It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Separate Studies Conclude: Atheism = Peace, Religiosity = Higher Sociological Problems

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Correllation Between Atheism And Peace

The Chronic Dependence of Popular Religiosity upon Dysfunctional
Psychosociological Conditions

The above research (PDF format) and the following videos (the latter a review of the above link), display an apparent correlation between religiosity and serious sociological problems, and likewise a connection between atheism and general peace. The first video is based on the Global Peace Index and the second video and above link is an original research piece published in Evolutionary Psychology.

Both of the sources reach amazingly similar conclusions, both using different data points. That is, an apparent connection between atheism and peace, and consequently another connection between religiosity and negative social problems. Admittedly, society has many data points to review in order to absolutely certain on each study's similar conclusion, but the fact that different data is used and the results point in similar directions probably indicates a significant finding.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
That's about the way I would call it,

Religion is used for fear based deception and separation,
War is started by the foolish and frightened,
Love and understanding is the domain of the brave...

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I welcome Atheists,... if I'm still allowed to believe in God.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by joeroxor]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by joeroxor
I welcome Atheists,... if I'm still allowed to believe in God.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by joeroxor]

I'm all in favor of the freedom of religion: one of America's great liberties. Unfortunately, it does seem to be associated with some of America's undesirable sociological problems.

Do you simply believe in god? Are are you a religious practitioner also?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

I did a thread about this a while ago, Peace and its worse enemy...Religion...

There has been a list published recently regarding The Worlds Most Peaceful Countries. I couldn’t help but notice that some of the a lot of the most peaceful were also the least religious.

So, what does the list show us?

Within the top ten most peaceful countries were Denmark (No.2), Norway (No.3), Sweden (No.7) and Japan (No.8). The very same countries were also in the top 10 least religious countries; Sweden (No.2), Denmark (No.3), Norway (No.4) and Japan (No.8).

I then go on to look at the USA specifically and it seems to show similar results.

Although these types of surveys and statistics can be misleading they are not to be written off as a mere coincidence. There seems to be something to them as they are consistently happening.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
I then go on to look at the USA specifically and it seems to show similar results.

Similar that it's a peaceful country?
Or similar that it's a violent country?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

If you looked at the thread it would become quite obvious.

The similarities are as follows:

Most religious states follow a trend of also being some of the most dangerous states and the least religious states follow a trend of being some of the safest states.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

If you looked at the thread it would become quite obvious.

Sorry, I only read the original post and for whatever reason it didn't connect. Thanks for that post: I hadn't seen the studies that were within the states. The studies I posted only seem to have compared countries. Thanks again!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by strangleholder1

This is just propaganda. It's common knowledge that most atheists are also narcissists.

Love and understanding of yourselves and that's about it.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by randyvs]

+3 more 
posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by strangleholder1

This is just propaganda. It's common knowledge that most atheists are also narcissists.

Oh, randyvs, let's not drop that kind of trolling bait.

If it's "propaganda" why is it that the two separate studies I posted and the other separate study the poster above linked to all came to similar conclusions?

Also, why do I get the feeling you haven't checked any of those links?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Interesting report. I haven't read all 44 pages yet however as a preliminary thought i am wondering how exactly they determine that it is indeed the atheism that is the key to a more peaceful society?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
From my view of the world (athiest), I'd tend to agree. That's not to say it's because I'm on the winning side of the equation, but due to my experience and travels around the world, exposure to other cultures, and reading.

I tend to find that religion is, at it's heart, not something of faith at all, but rather simply an emotional pursuit. Emotion, being the irrational balance to our logical side, isn't always a bad thing, but it certainly doesn't help when dealing with matters of State, Global policy, or anything else of universal importance (meaning not personal).

The views I've experienced from the religious tend to be emotional and superficial, although it's not 100%. That's not to say that those who don't believe have well reasoned positions, but that they are less likely to say they know the answer when it's clear that they don't have any clue.

Religion is fine with me, provided it isn't the sole base for someone's position. I find that to be intellectually dishonest, cheap, infantile, and generally offensive to the god they worship who gave them a brain for a reason.

Peace
KJ

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I am sorry but these sort of "research" are nothing but a scam, and shows these people would rather ignore history, than learn from it.

Atheism gave us Communism. Communism is an atheist, and a materialistic point of view of the world, in which humans are seen as robots without a soul/spirit.

Yet Communism, an atheist belief, has caused more death in the 19th and 20th century than all world wars, and other conflicts from around the world put together.

Atheism is not a synonym of peace... I apologize for raining in this padade, or should I write parady?

[edit on 30-5-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
i find these studies interesting. the atheists that i've come across have been some of the rudest, intolerant, ignorant people i've met. not to say that all atheists are like that, obviously they arent. but for every 1 peaceful atheist i've met there are at least 10 that are far from peaceful. they're just full of hatred. maybe its the part of the world i live in?

+3 more 
posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

It's common knowledge that most atheists are also narcissists.

Yes you're right, not believing that humans are the centre of the universe and something that anyone would desire to create issssss definitely narcissism... *sarcasm meter off the chart!*

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilishlyangelic23
i find these studies interesting. the atheists that i've come across have been some of the rudest, intolerant, ignorant people i've met. not to say that all atheists are like that, obviously they arent. but for every 1 peaceful atheist i've met there are at least 10 that are far from peaceful. they're just full of hatred. maybe its the part of the world i live in?

Just curious - - how does someone come across an Atheist?

Was there a discussion going on about religion or something - - they were then invited to join?

In my experience - Atheists/Pagans/Agnostics - - - rarely bring up the subject of their belief.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I forgot to include the following.

Communism - Atheism and Amorality
Communism doesnt end with economic and political reform. By definition, it further demands the abolition of both Religion and the Absolute Morality founded upon Religion. The irony is that Communism supposedly attempts to enhance civility within society, but removes all notions of Absolute Morality, the very cornerstone of civility. Furthermore, after Communism is instituted by the people, the system becomes Totalitarian, resulting in greater oppression of the people it was designed to "serve." This fact is well documented throughout the history of Communist nations.

www.allaboutphilosophy.org...

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by devilishlyangelic23

the atheists that i've come across have been some of the rudest, intolerant, ignorant people i've met

Any examples?

"Atheists" are only atheists because theists exist. If theists hadn't invented the idea of god, then non-believers wouldn't need such a labelling.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by john124]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
And Atheism not only tries to destroy religions, but any sense of spirituality within individuals.

An atheist world would be a world of robots, where people are not spiritual beings, but are only biological and materialistic.

+2 more 
posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I couldn't disagree more.

Communism has incorporated atheism, as atheism came first.

If anything, one could make the case that the Communist regimes that have come to power have made use of religion in creating religious states.

North Korea, Mao and Stalin are good examples, so it's not as cut and dry as you'd like to claim it to be.

Atheism is lack of belief, not any kind of advocacy for political theory. That is a fallacious premise that you might reconsider as it does your point no justice or service.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join