It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'The Black Storm' - Hurricane season & the new Katrina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Just been doing some reading into the specifics of the oil spill situation. The situation is much more serious than I initially thought, and with the hurricane season approaching in the US, what exactly can the far south expect with the complication of the oil? Just how much would the polluted waters impact upon the formation and activities of the hurricanes? While these thoughts were flowing through my head this morning, HuffPo decided to pose similar questions:

As hurricane season approaches, the giant oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico takes weather forecasters into nearly uncharted waters.

Let's get this clear, nobody knows how exactly this will impact any hurricane activity.

The Gulf is a superhighway for hurricanes that form or explode over pools of hot water, then usually move north or west toward the coast. The site of the sunken rig is along the general path of some of the worst storms ever recorded, including Hurricane Camille, which wiped out the Mississippi coast in 1969, and Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

The season officially starts Tuesday, and while scientists seem to agree that the sprawling slick isn't likely to affect the formation of a storm, the real worry is that a hurricane might turn the millions of gallons of floating crude into a crashing black surf.

Could a diluted form of the the chemicals present within the waters actually form a hurricane?

Are these chemicals too heavy?

How damaging would the results be of a oil/chemical/poison gas filled hurricane?

I don't know how plausible all that is, but then something else much more plausible hit me and HuffPo mirrored my thoughts. With the increasing winds coming along with the hurricane season, how far in land could these poisonous waters push?

Some fear a horrific combination of damaging winds and large waves pushing oil deeper into estuaries and wetlands and coating miles of debris-littered coastline in a pungent, sticky mess.

I can't even begin to comprehend the ecological and environmental disaster this would be, if these Blatantly Poisoned waters were to swell a few miles in, or possibly more.

Indeed, let's not even think about the worst case scenario:

A hurricane like Katrina "would be a worst-case scenario" with oil pushed far ashore, said National Wildlife Federation scientist Doug Inkley.

But according to the experts, a major storm/hurricane is likely to hit:

Experts are predicting a busy hurricane season with powerful storms. Bastardi predicts seven named storms, five hurricanes and two or three major hurricanes will have an effect on land this year. Colorado State University researchers Philip Klotzbach and William Gray predict a 69 percent chance that at least one major hurricane will make landfall on the U.S. and a 44 percent chance that a major hurricane will hit the Gulf Coast.

I really would like some thoughts on all of this... but it does beckon the question, are we to witness a 'black Katrina'?

[edit on 31/5/2010 by serbsta]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
just a random thought, water temperatures in the gulf are usually quite warm hence all the hurricanes, could the color of the oil increase these temps. My reasoning being, wear a black shirt on a warm sunny day, less sunlight reflect thus temperature increase. Is it possible for the oil to raise the water temp and make even stronger hurricanes?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

The hurricane would create a mixture of oil and water so diluted that it actually cleans the area. The resulting rainfall would be very diluted since hurricanes consume so much water.

I would rather have a hurricane dilute a poison spilled than to have it hit full force. Of course, as is, it isn't hitting most of Louisiana at all - only small portions of the coast. If it were to come ashore by a hurricane before they could clean it up, then that would be good for the coastal areas and wildlife. I suspect the areas receiving the downpour would be diluted enough not to be a threat.

I don't have sources other than living through several and seeing the rain pour nonstop for hours like crazy. This happens over such a huge span that it really would be great for the coast.

It's rained here in my city in Southern LA once or twice (including yesterday), and things are fine. I'd be much more worried about working in the water with the spill, regardless of what suits, boots, and gear are worn.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
OIL + Hurricane = www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Good post my friend. I am also worried about this oil spill and what will happen when the hurricanes begin. I've tried speaking to friends about it, they just do not care about it.

I am starting to notice a few people changing their stance of-

"this is no big deal dude"

into-

"ok, maybe this IS a big deal".

But mostly, everyone I know is still unaware of this or apathetic to its magnitude.

S&F for yet another well made thread from you, sir!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by glitchinmymatrix

But surely even rain with diluted oil within it would be very damaging to the eco-system?

reply to post by Mr Mask

Indeed. I don't live in the States so I can't connect with the issue like someone who is directly impacted by it can, but surely anyone who is concerned about the environment will look at this situation with contempt.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

Do you have a date for this satellite image or know how recent it is? I've been searching for updated satellite images and cannot seem to find a good site. When I google oil spill satellite images, it comes up with images from a month ago. I would like to know where it is today.

Also, just got back from the coast yesterday (Fort Walton). The water is still clear and the beaches are beautiful. Although, people are starting to get worried, there is not a sense of urgency and it is still a "Don't Worry, Be Happy" attitude.

Peace.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
so let's suppose the oil get's sucked into the hurricane, then let's suppose there's a lightning storm at some point, does that not equal a hurricane that's on fire ?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I heard a ecoligist say that the oil will warm the water, even just the temperature of the oil comming out will, but sunlight will be absorbed even more in oily water. MSM reports the prediction of the most severe storm season ever, worse then the year of katrina,
The ecoligist says the oil would be picked up in the storms and would be present in the rain water that falls inland and would de-foliate trees with its toxic chemicals. that means the oil WILL be comming on shore, far inland. Its a disaster like no others with no end in sight.
Time to stop off-shore drilling, just to dangerous for the benifits

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I'm guessing that one concern is that the oily water would absorb more solar radiation than normal water, thus making it warmer, which could strengthen a hurricane more than usual. My first few questions are:

1. How much warmer is the water going to be? Since the oil spill is in a relatively small (for now) area, will it even have a thermal effect on the gulf as a whole?

