It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Tattoos Sinful? Your Thoughts...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

The Bible is a tool to keep you from doing pleasurable things and to keep you hating other people who do those things. It accounts for a lot of hatred in the world and blaming.

And anyway...

Let's also not forget about these scriptures, which also must be the word of god and thus must also be celebrated by christians:

Lev 21:16 No cripples or anyone deformed in any way may worship.
Deut 23:10 No man with his genitals damaged or missing may worship.
Deut 23:2 No bastards, even to the 10th generation, may worship.
Ex 35:2 Anyone working on Sunday shall be killed.
Prov 12:4, Cor 14:34 Women are second class citizens, subordinate to men, to be considered possessions.
Deut 21:18, disobedient children shall be stoned by their own parents.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I have a lot of Ink, and I know the Bible, there is nothing Sinful about Tattoos... It was sinful in old testament times. but So was a bunch of stuff, We are no longer bound by OT law. When we become a believer all our sins our forgiven... all past and future sins are wiped clean, So under the old covenant Tattoos would have been a sin, under the new covenant Tats our not, because we are washed clean of sin. If Tattoos were sinful it would limit Gods grace.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Tattoos are not sinful if you are using Leviticus as the reasoning for them to be against the will of God.

Moses did not write Leviticus,

en.wikipedia.org...

Since the 19th century, scholars have regarded Leviticus as being almost entirely a product of the priestly source (more recent scholarship prefers to refer to a "priestly school" of editors rather than a single priestly source), originating amongst the Aaronid priesthood circa 550–400 BCE; however, the dating of Leviticus is still widely disputed among scholars, and significant schools of thought argue either a pre-exilic, exilic, or post-exilic dating.

And so it was not a legitimate proclamation of God, but rather a bunch of priest making rules to suit themselves.

That would be one way of looking at it. If you believe in the God of Abraham, but are willing to look at the Bible from a historical perspective.

If you are a Bible literalist, and believe that the Bible can contain no error, then the answer is simple. Yes. It is.

The answer really depends on your personal beliefs.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

I reccomend a careful reading of 1st Corinthians chapter 10.

All things are lawful, but not all things edify.

Are you getting your tattoo to glorify God? Or to glorify yourself?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

Originally posted by bismos
So how long do you think a trend lasts? tattoos have been around for thousands of years, as have piercings.

Exhibit A: Tasmanian Devil tat (bicep)
Exhibit B: Barbed wire around bicep.
Exhibit C: The "tribal" lower back tat.

Those three were quite popular around 1991-1995. Don't see many people getting them these days. Could that have been a *gasp* trend?

Where do you get your info from, do you hang around tattoo studio's taking note of popular designs and peoples tattoos? Barbed wire and tribal back tattoos are just as popular now as 10, 15 years ago, you are factually incorrect! As fo the Tasmanian Devil tattoo, I've probably done 5 or 6 of them in over 17 years of tattooing, so it was never really popular here in the UK anyway. You are wrong!

Peace

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myrddin Wyllt

Where do you get your info from, do you hang around tattoo studio's taking note of popular designs and peoples tattoos? Barbed wire and tribal back tattoos are just as popular now as 10, 15 years ago, you are factually incorrect! As fo the Tasmanian Devil tattoo, I've probably done 5 or 6 of them in over 17 years of tattooing, so it was never really popular here in the UK anyway. You are wrong!

Peace

Seriously? People in the UK are still getting tribal tats? Retro.

I'm going by what I've seen. In Canada, in the early-mid 90s, those tats were quite popular. They're not anymore. Have not seen anyone with a barbed wire tat in years - the people I knew with them have had them covered long ago.

As a tattoo artist, you must be operating in a vacuum not to notice that there are trends in tattoo design.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by bismos
So how long do you think a trend lasts? tattoos have been around for thousands of years, as have piercings.

Exhibit A: Tasmanian Devil tat (bicep)
Exhibit B: Barbed wire around bicep.
Exhibit C: The "tribal" lower back tat.

Those three were quite popular around 1991-1995. Don't see many people getting them these days. Could that have been a *gasp* trend?

where in my post did it talk about certain tattoo designs? please re read my post before replying. im talking about tattoos in general are not a trend according to the definition provided by the wonderful inter-web. certain designs can be a trend but tattoos have been and will be around as long as we are.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myrddin Wyllt

Peace

Seriously? People in the UK are still getting tribal tats? Retro.

I'm going by what I've seen. In Canada, in the early-mid 90s, those tats were quite popular. They're not anymore. Have not seen anyone with a barbed wire tat in years - the people I knew with them have had them covered long ago.

As a tattoo artist, you must be operating in a vacuum not to notice that there are trends in tattoo design.

Seriously, People around the World are still getting tribal tats....so if it's been done before it's retro, but if it's new it's a trend?

