It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College students, wasting there time/money?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Ok, now i realize that wasting time is somewhat irrelevant depending on your philosophical viewpoint. Past that...

Yesterday i was talking to my girlfriend who is attending college currently full time, she also works full time waiting tables. Well anyway something interesting she said to me was this,

I was talking to people at work yesterday who just graduated college and i was asking them what their plans were and they all basically said the same thing, nothing! They seemed to all be in agreement that waiting tables paid the bills and they had no future plans after college.

To me this is disappointing. This could mean a few things, the next generation will not be as encouraged to attend schools (school isn't the problem it's the curriculum), the job market really is horrible and on the decline, and they are making tons of money while perpetuating lies to these kids!

I am disappointed with the fact that we are allowing these kids to be fed lies by the education system and governing body thereof. Why is there not more of a demand for education reform on all levels? In my personal experience with UCSB, they are being over paid and over charging for these educations. I sat and watched lectures from psychology, and english classes and was almost angry at what was being taught, and the level of understanding these "teachers" really have...

Mybe i am wrong, or mybe this is a rant. Anyway thanks for reading.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Once im out of the army, im going to trade school instead of college. There are more job opportunities in common skills then going to college for some white collar desk job. Only time will tell if colleges will rethink its teaching methods for more available jobs.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Many people are wasting money on college because high schools are allowing students who can barely read, write, or perform basic math to graduate.

One may very well need to have a college degree to wait tables because many restaurant owners would not want to hire the typical high school graduate. Many high school graduates would not be able to read or understand the restaurant's menu. Many high school graduates may not be able to write down the customers' orders. Many high school graduates may not be able to tabulate the bill. A restaurant owner could be reasonably certain that someone with at least some college education will be able to do these tasks.

The same can be said of other jobs like clerical work or laboratory work. The work may not be intellectually demanding, but one needs basic skills to do these jobs that many high school graduates lack.

The solution to the problem would be to eliminate the need for many students to get a college education by making high school graduation requirements highly rigorous. This way, employers could be certain a person with a high school diploma could do basic tasks and these people would not have to waste time and money "proving" they have basic literacy and math skills by going to college.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This is why i did not finish my alevels, and goto uni. Most people who goto uni still end up where others are, lol.

What is more important in the real world is your good at talking, and you can con people. People who are good at lying seem to do very well, but if you cannot lie like me, its a hard world, lol.

Going to uni, is only a small thing when you think loads goto uni, and remember there are only so many good jobs out there, that are interesting. The rest of the jobs are so boring, but we all have to live.

I for one just walked away from that chance as i thought its just a waste of time, and hassle.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Seeing how you have used the wrong "there" (their), maybe some more schooling isn't that bad

All joking aside, I see where you are coming from. I went to a state university for a year, and was absolutly miserable. I have a $5,000 student loan, which is nothing compared to most, but will be something I will have to pay back eventually. I was in an education major, but hated it, and now I see there really aren't any jobs in teaching anyway.

Now I'm back living at home, taking classes here and there at a community college, and hope will end up with some type of degree eventually, but the future doesn't look good for any field, in terms of jobs. Luckily, I work for a very stable company, and could always move up in my position as a "plan B". I just feel relieved i'm not wasting so much of my money (I don't get help from mommy and daddy, the only aid I get is an employer scholarship which almost covers a full semester of community college) for a bleak future.

Many would disagree, but I see college nowadays as a giant money-making scam. It doesn't matter where you go, it's the same s*it. Everyone I know that has graduated in the past few years has gotten nothing but restaurant jobs, and very limited part-time positions, things that would not require a degree to begin with. Education is worthwhile, but only when there is a purpose behind it. Actual, physical and mental experience beats cramming and passing tests any day.

Edit: whoops...my brain is off today, I also used the wrong "there"
[edit on 30-5-2010 by compwiz32190]

[edit on 30-5-2010 by compwiz32190]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by compwiz32190

I was rubbish at english, but my main things where science and maths, like others, people tend to be good at certain things. My grammar was never that good, as i never read much as a kid. I would not think you need to understand they're or there much in a quadratic equation.

The most important skill in the real world is to be able to lie, and have good communication skills.

[edit on 5/30/2010 by andy1033]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

I have agree with a lot of what you are saying. There really should be more standards held for high school. I think the real problem is that they are teaching basic math, english and all their coursework as the main course when in fact they should be the by product of what the student really wants. I realize they use goal setting but goal setting means nothing. When i was growing up i wanted to be an astronaut, if they started teaching me how to become and astronaut and made science the by product and math the by product, i would have been more successful. But im sure we all have different views on the education system.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by compwiz32190
Seeing how you have used the wrong "there" (they're), maybe some more schooling isn't that bad

Sorry, still wrong. It should be "their", not "they're" which is the contraction of "they are".

And I did not go to college.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

One thing they most definitely are is dumbing down people in education today. When i was at school they went from o levels to gcse, and that was a big drop, and changed dramatically how they teached and we learnt.

They are dumbing people down.

