It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spokeo. The website that collects all of your personal information without your permission

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
www.spokeo.com...

In Spring 2010, Spokeo released version 4 of its website. Shortly thereafter, CBS47.tv, which serves the Fresno, California, viewing area, aired a short piece on Spokeo, outlining local law enforcement agencies' concerns that the site would enable cyberstalking. They reported that credit information was being included in some online profiles and that Spokeo had recently removed a feature that provided photos of private residences.[13] Search results on Spokeo offer to provide a "Credit Estimate" and "Wealth Level" information, as well as information about a target's mortgage value, estimated income, and investments. In an interview with Michigan-based WILX-TV Spokeo's founder, Harrison Tang, said that credit information is not actually available through Spokeo.[14]

According to the California Office of Privacy Protection, the information provided by sites like Spokeo regarding an individual's name, address, and phone number, are considered public record. Furthermore, when a person purchases a home, the purchase, including the price is recorded with the county recorder and is considered public information. There is no specific statute that prohibits businesses from putting such public record information on the Internet, nor any statute that requires a business to remove it upon request.[15]

On Facebook in particular, several users complained on the "Spokeo" message board that the website was a violation of their privacy, and new groups were started to demand an end to the service.[16][17][18] Several of these users claimed that information set to private on facebook and other social networking accounts was still appearing on Spokeo's website. However, Spokeo cannot hack into private accounts. In other words, if a user can find friends on a social network, they can also find them on Spokeo. Spokeo's technology recognizes third party privacy settings and updates the database accordingly. Whenever content is changed from public to private, Spokeo the next time it re-crawls content. Twitter users have also been urged to remove their information from Spokeo.

Removal of personal information
The Spokeo website contains an opt-out form (accessible from the "Privacy" link on the bottom of every page) that allows users to prevent specific Spokeo pages from displaying search results for their names, phone numbers, or email addresses. The removal of email address search results was implemented by Spokeo on April 19, 2010, and the removal process is the same as that for name and phone listings,[20] although some Gmail users initially complained that the system malfunctioned when they entered their addresses. While it is possible to block your listings from being displayed on Spokeo, they will not be removed from the original sources. Other users have found it easy to deactivate results pages for their names. Since mid-April, Spokeo has fixed most of the bugs, making opt-out a one-step process.[21] (Note: AOL users may not receive a confirmation email from Spokeo to complete this process. If this happens, try an alternate email address such as Hotmail.) Although Spokeo prevents users from removing listings belonging to aliases, friends, or family members, in bulk to prevent spambots, the site allows for users to email URL requests to their customer service email.

Wiki article on Spokeo

Go there and remove your name. Tell them, YOU CAN'T HAVE MY INFORMATION WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!

[edit on 5/30/10 by Misoir]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

giving this thread a bump

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Someone sent me a link to spokeo.com the other day, and out of curiosity I entered my email address and can honestly say I don't much care for the aggregation of my personal information.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Talk about taking googling someone to the next level.

It's only for the states. Is there anything similar for Canada? Peoples facebook pictures are on that.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Spokeo can't locate me.

I must be doing something right.

I can find my pop, though. And he doesn't even use a computer.

But, knowing my pop as well as I do, this knowledge of him on the internet won't faze him a bit. Nothing bothers him, except too much rain or too little rain. It plays hell with his garden.

Oh, no!!!!!! I just realized that I gave Spokeo my name. Now they will know everything.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Search Barack Obama and see what is shown.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I would sure like to visit their server farm with a rather large electro-magnet.

Anyone know if they are connected to the FEMA / DHS Fusion centers?

I would have to guess given their business the would be.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I was looking at this site last week after a friend told me about it, its kinda freaky. However I noticed that some of the info about people is way off, they get some things right but a lot of it was wrong. I also noticed that for some people they have no info on them at all.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by chaosinorder
Search Barack Obama and see what is shown.

Try searching Ron Paul.

It says he's in his '40s and lives in a mobile home park.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I searched for my first name and last name and discovered I am all over the US. There is even someone with the same first letter middle initial and the same first and last name living less than 70 miles away from me. Obviously I have been cloned multiple times so I'm wondering who I should contact to complain. After thinking about this for a few seconds, I like having multiple clones. If someone wants to find me, they only need to search just about single state in the US and we're spread out all over the place. That's perfect. I couldn't ask my clones to do a better job.

I think anyone who is listed in the phone book appears on the search. I'm not worried about it.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Thanks for the story. I went to the site & they had my name with 2 different addresses!! One is my brother's address but the other was mine. They had alot of incorrect info listed with my name, too. IDIOTS!!!!!

I removed all references to myself & my mom. Thanks again!!!!

