It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible habitable moon(s) found?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Here is something that went under the radar, I believe.

It is a gas giant that is positioned at a distance where temperatures are between minus 20 to 160. If the giant has rocky moons, it could support one or more life forms...

The interesting thing about Corot-9b, however - as compared to other such planets glimpsed so far across the vasty voids of interstellar space - is that it lies at such a distance from its parent sun that liquid water could perhaps exist in its vicinity. An international team of scientists has calculated that temperatures at the planetary "gaseous surface" are "expected to be between 160 degrees and minus 20 degrees Celsius", according to Dr Henri Boffin of the European Southern Observatory. The ESO's groundbased instruments also contributed to the research.

Things are getting interesting, no? Prep for disclosure?

www.theregister.co.uk...

Edited tittle with "found"
[edit on 30-5-2010 by Aresh Troxit]

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Aresh Troxit]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Aresh Troxit

What, they found a gas giant that might have moons?, that could sustain life if water is present? Yep!

It is pretty interesting, seeing as how, not so long ago, scientific establishment was totally closed to the idea of having a possibility for life outside of Earth's realm...

With some of the new generation of telescopes that are being built, it will be easier to find precise information about distant celestial bodies.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Awesome!!

Corse we wont know for sure until we get a "closer" look at the moons, but cool anyways.

Wish we could get a closer look now but alas, if we do have the tech us poor citz don't know it yet.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellsmight

Yes, that is the down side of it all. Nonetheless, we are getting at it ever so slowly. It should be really interesting in 40 or 50 years!

I hope they do find moons around the planet, tho.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aresh Troxit
reply to post by Hellsmight

Yes, that is the down side of it all. Nonetheless, we are getting at it ever so slowly. It should be really interesting in 40 or 50 years!

I hope they do find moons around the planet, tho.

Exciting times indeed, a whole bunch of planets are being found, it's just a matter of time till we spot Earth like ones, and this gas giant is a pretty damn good bet. I'm sure it has a few moons orbiting around it, just look at our own gas giants, there's certainly no shortage of interesting moons!

Wouldn't it be really cool if they discovered not only one habitable moon, but a few orbiting that planet? Just how amazing it would be?

new topics

top topics

join