It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lest We Ever Forget...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Flags at Half -Staff Steve Jirak Solo Fingerstyle Guitar

I wrote this piece for America, for those times when she is in mourning for the brave men and women who have died for her, and especially for the loved ones left behind.

Steve Jirak

Thank you Steve for that moving tribute to those left behind by those that have gone ahead.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

All Gave Some, Some Gave All

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

There is a rich history in my family of military service and I thank each and every one of them for it. All fallen soldiers, veterans and my fellow brothers and sisters in uniform now (and their families) need our thanks and prayers.

Thank you for this nice thread to Memorial Day.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
To All My Buddies Who Did Not Come Back With Me
A Soldiers Prayer.

The Soldier stood and faced God Which must always come to pass
He hoped his shoes were shining Just as bright as his brass.

"Step forward you Soldier, How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My Church have you been true?"
The Solider squared his shoulders and said "No, Lord, I guess I ain't
Because those of us who carry guns Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work on Sundays And at times my talk was tough,
And sometimes I've been violent, Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny That wasn't mine to keep.
Though I worked a lot of overtime When the bills got just to steep,

And I never passed a cry for help Though at times I shook with fear,
And sometimes, God forgive me, I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place Among the people here.
They never wanted me around Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord, It needn't be so grand,
I never expected or had too much, But if you don't, I'll understand."

There was silence all around the throne Where the saints had often trod
As the Soldier waited quietly, For the judgement of his God.

"Step forward now, you Soldier, You've borne your burden well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets, You've done your time in Hell."

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

While I may certainly have my differences of opinion with Government, our military does their duty, their service, and their jobs in defending our country.

Army Cadences: Hail Oh Infantry

Quote from : Wikipedia : United States Army

The United States Army is the branch of the United States armed forces responsible for land-based military operations.

It is the largest and oldest established branch of the U.S. military, and is one of seven uniformed services.

The modern Army has its roots in the Continental Army which was formed on 14 June 1775, before the establishment of the United States, to meet the demands of the American Revolutionary War.

Congress created the United States Army on 14 June 1784 after the end of the war to replace the disbanded Continental Army.

The Army considers itself to be descended from the Continental Army and thus dates its inception from the origins of that force.

The primary mission of the Army is to "provide necessary forces and capabilities ... in support of the National Security and Defense Strategies."

Control and operation is administered by the Department of the Army, one of the three military departments of the Department of Defense.

The civilian head is the Secretary of the Army and the highest ranking military officer in the department is the Chief of Staff, unless the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff or Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff are Army officers.

In fiscal year 2009, the Regular Army reported a strength of 549,015 soldiers; the Army National Guard (ARNG) reported 358,391 and the United States Army Reserve (USAR) reported 205,297 putting the combined component strength total at 1,112,703 soldiers.

Navy Cadence

Quote from : Wikipedia : United States Navy

The United States Navy (USN) is the sea branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. It is one of the seven uniformed services of the United States.

As of 31 December 2008, the U.S. Navy had about 331,682 personnel on active duty and 124,000 in the Navy Reserve.

It operates 284 ships in active service and more than 3,700 aircraft.

The U.S. Navy is the largest in the world; its battle fleet tonnage is greater than that of the next 13 largest navies combined.

The U.S. Navy also has the world's largest carrier fleet, with 11 in service and one under construction.

The Navy traces its origins to the Continental Navy, which was established during the American Revolutionary War and was essentially disbanded as a separate entity shortly thereafter.

The United States Constitution provided the legal basis for a military force by giving Congress the power "to provide and maintain a navy".

Depredations against American shipping by Barbary Coast pirates in the Mediterranean Sea spurred Congress to employ this power by passing the Naval Act of 1794 ordering the construction and manning of six frigates.

These ships were used to end most pirate activity off the Barbary Coast.

In the twentieth century American blue-water navy capability was demonstrated by the 1907–1909 world tour of the Great White Fleet.

The 21st century United States Navy maintains a sizable global presence, deploying in such areas as East Asia, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East.

It is a blue water navy with the ability to project force onto the littoral regions of the world, engage in forward areas during peacetime, and rapidly respond to regional crises, making it an active player in American foreign and defense policy.

The Navy is administratively managed by the Department of the Navy, which is headed by the civilian Secretary of the Navy.

The Department of the Navy is itself a division of the Department of Defense, which is headed by the Secretary of Defense.

The highest ranking Naval officer is the Chief of Naval Operations.

U.S. Air Force running Cadence

Quote from : Wikipedia : United States Air Force

The United States Air Force (USAF) is the aerial warfare, space warfare, and cyberwarfare branch of the U.S. armed forces and one of the American uniformed services.

Initially part of the United States Army, the USAF was formed as a separate branch of the military on 18 September 1947 under the National Security Act of 1947.

It is the most recent branch of the U.S. military to be formed.

In its 2010 Posture Statement, the USAF articulates its core functions as Nuclear Deterrence Operations, Special Operations, Air Superiority, Global Integrated ISR, Space Superiority, Command and Control, Cyberspace Superiority, Personnel Recovery, Global Precision Attack, Building Partnerships, Rapid Global Mobility and Agile Combat Support.

As of 2009
Important Topic Updates
the USAF operates 5,573 manned aircraft in service (3,990 USAF; 1,213 Air National Guard; and 370 Air Force Reserve); approximately 180 unmanned combat air vehicles, 2,130 air-launched cruise missiles, and 450 intercontinental ballistic missiles.