[edit on 5/31/2010 by Champagne]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I must be doing things right because they have nothing for my real name and little on my internet names.

I give it a few months till someone sues them when bad info get used by some company in a hiring decision.
or when some one gets nailed as gay or for posting on a site like ATS by the company they work for.

Oh you have to pay to see your information and pay again to get it removed.

If anyone pays please post there signin and password so all of us can check ALL the information they have on US without having to pay for the right to view what they have on us.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I did not have to pay anything to have my name removed!! Just click on the "Privacy" link at the bottom of the page and fill in info. You will receive an email with a link to remove. I did this & new searches for my name did NOT bring up any info on me...........

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I checked it out.There was nothing on me there but my wife was on there.The info they had was way off so I don't even think about it.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
My info and my husband's info was incredibly accurate. I removed us promptly. Thank you for starting this thread. And thanks to the person who informed us how to remove our name. I WILL be checking that site periodically to make sure my info is not put on there again.

edit: I remembered about zabasearch.com and I looked to see how to delete your info. YOu can't, you can only have them block it from search results. You must fax them your proof of identity, it is not a toll free number, and you cannot call them or email them to do it. that's messed up... here's the page: www.zabasearch.com...

[edit on 31-5-2010 by Ellie Sagan]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Eh.

Apparently, I'm male, live in a million dollar home in a low income neighborhood, and I enjoy retail shopping and home decorating... That was from the name search and is completely wrong. But my husband's was accurate down to his occupation, which is kinda scary.

The phone search is horribly wrong. I have had the same cell number since the mid-90's, as has my mother. I searched both of them, and while they came back as the correct carrier, they listed people on the other side of the state as owners.

I still don't like it though. I'm going to have my info deleted from it as well. However, I worry that it won't just help validate my information as correct or incorrect in some database somewhere.

[edit on 5/31/2010 by glitch88]
ETA: I am currently trying to remove my information and have just found out something disturbing. It requires an email address to remove your information. You can only use that email address twice. You cannot remove an email address listing with anything other than the email address that you are requesting to be removed. I am now unable to remove my email address listing because I've already used that email address to remove my two name listings. They are about to get an email from me. Just wanted to warn everyone.

[edit on 5/31/2010 by glitch88]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Thanks for the info OP. Unfortunately there are dozens upon dozens of sites that will provide the same and more personal information for all to see. My last search provided. Most former addresses. Current address WITH a Google picture of my current house, Political donation amounts and to whom I donated said funds. Three former employers. Alleged AKA ( also known as ) names. current and formed living partners. X girl friends current address and married name. Her daughters current address as well as the address of my deceased parents and sister. I am certain info offered to the general public pales to the info collected by our increasingly intrusive government. I wouldn't worry about it. We have all been tagged, bagged and cataloged. Welcome to the 'Brave new World ' of '1984' Smile.......... and they thought all those intersection cameras are to assist in traffic control.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by dazbog]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Thanks for passing along this info.
It's sad we have to "opt out" of this stuff. There should be a law that requires our permission before posting personal info.

When I searched by name, no info available. When I searched by email...tons of stuff.
Don't forget to search by email also.

Has anyone paid for this service yet? I'm curious what kind of info is available with payment.

I found a little info on the company.
investing.businessweek.com...

The company assists recruiters, salesmen, lawyers, and law enforcement officers in people research efforts,

I also found the owners name. Harrison Tang, source..
wapedia.mobi...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Interesting info that I hope is within the confines of the OPs topic.

"US Search, Zebasearch, and GlobalAgora--all linked to Nicholas Rockefeller."

"Companies like Zabasearch are part of a multibillion-dollar online people-search industry. But the surprising part is that the public helped build these massive Internet databases of names and addresses, often without realizing it.

"You gave [personal information] to somebody," said ***Zabasearch founder Nicholas Matzorkis*** [a founder with Nicholas Rockefeller connections] "You put it out there in the public domain. It could be subscribing to a magazine ... applying or getting a credit card... possibly filling out a sweepstakes."

Zabasearch, which gets over two million hits per day, does not list social security numbers on their Web site [publicly, that is], and Matzorkis says that it's impossible to steal somebody's identity from the type of information available on Zabasearch.

[Suddenly once private information is attempting to be turned into "only by request" in the panopticon society. And even then Matzorkis says, with a nyah-nyah: "doesn't eliminate it from the records or the voluminous public record databases". So go ahead. Opt out. Do it. It will just go in your file you WANTED to opt out. Thanks.] "
Take the link for what it is , some hype ,some truth. But disturbing never the less.

portland.indymedia.org...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
SPOKEO IS SOOOOOO SCARY -- Do go there and remove yourself!!! Pronto!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join