UK are scouring the Dominican Republic with the hopes of finding the elusive Solenodon, a strange-looking creature that faces growing threats to its survival. The nocturnal animal boasts a litany of unique attributes including being the only mammal able to inject venom with its teeth as well as a lineage which dates back 76 million years. More on the story, including video of the search for the Solenodon, can be found at BBC News. "
Sorry I can't give you a picture. He seems to be cute little animal.
You can view him a Coasttocoastam.com and if you can upload the pic, many thanks in advance.

Cool post!

Looks kinda like a opossum

new topics

top topics

join