It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this METHANE GAS or FLAMES coming from the BP LIVE Video Feed???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I believe the feed is trained on the "riser" pipe, which, as I understand lays horizontally on the ocean floor. For last hour an a half it appears something new has made it's presence known: METHANE. This is actually what I believe THE REAL STORY IS...THE GAS RATIO BEING 5000/1 !!! It has been my belief that the gas poses a far larger threat to us than the oil. In fact, leave enough laying around and it's ALL people will be talking about. Have a look...

www.bp.com...

[edit on 31-5-2010 by odd1out]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

ahhhh! I can't see the live feed! I just read about thison another site, some descibing it as looking like it is on fire, is there any way to get a still shot?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Some interesting reading about methane for those, unlike myself that can fully understand, I hope you will post in laymen's terms the nature of Methane gas under the ocean and escaping into water.

Attachment 899
Geopressure/geothermal wells are those which produce extremely high-pressure (7,000 psi) and high-temperature (149 °C) water which may contain hydrocarbons. The water becomes a rapidly expanding cloud of hot steam and vapours upon release to the atmosphere from a leak or rupture. Extensive on-shore and offshore zones of geopressured water reservoirs are found in the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast region. Energy in these reservoirs is present in the form of natural gas in solution, thermal energy, and hydraulic, energy. Reservoir depths generally vary from 5000 to 20,000 feet, with corresponding temperatures from below 200°F to above 300OF. Natural gas is presumed to exist at saturation levels in the reservoirs

link

It may be possible to explain past marine extinctions by the scrubbing effect. If an inert gas is bubbled through water, the surface of each bubble acts as a semi permeable membrane. Gases diffuse across this membrane according to their concentration inside and outside the bubble. The result of bubbling methane through the ocean is to deplete the oxygen dissolved in the water, leading to ocean anoxia.

The consequences of a methane-driven oceanic eruption for marine and terrestrial life are likely to be catastrophic. Figuratively speaking, the erupting region "boils over," ejecting a large amount of methane and other gases (e.g., CO2, H2S) into the atmosphere, and flooding large areas of land. Whereas pure methane is lighter than air, methane loaded with water droplets is much heavier, and thus spreads over the land, mixing with air in the process (and losing water as rain).

The air-methane mixture is explosive at methane concentrations between 5% and 15%; as such mixtures form in different locations near the ground and are ignited by lightning, explosions and conflagrations destroy most of the terrestrial life, and also produce great amounts of smoke and of carbon dioxide. Firestorms carry smoke and dust into the upper atmosphere, where they may remain for several years; the resulting darkness and global cooling may provide an additional kill mechanism. Conversely, carbon dioxide and the remaining methane create the greenhouse effect, which may lead to global warming. The outcome of the competition between the cooling and the warming tendencies is difficult to predict.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Here is a still shot...it DOES look like flame, but pardon me if I'm wrong, I think that's impossible...

img132.imageshack.us...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

I tell you , as I read your second post, I got chills, I wish I could find the thread I posted a dream on right after I joined ATS, I described what I found to be a phophetic dream, with the sky on fire, and fire burning everything in a random 'pattern'. I could see people hiding in buildings and wondered if they were hiding from the military presence I saw, or from the sky that was burning......

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

Thanks for the attempt, but I am on my work computer, imageshack, most of the image websites, are blocked from use. In order for me to see it from this computer, you would have to post an actual picture, but thank you.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Quite coincidental...I had a recurring dream in my teen years that has never left me. It was very similar to what you describe. Since 1983 I have always cringed at the date August 29th...as the date kept repeating. Over the years it sort of faded, but August 29th has always stood out like an important date to me.

Just to be clear, this is NOT intended to be a prediction thread or doom thread, I'm merely VERY interested in the "jet" coming out of that pipe, and someone telling us what, pray tell, it is....

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I can see these "flames" on the Cnn Feed.

Initially I thought they were bubbles, but they definitely look flame-like. Then I wondered if perhaps they were doing some welding, but it doesn't look as though they are.

Is this normal/expected?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Well if they are welding then they have been at it for two hours without a rest. This does remind of letting a valve loose on a propane tank years ago, a white "frosty" jet of gas came out...I freaked and the neighborhood practically got evacuated. This was a large storage tank...what can I say, I was only 8 or 9 years old.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/36274d55c483.jpg[/atsimg]

Hope it helps.

It looks alot like a flame.

Sorry for the small picture, i'll try to fix that.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by Oozii]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
If you go HERE you can get a bigger picture, and be able to full screen it for better viewing.

To me, it does, indeed, look to be flames. You can see subtle lighting differences when it "flares". Plus, if it were unignited gas coming out, you'd see it in the mix, not just as that smaller amount. At least, that's what i've seen so far.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
It doesn't look like the rest of the oil spewing out. More like a flickering at the top of the pipe which does resemble a flame.
I find it hard to believe that's what it is being under water and all but would be interesting to find out what it is or why it looks so much different then the blackish oil coming out in plumes.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
It does look a lot like a flame, and it BEHAVES like a flame too. However, a jet of gas also behaves like a flame, as I plainly remember my experience noted above. Geez, stare at the feed long enough and you might start to think they were filming burning tire smoke out of a smokestack, and flames are shooting out of the end...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I've watched some documentaries on geothermal vents and the like, and while far from being an expert of any kind (just an uneducated layman here,) I have never seen anything that looked like actual flames before. So now there's a fire coming from the well that even being surrounded by the entirety of the ocean doesn't extinguish.

Now what do they do?

Hoping an expert will chime in soon. Hopefully this is completely normal.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by darklife

Well, I'm pretty convinced that its methane gas, not flames. Doesn't matter much, the possibilities with methane as outlined above are not too pretty.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

I commented on this on another thread:

I think that due to the angle of the pipe shown in that feed, the gas is rising to the top side of the pipe before being released, so it is "concentrated" and looks like that color before being dispersed. The black is the color of the crude oil I think. In other clips that we've seen, it looked a more brown color, and I think that was because the oil and gas were rushing out more vertically, so the gas did not separate so much.

I don't think there can be fire under water unless there is an inert gas surrounding a highly flammable other gas, then some special flint or tool is used to light it. I don't know much about wielding, but I think that's the general idea.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
It's a combination of Natural Gas/Methane/Benzene and Hydrate Crystals...

On another forum we went over this earlier and thought some could also be Corexit Dispersant, but, this was disconnected before the Mud/Junk Kill when the Riser Insertion Tool was removed as well...

[edit on 5/31/2010 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by odd1out
I believe the feed is trained on the "riser" pipe, which, as I understand lays horizontally on the ocean floor. For last hour an a half it appears something new has made it's presence known: METHANE. This is actually what I believe THE REAL STORY IS...THE GAS RATIO BEING 5000/1 !!! It has been my belief that the gas poses a far larger threat to us than the oil. In fact, leave enough laying around and it's ALL people will be talking about. Have a look...

www.bp.com...

That's methane. Most estimates place it at 40% by volume at the wellhead.

You're probably right about it being the larger problem.

For more detailed information look here:

Gulf spill: is the methane a bigger problem than the oil?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
to me it does not look like the main vent
the plume speed is much lower
sometimes there are christals escaping with the flow
they should shoot up
but they seem to be gently floating up
this does not look like there is 7000 psi (500 bar) thrust behind it
and where is the blow out preventer?
did they cut it off below the seabed ? hence the crater like shape

looks like the oil comes out of the seafloor and they are adding something from the pipe into the plume

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
looks more like an upside down spiral like letting the plug out of a bath?
Would that explain it or not?

<<   2 >>

join