It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reports: Israeli ships attack aid flotilla

page: 120
<< 117  118  119    121  122  123 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ElijahWan

Neither the UN or NATO will act as a result of this.

Why? ... The USA

With the US vetoing anything to do with condemning or sanctioning Israel, the UN is hamstrung

I also suspect the US would see NATO ripped apart, rather than have NATO used as a tool against Israel.

Essentially, as things stand at present, Israel is untouchable ... as long as the have their hands poised over the US government's gonads, they can do what they like... and get away with it.

One possibility I do see... Turkey withdrawing from NATO and kicking the US out of all their Turkish bases. I doubt it will happen, but with the current level of anger in Turkey - both at Israel for the raid, and at the US for refusing to condemn it outright and agree to an independant inquiry- it still remains a possibility.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Originally posted by Skellon
reply to post by Dock9

So I have now stated that the killing of 'political activists' is a joke? hmmm

They were humanitarian aide workers and charitible people, not political activists.

More word games, from the propagandists who want to make acts of charity and helping the needy all about politics.

So that they can make it all about politics.

The politics OF STARVING AND MURDERING PEOPLE.

[edit on 1/6/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

The moment they ignored the clear warnings of Israel, they became political activists and not peace activists.

A peace activist would not willingly incite violence, the very thing they are supposed to stand against.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
IDF fired first

IDF searched the passengers using police dogs. No weapon or even stick was found

Up to 60 journalists were amongst the passengers

Survivors and wounded taken by the IDF. Passengers begged to help the wounded. IDF would not agree. Two bled to death through lack of medical assistance

Full article at link:

www.kawther.info...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Dagar

I share the same view as you Dagar, it seems like a plausible scenario.

People think that the US will tire of Israel and turn its back on it, they are very much mistaken.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Published 19:53 01.06.10
Latest update 19:53 01.06.10

Netanyahu: World criticism won't stop Israel's blockade of Gaza

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told his political-security cabinet on Tuesday that international condemnation would not stop Israel's naval blockade of the Gaza Strip.

Full article at link:

www.haaretz.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Are you aware that two soldiers were shot by the 'peace activists' ?

Once again they are humanitarian aide workers.

You can't even accept after seeing all the supplies being off loaded that they were on a charity mission, and an aide mission.

Further you don't know if the wounds to the Israeli Soldiers who illegally boarded the boat in international waters were not friendly fire or self inflicted to cover what is clearly a masacre of civilians.

The soldiers had no business on that ship NO LAWFUL BUSINESS on the ship, especially in the dead of the night, especially after shooting the ship's captain.

They would not have got shot had they stayed at home and not interfered with humanitarian shipments.

Very simple. That holds true whether they shot themselves deliberately or accidentally.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Just coup the Dome of the Rock already!!

I mean seriously!!!

[edit on 6/1/2010 by TheBloodRed]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Dagar

That is a pretty sober assessment of the political situation. I am thinking Turkey will throw out a lot of bluster but ultimately stand down.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
There are already ways to get aid into Gaza. Why did these folks choose a method they knew was prohibited? Seems to me that if they truly wanted this "HUMANITARIAN AID" to get in then they would have done so another way.

This had nothing to do with aid...they were using "HUMANITARIAN AID" as a cover to try to break a blockade that everyone already knew was being enforced.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9

Published 19:53 01.06.10
Latest update 19:53 01.06.10

Netanyahu: World criticism won't stop Israel's blockade of Gaza

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told his political-security cabinet on Tuesday that international condemnation would not stop Israel's naval blockade of the Gaza Strip.

Full article at link:

www.haaretz.com...

Nice to see that you obviously see Haaretz as a credible source to cite.

You must have missed the '1st hand account' that was on there too.

No worries, I shall link you mate.

www.haaretz.com... lse

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

www.haaretz.com...

"Yaar added that Israel was justified under international law in acting against the flotilla.

He asserted that international law permitted capturing a vessel attempting to breach a naval blockade, even in international waters, as was the case on Monday."

1) Horrible Horrible source for deciding International Law...of COURSE they are going to say Israel is in the right....

2) That's all that is happening....an ISRAELI source is saying Israel is right....I just quoted from the UN website and wikipedia dude....

