It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll finds debt-dogged Americans stressed out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
apnews.myway.com...

The economy trudges ahead yet debt dogs many Americans, stressing them out even as they firm up their own financial foundations.

There are new jobs produced but old worries persisting for people despite belt-tightening and boosted savings, according to an Associated Press-GfK poll.

About 46 percent of those surveyed say they're suffering from debt-related stress, and half of that group described their stress as "great deal" or "quite a bit." On the other hand, about 53 percent say they feel little or no stress at all.

New jobs being produced?? Yeah, either temp jobs or minimum wage jobs. And a lot of the minimum wage jobs are temp jobs as well.

Facing hunger and homelesses or having to go without medication, why would anyone be stressed by that??

I hope the people who did that poll didn't get a grant or something to pay for the study.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Wow what a poll. Debt dogged Americans stressed out. Anybody in the world that is debt dogged would be stressed out. Not just Americans.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
Wow what a poll. Debt dogged Americans stressed out. Anybody in the world that is debt dogged would be stressed out. Not just Americans.

Yeah, true that. It's sort of a universal human reaction for the most part.

They really needed to study it though now don't they? LOL

The ones that weren't stressed out probably still have a job.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
This may be a very uneducated assumption, but I feel many people put themselves in a situation of debt on their own.

Assuming you "rought it out" for a 5-10 year period in your life, maybe 15, after that, I do not see a reason why you would need to be in much or any debt at all the rest of your life.

Debt/interest accounts for so much of a persons income as well.

Buying houses/cars in cash would probably save an extra 20 years of work off ones life.

But everyone is so "gimmie gimmie gimmie" that they would rather live in the short term.

Perhaps I have just found out the formula for happiness...its a shame that 80% of the U.S population (completely random estimate) can not figure it out even if you yell it at their face.

I picture myself going into debt a couple times in my life.

College loans (but very minimum with scholarships/pay while in school).
First house.
First (new) car. I already have one, but hopefully pay for a new one in cash.

Thats just my life. I have to comfort of having a rent free home until aprox 22-23, and some meals...but even if that was not the case, by no means would I still be in debt late into my life.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
People are depressed and stressed out because one, they can't get that monkey off their back which is debt. And two, the jobs being produced are temp jobs and/or jobs that at most pay 7 to 10 dollars an hour. That may seem like a lot to some, but not really after you take out taxes and other expenses you might be lucky to live in a trailer park. Americans have been living on borrowed time for decades now. We aren't able to borrow our way to prosperity anymore and just you wait until the promises that where promised by companies and govt. (pensions and SS etc.) one day aren't there because of no money in the system. People will go crazy.

new topics

top topics

join