It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did all the founders of America celebrate christmas?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Well the answer is no! Just cause I made this thread doesn't mean i don't read the bible or am against Christians.

In the American colonies, Puritans, Baptists, Quakers, and Presbyterians opposed the festivities, while Catholics, Anglicans (Episcopalians), Dutch Reformed, and Lutherans approved.

Christmas celebrations became more common in America during the mid-1800s. The introduction of Christmas services in Sunday schools reduced religious opposition, while the Charles Dickens novel A Christmas Carol popularized the holiday as a family event.

Christmas origin

[edit on 30-5-2010 by SimpleKnowledge]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SimpleKnowledge

Dear SimpleKnowledge

At one point Christmas was banned in the US because they considered that Xmas was no more a holy day than any other. They band it because they didn’t like the drunken behavior that it produced.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Not all Christians celebrate Christmas. Nor do they all believe that it is Jesus' birthday.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Blueracer

Yeah I guess it just bugs me some peoples ignorance on that holiday and its history.

oh well.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Essentially correct. A lot of people who first came to America to settle were really uptight, self-righteous religious kooks who essentially got kicked out of their own countries for being such wet blankets. Although they acknowledged Christmas, they didn't "celebrate" it, because they didn't really celebrate anything.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I am of an old Calvinist sect that illustrates that not only is "Chirstmas" a pagan holiday with no origins in Christian doctrine, but also that there is a verse within the bible itself that warns against it:

"For the customs of the peoples are worthless; they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel. They adorn it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails"

Jeremiah 10:3 - 10:4

Thats just how I am familiar with it, although nowadays I am not really a religious person.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

There is a verse within the bible itself that warns against it:

"For the customs of the peoples are worthless; they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel. They adorn it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails"

Jeremiah 10:3 - 10:4

I was kind of shocked when I found first found that. I wonder how many people have pondered that verse?

2nd line

new topics

top topics

join