The USAF has 330,159 personnel on active duty, 68,872 in the Selected and Individual Ready Reserves, and 94,753 in the Air National Guard as of September 2008.

In addition, the USAF employs 151,360 civilian personnel, and has 57,000 auxiliary members in the Civil Air Patrol.

The Department of the Air Force is headed by the civilian Secretary of the Air Force who oversees all administrative and policy affairs.

The Department of the Air Force is a division of the Department of Defense, headed by the Secretary of Defense.

The highest ranking military officer in the Department of the Air Force is the Chief of Staff of the Air Force.

USMC Cadence. 'Mama Can't you see.'

Quote from : Wikipedia : United States Marine Corps

The United States Marine Corps (USMC) is a branch of the United States armed forces responsible for providing force projection from the sea, using the mobility of the United States Navy to rapidly deliver combined-arms task forces.

It is one of seven uniformed services of the United States.

In the civilian leadership structure of the United States military, the Marine Corps is a component of the United States Department of the Navy, often working closely with U.S. naval forces for training, transportation and logistic purposes; however, in the military leadership structure the Marine Corps is a separate branch.

Captain Samuel Nicholas formed two battalions of Continental Marines on 10 November 1775 in Philadelphia as naval infantry.

Since then, the mission of the Marine Corps has evolved with changing military doctrine and American foreign policy.

The Marine Corps has served in every American armed conflict and attained prominence in the 20th century when its theories and practices of amphibious warfare proved prescient and ultimately formed the cornerstone of the Pacific campaign of World War II.

By the mid-20th century, the Marine Corps had become the dominant theorist and practitioner of amphibious warfare.

Its ability to respond rapidly to regional crises gives it a strong role in the implementation and execution of American foreign policy.

The United States Marine Corps includes just over 203,000 (as of October 2009) active duty Marines and just under 40,000 reserve Marines.

It is the smallest of the United States' armed forces in the Department of Defense (the United States Coast Guard is smaller, about one-fifth the size of the Marine Corps, but is normally under the Department of Homeland Security).

The Marine Corps is nonetheless larger than the entire armed forces of many significant military powers; for example, it is larger than the active duty Israel Defense Forces or the whole of the British Army.

The Marine Corps accounts for around six percent of the Military budget of the United States.

The cost per Marine is $20,000 less than the cost of a serviceman from the other services, and the entire force can be used for both hybrid and major combat operations, that is, the Marines cover the entire Three Block War.

Never forget lest we lose all of that which are freedoms cost to begin with because freedom isn't free.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/35a9105bad2f.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 31-5-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas] extra DIV

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Thank you for your family and their commitment to service from a proud and grateful nation...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/82f5ddcc87ff.gif[/atsimg]
Proclamation 3409 - Prayer for Peace, Memorial Day, 1961
April 24, 1961

By the President of the United States of America
A Proclamation

Whereas the high courage and the supreme sacrifice of Americans who gave their lives in battle have made it possible for our land to flourish under freedom and justice; and

Whereas the ideals and patriotism of those who answered the call to service stand as an inspiration to every new generation of Americans; and

Whereas the same principles and revolutionary beliefs for which our forbears fought and died are still at issue in the world and the challenge against them can be met only through the same qualities of courage, strength, and unflinching determination shown by our noble dead; and

Whereas Memorial Day each year provides a fitting occasion upon which our people may not only commemorate the Nation's heroic dead but also unite in prayer for the preservation of liberty and peace free from the threat of war; and

Whereas to this end the Congress, in a joint resolution approved May 11, 1950 (64 Stat. 158), requested the President to issue a proclamation calling upon the people of the United States to observe each Memorial Day as a day of prayer for permanent peace:

Now, Therefore, I, John F. Kennedy, President of the United States, do hereby urge the people of the United States to observe Tuesday, May 30, 1961, Memorial Day, by invoking the blessing of God on those who have died in defense of our country, and by praying for a new world of law where peace and justice shall prevail and a life of opportunity shall be assured for all; and I designate the hour beginning in each locality at eleven o'clock in the morning of that day as the time to unite in such prayer.

I also urge the press, radio, television, and all other media of information to cooperate in this observance.

In Witness Whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States of America to be affixed.

DONE at the City of Washington this 24th day of April in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and sixty-one, and of the Independence of the United States of America the one hundred and eighty-fifth.

JOHN F. KENNEDY
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a1ee8dedf3d6.jpg[/atsimg]

By the President:
DEAN RUSK,
Secretary of State.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Please remember them all...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

In memory to all fallen soldiers who served our great country. They have paid the ultimate price for our freedom. Thank you for your sacrifice.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Please close your eyes and spare a moments thought for our fallen soldiers...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Atten-Hut!

THE FALLEN SOLDIER

Don't weep for me O' Land of the free When it was my time to fall 'Twas for my country's call 'Twas for the land that I loved, That I gave my all And for the land that I loved, I did freely give And in her freedom And her courage I'll continue to live

c. 1993 Patricia Krull

Dismissed...

[edit on 31-5-2010 by WWJFKD]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Although I have completed today's tribute to our fallen hero's, is there ever really a bad time to pay tribute to just one more?

Cpl Bobby P. Warns, KIA while serving over seas.

Think hard about the gift you have been given, and the prices paid.

I thank you all for your submissions, kind words, and stories I hope in some small way we have done right by them today. And thank you for your respect of this endeavor (you know who you are)...

[edit on 31-5-2010 by WWJFKD]

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1   >>

join