Like i said, most important skills in real world, is to be able to lie and communicate well.

[edit on 5/30/2010 by andy1033]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I wish I could argue with you on your last point, but unfortunately we live in a world where the B.S. artist is more highly valued than the person who actually does something.

Kids if you want to get ahead in the corporate world, find a way to look busy while accomplishing nothing.

If you accomplish something, you will attract negative attention. Jealous yes-men will try and tear you down. Also, sometimes when you try and do something you are not going to be successful. People who never stepped up to the plate and hit a single will hound you for the times you struck out even though you may have hit several home runs.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Yes. It's definitely a waste of time in 2010. I'm not sure what vision others have, but in my view, civilization will drastically change over the coming years and decades, and most of what is taught in schools which somehow passes for an education will be utterly useless. You want an education? Go to the library or local book store and start reading everything you can on various trades and survival skills. Learn a little bit of everything, because renaissance men are the people who will thrive while everyone else strives in this new era that is dawning. Go talk to everyday people about the simple things in life. Learn how to live off the land and reconnect with nature.

I'm investing in my future by not buying into the propaganda and conditioning, by not being an schooled fool, and by buying some land and learning to farm it. The future is in people which produce and provide for local communities. We don't need video-editors or sound engineers, or marketing guru's. That's all rubbish. Agriculture is the black gold of the 21st century.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

Exactly, in the real world, you will find arse kissing helps alot and is where lying comes in so badly.

If you goto work and just work, that breeds negativity like you said.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
As an above poster litely mentioned I think we are touching on the larger part of the edumacation conspiracy....

Not speaking specifically to all public students, but the vast majority of them...."no one imparticular"

I believe the corperate part of our gov't...the real leaders if you will, are in ca-hoots on this.

Why..better yet how? are our youth graduating High School...just to take a college entrance exam...just to find out they need to take 25-50% of the high school classes they have already taken over...but due to ...a lax...high school cariculum...they now get to spend $$$ to retake and pass the same classes to be elligable to then begin...basic college classes.

So in short a 4 year degree is a 5 year schooling.....
an extra year of pay.
thats a 25% increase in what a college gets paid....and they get federall and state funding, wish I were smart nuf to make a thread bout dat....

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
College is a really great idea. I have a Bachelor's degree and pursuing a master's. I have learned a lot in my five years of education. College has changed me; it has matured me and really helped me think more critically. For that alone; I am glad I went to college.
When I started my education in 2005; there were many oppurtunities. I agree that college education does not get you a job anymore. There are more jobs such as asstitant manager at a fast food resturant or sales jobs available now than actual careers.
The only reason I am finishing my Master's is to teach online courses and to learn. I really don't care about making tons of money. If anyone is going to college simply for fincical gain than they are in it for the wrong reasons. It is not fincially sound during a recession; but I would never discourage those who truly want to learn.
The days having a career are over; now people just have jobs they hate. So many jobs are being outsourced to other countries in the United States. I am not sure how it is in other countries but companies seemed to be less concerned about americans presently.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

You make some good points, i will have to agree that there is a positive side to everything .

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I only finished one sem of a university. Left it. I made my own businesses, and still no customers to any of them. But I still get paid THANKS TO SOMEBODY DEFRAUDING ME. I laugh at the suckers who caused me to live FREE.

After a HS ed you really dont need to spend money on higher ed since you'll only be having to pay it back. Plus its no jobs out here. Laws make it so many wont be EMPLOYERS so that there can be jobs.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I initially was taking only a few classes a semester and working two jobs to pay the bills. Miserable. Had to be at work at 6am, and didn't get home until 10:30pm. Then I had to do all my homework for the day. Well starting fall semester 09, my active duty mother transferred her GI Bill to me and now I get to finish school 100% tuition paid. Fair trade being she went to Iraq twice I think. Since I have the opportunity now to do what I want, I'm getting a BS with a major in Mathematics and my teacher certification. I plan on teaching high school math. IMO college isn't a waste of time or money, but the kids getting the education don't appreciate it. It's a generational problem to me. We EXPECT everything, so we don't grasp the benefits we have. And school shouldn't be a baby-sitter of your knowledge. We should all understand that in our free times we need to expand our knowledge in the areas we see fit for our personal lives. Going to school collectively betters our communities, if we used it the right way.

edit - spelling

[edit on 30-5-2010 by newBodyoldSoul]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
When you graduate with debt, and the job market is shrinking, what are you supposed to do?

You go back to the job you had while you were in college.

I'd love to start a business, but getting my hands on enough capital to do so is nearly impossible for me. I'm already in debt, and my take home is about $19k a year.

There are mountains of talent being put to no use in this country. So many people could be doing so much more, but it seems like the big corporations have established monster monopolies that already control the market, so if you want to be a newcomer to that industry, you either get beat by them, or you join them for a low wage.

Why should the rich stockholders make all the profits of a corporation? Isn't it the employees that make it possible in the first place?

I was accused by my grandfather of "hating america".

Honestly, I think he may be right now.

new topics

top topics

join