It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Runescape & World of Warcraft info gathering conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Years ago my nephew was sitting in front of his computer and got really excited about this brand new game. It was a little like Dungeons and Dragons, like I played a bit when I was a kid, and it looked pretty cool. It was the first month this game came out and he was convinced it would be a big hit! It is called Runescape.

Runescape now has about 10 million players (accounts) and has around 180 servers worldwide, in 10 or so countries. It's a MMORPG or Mass Multi-Player Online Role Playing Game in which you start with a low level guy and build up stats like armor making (smithing) and various fighting stats (magic, melee, ranged) among other stats like herblore for making potions, theiving, etc.

A few years back Runescape was getting big but the designers openly said they couldn't afford the backbone computer systems to advance in certain areas.

Then... a lot of changes happened
1) New management - the original designer and founder Andrew Gower stepped down and gave the main decisions to an outsider.
2) They got LOTS of new computer hardware and software to allow cutting edge industry-changing gaming.
and
3) They required your email, home address, and name...

This month they have now teamed up with Disney and Hyperion.

I've been smelling connection with the powers that be since all those changes and personal information required to play.

This so far is my personal experience - does anyone know just where all that MONEY FOR INFORMATION comes from?? Has this been tracked?

Have World of Warcraft players noticed anything similar?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Here are a few links to Runescape and the Runescape wiki page in case anyone's interested in checking it out first hand. It's free to play a pretty big demo-level game, and $5.99 a month I think for the members full version.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Thermo Klein]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
For Runscape, there is an option where you do not need to give any information at all. You just make a username and password. You only need to give an email address if you want to have a password recovery option and such. So yeah.

I don't really see too much of a conspiracy here..

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

I haven't played in a while, but when Andrew Gower stepped down and they changed the member specifications it was a requirement to provide your name, home address, and email to get a membership. I was playing at the time and used a credit card to do it.

They developed ways to get around giving personal info such as selling Runescape membership cards at Target, etc.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
No. I still have a membership on there, and never gave them an address, number, anything. You don't even need to give them your email, but if you forget your password or something, it would help. You need to give them an address if you pay by mail, or a phone number if you pay by phone. That's obvious, but if you use paypal or something, you don't need to give them anything.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I quit WoW when i noticed the change. Asking for ridicules information.

In runescape, not so much. But I do agree, its going more towards a profile game, just as Wow.

( Brother Plays both still
)

[edit on 30-5-2010 by gandhi]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Hmm.. thanks for sharing - looks like it was a trend but not a necessity. Could just be dealing with the real-world-traders and stolen credit cards.

There are people out there who buy info, obvious due to all the money that can be made by selling email lists and watching all the numerous groups stealing info. Maybe Runescape/Jagex isn't involved =)

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Runes of Magic for the win. Totally free to play, always, and the best WoW clone out there. They never ask for any of your personal info really either, in fact unless you pay for diamonds(which you can alternately get by trading in game gold), its pretty much anonymous.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I think that the private information helps keep duplicate accounts and gold-farmers at bay.

In Korean MMO's, you have to provide the equivalent of a SSN to register yourself with the game. This makes sure foreigners and multiple accounts don't exist.
Source: I tried to join the korean Gundam MMO registration page a few years ago.

I can see the conspiracy slant, but I usually don't worry about Blizzard or a gaming company having my address or name. I mean, I feel as secure as I do subscribing to magazines.

new topics

top topics

join