It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Tattoos Sinful? Your Thoughts...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Are Tattoos Sinful? Your Thoughts...

It's been my experience that people with tatoos tend to have emotional problems. Sort of like, people who cut themselves tend to have problems. And like alcoholics tend to have problems.

But is it "sinful?"

I would say no. It's a coping mechanism. A girl who cuts her arms is doing it to exert control over her life. It may not be the healthiest outlet, but it does serve its purpose: it allows her to feel she is in control. Tatoos, presumably, are an outlet for people with a deeply seated need to express themselves, or their individuality.

It's a pressure release for a problem. Not a problem itself.

That said, I've also found it to be a pretty reliable indicator of people it's unwise to become emotionally involved with.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
It seems that tats have become more and more of a fashion item over the years, particularly for women. When I was younger ('80's) the only birds with tats were either rentals or smack heads (or both) so I've always viewed tats on women as cheap looking because of that.

I suppose times change, but honestly, no woman with any class gets all that celtic/japanese crap on her. I've dated a few nice looking women with that kind of ink & frankly it always looks ugly to me. Why mess with perfection? Would you put tats on the Venus De Milo? No thanks.

I've got a few mates who had theirs done inside (ACAB) etc, & the odd swastika but it's something they could do without now! Sign of the times I suppose. I will say that Beckham looks bloody stupid now with all that ink though, it's not normal, like Michael Jackson with his surgery. What's he trying to prove?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Absolutely not.

I'm currently working as piercing apprentice here in my home town and i absolutely LOVE it. I think assuming that people with body modification MUST HAVE some sort of illness or are clearly lacking in the mental department is a bit uncalled for. I myself am currently studying for my Ph.D in anthropology, minoring in religious studies with a focus on rites of passage and ritualistic modification, so it all goes hand in hand.

sure i have my issues, but i work everyday to get through them and take them for what they're worth, and learn from the experiences i have. Everyone has their own skeletons. body modification is another way for people to own up to them and claim back what's rightfully theirs. We're raised in a society with so many taboos it's not surprising people are out of their minds, body modification opens up another doorway for us to come back to ourselves.

Piercings and tattooing have been around for thousands of years, and for me personally, as well as many people out there then and now it's a way of expression that is ARTISTIC and SPIRITUAL at once.

My body IS a temple, why not adorn it in a way that I feel will honor my love of God Herself? I have 4 tattoos myself, i plan on getting more. They are all spiritually oriented, an ankh on my side, the Lover's tarot card on my shoulder, a triple moon and the all seeing eye, which has been twisted the same way the swastika has, on my shoulder. I plan on getting Yggdrasil, the tree of life as a 3/4 sleeve, i could go on.

I digress...no they are not a sin, unless you believe they are, I for one was raised Baptist, taught that tattoos were evil, and now even my dad has one! and yes it's a Tasmanian devil holding a dove. To him it represents his inner demons and the peace he has found through his belief in the Christian God.

Aside from that i do not believe in "sin" as the Christians see it. The only sin i can commit is to harm someone else, or myself. Neither of which play a part in my life as it is now.

sorry for the rant!

-Live in Love-

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Just remember, if your date had a lovely red rose tat on her left breast, by the time she's 65, it's going to be long stemmed!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

One of the native american tribes talk about a future time when it won't be safe to have any objects on you that aren't natural. Someone said that meant metal objects.

Some tatoo dyes are painful when you have an MRI. Red dye is supposed to be really bad. Most tatoo dyes contain metal. What if earth changes make having metal in your body painful?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
God is not a nitpicker, by any means, so my answer is no.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat
reply to post by Raustin

One of the native american tribes talk about a future time when it won't be safe to have any objects on you that aren't natural. Someone said that meant metal objects.

Some tatoo dyes are painful when you have an MRI. Red dye is supposed to be really bad. Most tatoo dyes contain metal. What if earth changes make having metal in your body painful?

and if that happens there will be a mass-wide procedure of removing that part of your epidermis

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
of all the sins that this world is dealing with...I'd say tats are probably way down the list.......way way way down.

don't get hung up on technicalities...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
No it's not a sin.. i have four tattoo's.

A recreation of a snarling wolf face on my middle to lower back, my family's motto and crest on my right arm, my country's flag and motto on the left arm.

And on my upper back the motto of the SS

Meine Ehre heißt Treue with the english translation underneath.

in honour of my grandad who was a SS Sturmbannführer,on the way to SS Obersturmbannführer when the war ended.

Tattoo's are not sins and have been around for thousands of years for all cultures and civilisations.

I am fed up of this religious tripe.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9

So for me, the tattoo issue has no connection with religion or spirituality

Oh thats nice... As long as it only has a connection with an arrogance beyond belief. Thats A-ok...

