It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigeria's agony dwarfs the Gulf oil spill. The US and Europe ignore it

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Nigeria's agony dwarfs the Gulf oil spill. The US and Europe ignore it

www.blacklistednews.com

That was the Niger delta a few years ago, where, according to Nigerian academics, writers and environment groups, oil companies have acted with such impunity and recklessness that much of the region has been devastated by leaks.

In fact, more oil is spilled from the delta's network of terminals, pipes, pumping stations and oil platforms every year than has been lost in the Gulf of Mexico, the site of a major ecological catastrophe caused by oil that has poured from a leak triggered
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
No company and no government should let things like this happen with impunity. It seems that is what is happening in Nigeria. The source article made it sound like the area is so polluted that it may never once again become what it was before the oil. The U.S. puts a tax on the oil to fund cleanups when necessary. Perhaps some day Nigeria can do something similar.

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom or Death

Speak for yourself, please.
The majority of the world doesn't think with such ignorance.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Wow, some compassion, if not for the people mybe the planet.

Thanks for the information in the OP, most of us can appreciate this as it is relevant to a lot of discussion going on here.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by bvproductions

Speak for yourself, please.
The majority of the world doesn't think with such ignorance.

I think they do, in fact. And that explains the world we are living in.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Let's try a more realistic approach to the situation...

Who said anything about peoples color?

Of course we are anti-racist, the whole idea behind racism is about as educated as your response.

Cry babies, no, logical and compassionate, yes.

Wisdom, experience, compassion, and love go hand in hand.

On topic - Yes oil spills are a big issue right now for the ATS populace, weather you think so or not. I believe the idea behind the OP was to show that the oil spill in the Gulf isn't as bad as it seems, and to show how subjective our view on reality is.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by onequestion]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ickylevel

Alright, alright...
I'll give you that...
A large majority may think that way.

But in regards to color... I disagree.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom or Death
*snip*

Really?? Wow.

Dude that attitude and opinion, whilst entirely yours to have, is unnecessarily negative and heartless...

Kinda waitin/hoping for a punchline or something...

Back to topic......

The OP is a CLASSIC example of the problems with our world today. Though i really do think that in time, and who knows how long that time will be, that this kind of injustice and, dare i say it, selective concern, will come to an end.

This highlights a massive disrespect for both the Nigerian people AND Mother Earth.....

Staff Edit - Removal of T&C violating text from quote.

[edit on 5/31/10 by niteboy82]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Are you kidding me?

OK, I'm no longer going to even bother replying to your posts..as they are a "complete waste of time"...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Considering the resource you gain from these countries, i would think, you would think different.

Your ignorant subjective view on the world is better left dead, in your head, where it belongs.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
[SNIP]

Dude you are derailing the thread here and preventing decent discussion on the REAL thread topic.

I sense your cynicism though and think I get where you're coming from - if a disaster doesn't occur to a race (or in a country) the western world cares about then its as good as not happening? Look at the whole war in the Sudan/Congo situation right??

IF that is the point you are trying to make, you're going the wrong way about it, no-one will listen to you when your insulting people.

mod Edit: Removed actioned quote.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by Gemwolf]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

Considering the resource you gain from these countries, i would think, you would think different.

Resources for the greater good yes. We are on board with that. We want thier oil. Homestly though no one gives a crap about them as human beings or about keeping thier land clean of contaminents.

Am I lieing here or what?

Deniers come forth and dispute me.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

I think if you are trying to make a point, you should articulate your responses more carefully.

Honestly no one gives a crap about human beings in general, but here a majority of the people on ATS typically have an alternative view of the world and do care.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

It is because of attitudes like yours why our world
is going to hades in a hand basket!No one cares about
anybody or anything if it doesn't affect them personally.

That could all change sometime in the future.Everyone
has heard rumors the oil will soon be used up.If the oil
fields stop producing and you can't get gas for your car,
then you will start to care.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Where's that?

Seriously, where is that?

Sudan is in Eastern Africa. Some really terrible things have unfolded there over past 10 or so years (approx). DO a search in ATS and you'll find all the info you need

Resources for the greater good yes. We are on board with that. We want thier oil. Homestly though no one gives a crap about them as human beings or about keeping thier land clean of contaminents.

Am I lieing here or what?

Deniers come forth and dispute me.

I think this is going pretty far. I can only speak for myself but, personally, I believe your statements are highly inaccurate.
I 'give a crap' bout people of all social, racial, religious, WHATEVER backgrounds.

I think you'd be surprised to learn that you speak for very few people here (though inexplicably some of your posts have been starred, so you have at least some ATSers on board with you).

[edit on 31-5-2010 by srsen]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join