It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bankrupt BP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Here's an idea. I'm not sure if this will work. In fact I'm pretty sure it won't, but it's better than sitting around and doing nothing. BP is taking damage claims via their website. How many hours have you spent worrying about this environmental disaster?

Let's all claim emotional / mental damages leading to physical damages and loss of productivity. Send BP the bill for lost productivity. Say you spend about one hour a day worrying about the oil spill. That's one hour of productivity per day, multiplied by 40 days = 40 hours. At an hourly rate of $20/hr, that's $800 dollars of lost revenue per person.

www.bp.com...

Even if you aren't going to get any money from them, file a claim anyway! It's the least you can do, and it will cost them a lot of money to deal with all the claims.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by avatar01]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I'm all for a giant class action law suit against BP, but I'm not sure if it would work.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by avatar01

That's a cool idea. I like it. But can we hold off on bankrupting BP until we force this entity to make good on cleaning up the mess and paying for all the actual damages from here to eternity?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Bankrupting BP is a bad idea, it will put thousands of innocent people out of work.

What needs to be done is criminal action needs to be brought against those who where negligent. Like how the Chinese do if someone sells contaminated food they put them on trial and execute them. Not saying we should execute but we should have criminal trials against responsible INDIVIDUALS, and bankrupt the responsible INDIVIDUALS.

We need more personal responsibility, especially in the US, why punish the tens of thousands of innocent people who work for BP the engineers, the truck drivers the assistants.

When its because of a few that the problems happened.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by Desolate Cancer]

link   
Why all the hatred directed to BP, I understand people are upset. But come on folks, do you really think they wanted this? Now ya wana bankrupt them. That'll achieve what exactly?
Yes BP is a mega corporation, but its run by people as well, yes even execs and drill rig workers have wife's, husbands and kids. I'm a bit tired of all these threads about how to get back at them and how bad they are when you could focus that negativity into the clean up efforts or stopping the leak.

I mean does no one here drive a car? Use plastics? Never been on a plane? Without the oil industry you wouldn't have any of it.
Just 18 months ago, you were all fighting at the pumps for the stuff as the prices went up and there were fears of a fuel shortage.
Just a bit hypocritical don't ya think?

link   

Sorry, but I don't think that is what they mean. I think they mean things like "hey your oil ruined by fishing boat" or "your oil spill caused my oil rig production work to halt."

We the little people volunteering to worry about it get nothing.

They haven't even agreed to pay the families of the 11 dead victims yet, so if you really want something, get in line behind them.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Lets not do that. It seems like that might be a useful tool for people actually having damaged income from the spill to use. I'm not sure how well it works, but don't take away the opportunity for someone to receive compensation they might need so that you can feel some form of vengence.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I read that BP are fined on the amount of oil that leaks per day, which is a reason their estimates were low to begin with.

What happens to this money?.....I really don't think they should be fined in the government revenue side of things, but the value of fines go straight to the environmental cleanup....

My thoughts

MM

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
This might sound upset a few people but here goes.........

America - What goes around comes around........ If this TV report on the proposed class action is accurate then this whole incident could have been prevented... Except it wasn't because of the desire for money and profit and greed etc etc......

I know BP is a British Company (I am truely ashamed of this!!) but competiting in a global market dominated by the need for profits and shareholder values, then they cut corners because the LAWS in the USA allowed them too.

Those LAWS were put in place by the Republicans and the Bush Administration and have nothing to do with the current President.
So for all of those blaming the current incumbent then I feel you should be looking 'INWARDS' in relation for your desires and expectations of cheap Gasoline to power your very inefficient and overly sized SUV's, trucks or whatever.

What I am saying here is the USA uses 25% of the Oil extracted globally and therefore has created this need to find new sources of it at 'cost effective prices' to feed it's ridicoulous usage.

The Issue in the Gulf is desperate and unfortunately will get worse ....... I hope the class action wins and gives people who will lose their livelhoods some cash and perhaps some hope.....
BUT
all Americans need to understand that the lifestyles they EXPECT to follow and try to impose on others CANNOT carry on in to the future.

Finally - it is not Obama's fault, he is a puppet trying to find his feet - the real villians here are Bush, Cheney, the Republicans and the need to try and dominate the world....

Apologies if I upset people with my views but they are MY views and I have a right to free speech I believe !!

PurpleDog UK

top topics

join