Screw those religious nutjobs eh, just stereotype people in an ignorant and pathetic manner instead.

lmao

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
what is sin? is it a crime against yourself or society? to have a tattoo is a symbol of great heirarchy in some cultures. for me having a tattoo means that i'll have a wedding ring, a symbol of one of the gods i worship, and the zodiac sign of me and my wife on top of my heart. in moral context i've seen many crhistians with cross tattoos. i like the guy who has the SS tattoo by the way. YOU ROCK!!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
No I don't think tattoos are sinful - they are to me an expression of ones self in art. I find them in good taste if they are not over done. Wouldn't want to go to an art museum where all the paintings are hung too close together and not related in any way. I don't have any ink myself but if I find something special enough that I would like to display for the rest of my life I will get one or two.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
its a very grey area in the church. I myself have some complications with it but the reason God instituted those statutes with Israel is because he wanted to seperate them from everyone else. for example circumcision was one of these reasons. eating different kinds of foods the way you groom yourself etc... was to make them a pecuilar people. We in the new testament are called a pecuilar people as well. we are to seperate ourselves from the world. in word and action. We are the temple of God. If you were to build a earthly temple to hold God like they did in the old testament in solomons temple would you graffiti it? some people liken tattoos to graffiti but if you take note solomons temple had beautiful carvings of palm trees and pomegranets etc... I personally want a tattoo but haven't finally concluded that doctrine in my life. i know a lot of on fire for God christians that have tattoos i personally would suggest seeking that out for yourself and live by your own conviction on it and pray and ask God for guidance.

Keeper

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
1st I have to say that not only do I have lotsa tattoos I own and run my own bakery which requires a good deal of intelligence. Would an unintelligent person be able to do this-
media.abovetopsecret.com...&action=view&id=96371
Here I am, a 'cant hold a relationship sinner, who was convinced by a demon to get these cheap, stupid, dirty tattoos'..lol.
media.abovetopsecret.com...&action=view&id=96052

Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but one doesnt need to be derogatory or nasty to express it. I'm sure there are many things about a lot of u that I wouldnt want for myself but I'd not disrespect any of u over them..why? Because those things make up a part of who u are. You can always find a reason to not like something/someone, it's so much easier isnt it? It's always easier to call upon what u percieve as someone elses faults than to address ur own. We're so much more than what the eye can see. If u choose to discriminate or pre-judge someone bcuz u dont agree with how they look ur cutting urself ,and them as well, short on what could possibly be the best experience of ur life. It doesnt matter what religion u practice or belief system u have the premise is always the same...acceptance and love. If it were practiced as much as it's talked about this world would be an amazing place. Embrace diversity, it's good for the soul...

Peace. K*

[edit on 5/31/10 by Demetre]

edit bcuz I had one heck of time posting these pics??

[edit on 5/31/10 by Demetre]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
It's just skin art. It doesn't make you a bad person or of low intelligence etc. People pin thier emotional baggage and prejudice on judging others over tats, clothes, hair length or style, and a host of other nonsensical backwardass beliefs and dogmas. It's 2010 for god sake some people need to grow up!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Demetre

Oh. My. Goodness. A gorgeous woman that bakes, has tattoos, visits ATS and is well spoken? I think I have my first internet crush. I'm sorry Ashley D, you had your chance. This is my new love (please don't ban me!).

All kidding aside, I usually find facial tattoos rather unattractive, but I like yours quite a bit. How weird does it feel getting tattooed there? Also, how much would it cost me to have those cupcakes delivered to Seattle? Om nom nom.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Since I have tattoos myself, my answer is no. The first one I got was pointless, me being 18 when I got it, but I don't regret it. It symbolizes that part of life I left behind, trying to be like everyone else. My second tattoo I got says soldier in Japanese, it's what my birth name means. I have an affinity for the Japanese culture so some people don't like it but it's for me. When my mom left for Iraq the first tour I got a traditional WWII style eagle carrying a banner that says 'mom'. And my last tattoo is a picture of a rucksack with a heart in it and a pair of worn boots in front of the bag. The text reads: SFC TK IS MY SOLDIER. SUPPORT OUR TROOPS. OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM. It reminds me every time I look at it that we send our hearts with our soldiers in the hopes it comes back in one piece. So IMO tattoos, while they can be completely pointless, can also be very therapeutic and meaningful for the owner.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Sinful? Not so sure. I suppose that would depend on what the tattoo is depicting. Tattoos are cultural statements in most of the world and have been around as long as we have.

I know people who have, here in America, tattoed their children, even though it is not legal to. A friend of mine, her father tattoed her and her 2 brothers when they were around 5 yrs old, he put their own names on them. On their arm. In black, bold ink, big letters. Now that was sinful IMO!

But he did it so if anything ever happened and they came up missing or something like that they would have this easily identifiable tattoo. So his heart was in the right place at least.

I have to admit this too, my nephew tattooed his son, he put the letters DB on his back , it means 'Daddy's Boy'. He didn't do it for any ID purpose, he did it because his 4 yr old son 'wanted it'. He saw his dad's tats and his dad's friends tats, he was always watching them get and give new ones, and kept begging for one. For some unknown reason my nephew let a 4 yr old talk him into it. And the 4 yr old, he loves it. He shows it off to everyone. But his daddy went to jail for it, and is facing charges of child cruelty, and was told he could not be in the presence of his own or any other child, after court happens some time this year, he may never get to see his children again. It cost him his home, his job, his wife and 3 children.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Haha! Thank u, thank u and thank u. I dont think I've ever had someone have an 'internet crush' on me, I'm all warm and fuzzy..lol! It wasnt wierd at all. It didnt hurt much, my girl's pretty good. It took me 7 yrs to decide if I should get it or not. I was worried over being pre-judged or looked down upon...Hhhmmm?? I've had it for roughly 2 yrs and not 1 person has said anything negative about it. I get compliments on it from teenagers to 'mature women' alike, way more women than men. I've never shipped cupcakes before??? I'm sure they'd be a mess by the time they got there..lol.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
reply to post by Raustin

watching them get and give new ones, and kept begging for one.

You are sick. A child asks for chocolate and you will describe the child as BEGGING for one.

God have mercy on you

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join