3) YES, international maritime law DOES permit capturing a vessel attempting to breach a blockade.......BUT you have to be considered an "occupying force" to conduct a legal blockade by UN standards....Israel turned that title down and says they aren't an occupying force in Gaza. The reason why they don't wanna label themselves that is because they would have to own up to the "state" that the Gazan people find themselves in. (starvation ect ect). Israel wants to occupy Gaza, and impose a blockade, yet can't LEGALLY take responsibility for such a blockade....thus the blockade is NOT recognized by the international community at large....

Conclusion: Because the blockade is ILLEGAL, they had no right to assault this HUMANITARIAN AID flotilla....Thus it was murder, NOT a legal blockade.....

From your source: HAARETZ

The United States has stepped up pressure on Israel regarding the Gaza Strip: Three weeks ago it sent Jerusalem a diplomatic note officially protesting Gaza policy and demanding a more liberal opening of the border crossings to facilitate reconstruction. U.S. and Israeli sources say the note was followed by a verbal communication clarifying that the Obama administration thinks Israel's linkage of the case of abducted soldier Gilad Shalit and the opening of the crossings was not constructive.

Verbally, the Americans relayed a message on Israel's linkage of the Shalit case with a more extensive opening of the border crossings. Israel is particularly insistent that unless there is progress in the negotiations for Shalit's release and a new sign of life is received, there will be no concessions on the crossings. The United States made clear that it is dissatisfied with this Israeli policy and wants Jerusalem to reevaluate its stance. "Until you change this, it will be impossible to progress," a source quoted the American officials as saying. "This policy has not led to progress on the Shalit case and we do not think that it is contributing to anything," the U.S. officials were quoted as saying.

So basically Israel is blockading this port....KILLING handfuls of Palestinians daily, AND attacking NATO citizens......because of the imprisonment of 1 man by what they refer to as "a terrorist organization".

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Are you aware that two soldiers were shot by the 'peace activists' ?

Have you a link to the ballistic report I presume you've seen, I'd love to know how they proved ownership of any none Israeli firearms used in the defence of the flotilla, we must applaud the incredibly fast forensic examination of the international crime scene by Israels investigators, fantastic.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Skellon

While we might agree on the scenario and the US attitude, I think you probably find it quite a satisfactory state of affairs. I on the other hand find it a deplorable one.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Skellon

A peace activist would not willingly incite violence, the very thing they are supposed to stand against.

Once again they are humanitarian aide workers, you are calling them peace activists.

They were not there as peace activists they were there delivering humanitarian supplies.

Nor did they incite any violence.

They responded to the violence of the Israeli Armed Services.

They were not Israelis or bound to listen to or give authority to the Israeli Armed Services who were operatiing illegally in international waters, to illegally attempt to enforce an illegal blockade.

In reality all you are doing is trolling the thread, oblivious to all the facts that have been brought to light regarding laws of war and the sea.

Nor are you interested in what happened. You aren't even interested in who the people were aboard the ship.

One thing is for sure if you can't even call a spade a spade in this case a humanitarian aide worker a humanitarian aide worker, then your ability to render any kind of fair and reasoned opinion is non-existent.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Were the CIA not responsible for creating Hamas?

The ill conceived propoganda tool to be used to gain support against the PLO at the time?

Which back fired on them.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Were the CIA not responsible for creating Hamas?

The ill conceived propoganda tool to be used to gain support against the PLO at the time?

Which back fired on them.

I thought that was pretty much down as being a Mossad operation, blowback schmoback.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

If it makes you feel better labelling me a 'troll' then fair enough friend.

I am purely discussing an issue that I find myself on the other side of to you.

I refer to them as activists as that is what they are labelled as in many headlines and news articles.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

If it makes you feel better labelling me a 'troll' then fair enough friend.

I am purely discussing an issue that I find myself on the other side of to you.

I refer to them as activists as that is what they are labelled as in many headlines and news articles.

That's just a label applied to a group to elicit the programed response that's what headline writing's all about.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dagar
reply to post by Skellon

While we might agree on the scenario and the US attitude, I think you probably find it quite a satisfactory state of affairs. I on the other hand find it a deplorable one.

Applause (sound of clapping )

You have the gift

Best post in a long while in a thread of good posts

You summed it up to perfection

More applause (because I'm taking a break from the thumbs-up smiley)

new topics

top topics

<< 117  118  119    121  122  123 >>

join