2. What will the effect of a hurricane be on the oil slick? Will it all get blown to shore, or will it all just sort of get mixed up and spread out everywhere? I would think that as the hurricane approaches, the majority of the surface oil will get blown into shore along with the storm surge, but I'd like to hear from someone with experience in such things.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I see the trap as already being set. If an area becomes affected with contamination, evacuation orders would be set. If the people of the South are really pissed off as they should be, it could get ugly fast. The roads would become clogged with vehicles and panic could ensue. The potential for conflict could be the reason the NG has been calling upon some of it's members. If they can't contain the problems that arise, foreign troops could be asked to come in and assist on a "humanitarian effort." Our own troops are half way around the world and if a conflict develops with Iran before a hurricane hits, they will likely be fully engaged in that area. This has the potential to lead to martial law and possible gun confiscation via foreign troops.
If I lived in the South, now would be a good time to get out. JMO

On the bright side, those who have to get out by train (as these the roads would be a cluster) would be offered a free ride to a processing or holding center....

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
ok, so alot of people are like OMG hurricanes and Oil the end of the world?

No, its not the end of the world...in 1979 one of the largest oil spills occured durring Hurricane season in the gulf of mexico...there were 4 storms that went over the oil filled waters and NO there was no "toxic rain" or anything of the sort...

What did happen was the Hurricanes Helped....Hurricane Henry helped clean up the Texas shores from all the oil that had washed up

Those Hurricanes turned out to not be exceptionally strong.....oil may act to stall a hurricane and it will not affect its intensity....Researchers are already saying the oil will not affects hurricanes.....Remember this all HAS Happened before

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Now i am going to say this and say this now because this is an absolute joke now. I am honestly starting to wonder if they are actually trying to fix this at all. I also think that we as a species are been filled with the same crap that the hole is. This i think will turn out to be the biggest conspiracy in the history of mankind. Mark my words and remember this post. When this started i stated what the implications were, yet, what did i get? Grief.
I will also say this one last time and will not mention it again.

Start Collecting Water Containers and fill them
NOW!

Listen, Dont Listen its up to you but just this once?

Also i think that the oil that has leaked has been replaced by sea water, its a different structure completely. Now i know that here on ATS theres some that are light years ahead of me intelectually, and its these people i want here and now to answer a question for me.
As i mentioned before.
The oil and gas that has leaked has or will be replaced by sea water?
The sea water is made up in a different molecular setup?
Would the current events possibly lead to the sea floor collapsing on a huge scale, leading to some sort of earthquake that will hit the US/Mexico border?
Dont forget the current volcanic events, earthquakes and solar flares.
I already, on another thread pointed out "what happens when the hurricanes start flinging oil all over the land, but whats expected when the dispersants and added to the equation?

Also why is there major similarities in current events and The Bible, Revelations, 7 Trumpets?

Please i have loads of questions.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The hurricanes with the oil is a nightmare situation but what are the implications when you add the dispersants?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

In the Bible,it is written of the seas becoming blood.
All the rivers and lakes becoming bitter and unfit for
drinking.I wonder if this oil spill could be the catalyst
for some of the Biblical predictions?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
Now i am going to say this and say this now because this is an absolute joke now. I am honestly starting to wonder if they are actually trying to fix this at all. I also think that we as a species are been filled with the same crap that the hole is. This i think will turn out to be the biggest conspiracy in the history of mankind. Mark my words and remember this post. When this started i stated what the implications were, yet, what did i get? Grief.
I will also say this one last time and will not mention it again.

Start Collecting Water Containers and fill them
NOW!

Listen, Dont Listen its up to you but just this once?

Also i think that the oil that has leaked has been replaced by sea water, its a different structure completely. Now i know that here on ATS theres some that are light years ahead of me intelectually, and its these people i want here and now to answer a question for me.
As i mentioned before.
The oil and gas that has leaked has or will be replaced by sea water?
The sea water is made up in a different molecular setup?
Would the current events possibly lead to the sea floor collapsing on a huge scale, leading to some sort of earthquake that will hit the US/Mexico border?
Dont forget the current volcanic events, earthquakes and solar flares.
I already, on another thread pointed out "what happens when the hurricanes start flinging oil all over the land, but whats expected when the dispersants and added to the equation?

Also why is there major similarities in current events and The Bible, Revelations, 7 Trumpets?

Please i have loads of questions.

Why water containers?? If I lived on the coast i'd be amassing guns and ammo lol

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueballsD
just a random thought, water temperatures in the gulf are usually quite warm hence all the hurricanes, could the color of the oil increase these temps. My reasoning being, wear a black shirt on a warm sunny day, less sunlight reflect thus temperature increase. Is it possible for the oil to raise the water temp and make even stronger hurricanes?

See in the satellite image how the surface is bright white?

You ever see oil / gas drip in water and it causes all of the rainbow color across the surface? That is brighter than water. I read a very official like paper last week that talked about it.

Now a thick oil SLICK across the surface would be darker, but that isn't what is out there.

Historically hurricanes clean up oil messes, as proven on Padre Island after the tar sludge from the Ixtoc disaster in the Gulf of Mexico.

Assuming they plug the leak first, and a better part of that mess finally gets sucked into the Loop Current and on out to the Atlantic, a hurricane would be a blessing (as far as the oil is concerned).

[edit on 1-6-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

new topics

top topics

join