It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spokeo. The website that collects all of your personal information without your permission

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Garbage like this should be outlawed. OPT-IN ONLY. If one doesn't go to a site and specifically authorize the distribution of their information it should illegal to provide it to others. Period.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I found this site a week or so ago by chance trying to figure out who's phone number was calling my buss line late at night. It turned out it was an old friend with a new number but how I realized that was the scary part. I wasn't curious enough to pay whatever they charge but just with their free preview and her name x'd out there was a clear pic of her house and address.

I also think this is the fusion centers at work.
edit on 19-9-2011 by ludshed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

In order to prevent abuse, we must limit the number of privacy requests per email address.

What a terrible website. The opt out process is ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Interesting, it has my old address, even shows a Google street view of the house. Thankfully it has my birthday year incorrect. I usually fill it in off by a year or 2 online. They make it too easy to find out a birth year by showing the Chinese year of the animal. For me it says im mid 30s, correct, and year of the rat, which falls on 1977, incorrect.

Where did they get info for Lifestyle & Interests? All are so very incorrect.
edit on 9/21/11 by Cyprex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Thank you very much for this thread, I had no idea. I put my first and last name into Spokeo, and it came up with my address where I live. Wow, I wonder how they did that, because I am a 'credit ghost'. (Never established any) and so I figured because of that, I was more private than, those with it.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I only noticed after I posted my previous thread, that there is a movable photo (scan from different directions) of the place in which I reside. Great!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
As another forum member posted earlier there are dozens of these types of sites and probably more going up all the time. I doubt "opting out" of any of them will help since most are probably owned bye the same people under different corporations. Besides that public records are there for any of us to look at if we want to so of course others will capitalize on it.

Just about every company we deal with already sells your information without you even knowing it, so good luck with "opting out" of any of these sites. Just out of curiosity what do you guys think they will do with your info that makes you want to deny them access to it ?

I personally wont volunteer any info when shopping etc .. Not even my area code
lol the dweebs at Radio Shack used to get all riled up when I told them I didn't want their junk mail clogging up my mail box and wouldn't let them put me in their computer system. Ive never given up info to any retailer and never will. I don't bother with rewards type cards either , not truthfully anyway... To them I'm Rusty Shackleford of Arlen Texas

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join