By trend you mean here today gone tomorrow, just because you haven't seen anyone with a barbed wire tattoo in years does not mean they don't exist, I still do a couple every month, it's not trend or retro, it's just a piece of art that someone wants inked into their skin.

Peace

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
It does depend on your interpretation of the Bible.

As for my personal views - regarding "sin" or if they are just in bad taste or not?

To me it's an art. And has always been an art. Whether that be a visual art, or the art of reflecting an entire event in your life with a few letters.

Unfortunately, many tattoos are much more influenced from society and peer pressure than from any substantial thought from the individual.

can anyone say lower-back tattoos?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
double post.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by juveous]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Originally posted by shasta9600
If you want to cover yourself in ink...knock yourself out, but you won't be getting any congratulations from me.

I doubt people who get tattoo's require any validation from you mate! That's a pointless quote!

IRM

Most probably don't "require" any from anybody, since they seem to openly state that "it was for me".

At any rate, enjoy your ink. If you're proud of it and it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, then it's probably worth it.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Its a nosiree for me as I am a Christian.
But I do not have anything against a person, who has one.
Although I find it attractive If a female has it, but men not at all, it looks downright ugly on males.

Cheers

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Of course tattoos are not sinful. What kind of God would give you a body and the freedom to do what you want with it and then suddenly come out and slam the gavel on things? Much of morality comes from man (that which isn't hardwired directly into our brains via evolutionary precedent) and it typically shifts as society progresses, that's why the Bible condemns working on the Sabbath to death and says that women who aren't virgins on their wedding night ought to be killed. Morality has shifted, we're not living in the dark ages anymore, time for the girl you mentioned to grow up.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
No !

But I never saw a tattoo that made someone more good looking.
Ugly is what I think of them. Not the tattoo but for it being on the body...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
But I never saw a tattoo that made someone more good looking.
Ugly is what I think of them. Not the tattoo but for it being on the body...

I think people should have the right and the freedom to get them if they want, and it's not sinful. In general I find them repulsive and disgusting on women or men, but that's just me, I still think they should be able to get them if they want. Some images suggest a troubled individual, like a demon tattoo. I used to say I wouldn't date or marry a woman with a tattoo, until I found out a girl I had been dating a few weeks had a tiny tattoo on her foot I hadn't ever noticed before. When I finally saw it, it wasn't much bigger than a mole and I sort of had to retract my statement that they're all disgusting, I could actually handle that one since it was unobtrusive.

There's a reason they call them "tramp stamps" and I didn't come up with that name so don't blame me.

My grandfather had a tattoo he got when he was much younger. I would like to think it looked good when he first got it, but many years later, it was one of the most hideous and disgusting things I've ever seen. Very blurry and it just looked like a disfigurement instead of a tattoo. I think seeing how awful that thing looked after many years left a big impression on me I'll never forget.

I'm impressed with the artistry of some tattoo artists. Some of the designs I see are incredible detailed, artistic, sometimes colorful works of art. Too bad I just have this mental conditioning that makes me find it repulsive on a human body, whereas the same artwork I might find very appealing in a painting or some other art form.

But I don't think tattoos have anything to do with sin or religion.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Yoda says: I ink therefore I am.

I would suspect that many, many people who sport tattoos...are not... looking to the bible for tips on living life.

But what would Jesus do? Probably a full sleeve.

No. I do not think a tattoo is 'a sin'.

Now, I have seen some haircuts, however....

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

I have a tattoo on my left forearm that is a dragon so I am biased in favour of tats.
When I was 18 years I went and had it done not because I follow trends but because I like tattoos and I find them interesting and even sexy and on a on a woman, very exotic but that is my own taste.

Anyway I have a dragon on my arm because it is a talisman of good fortune or at least that was the thinking behind why I had it done.

As to it being sinful or not well I guess some might find them sinful or distasteful but to be blunt, I never much cared for the opinions of others when it comes to personal choice. If someone likes it and another dislikes it then so be it and if it is considered a sin then I think there is something else going on and the opinion of a tat is just a symptom of something else that is afflicting the mind of the judger.

As to bad taste well that would depend on the tattoo and what it was depicting.

I have seen tattoos that have blown me away with their beauty and I have seen tattoos across the throat that said “cut here” So yes some tattoos are really great to look at and some are not and at the same time sin in my view has nothing at all to do with it.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
That's the same argument as the people calling microchips "the mark of the devil" use. It's utter bull# and just shows why religion shouldn't influence things like that. A lot of cultures used tattoos for centuries, and last I checked they're fine...this discussion is pointless.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
My dad had a couple. He served in the US Army during WWII, and a lot of guys got them back then. I think now, it's more of a fad than anything else. You know, "My friends have them, or celebrities have them, so I should get one." But, that's just my opinion. I do have my ears pierced

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join