It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maher: Obama not acting like a "Real Black" President

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Ohhh I know, he took a racial slur, which is disrespectful and harmful to our current political climate in general and made it worse.

He encouraged such behaviour.

~Keeper

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
What- no jokes about fried chicken and watermelon? No asides about getting his lips caught in Air Force One's hatch?

Obama's just completely and utterly failing. Anyone can do that- even if he was a Martian. To make comments because of one's skin color or who they are personally is stupid.

However, I'd pay $$ to see Obama grow a set and backhand BP's CEO. To be honest, I'd pay to see ANY President grow a set and beat the crap out of one of these rich *blankety blanks*! Doesn't have to be 'a ghetto boy' moment. How about good old fashioned righteous anger?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
As a frequent watcher of Bill Maher, and someone who happens to have a Black mother, I'm actually disgusted. The negative connotation of Black people is IMO what holds most black people back. Maher has a pass with the black community so I highly doubt there will be ANY kind of backlash, but it still doesn't take away the fact what he said was wrong and immature. I thought we would be celebrating educated black men, not expecting them to fulfill outdated stereotypes.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

a joke about fried chicken would be gratuitous and beside the point. the joke was funny and relevant because of the situation...and because it mirrors the anger people feel toward BP and their public statements. yes, the joke was based on a stereotype...most jokes are in one way or another...that's why we get them...

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I think its funny, I also think it presents a good point in a memorable way. Obama should throw down the boot, but so should have any hypothetical white president. There just using the comedic racial spin in to bring light on an issue with our miserable bureaucracy.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
so if obama was out freestyling and having presidential breakdances, and drinking crystahl no one would have a problem with it?
ooh maybe he should put all his speeches in rhyme and have a secretery of beatboxing play him some jams

we dah people
ready for change
yeah uh uh
yeah uh uh
every body in da house
say new healthcare!

seriously though people would still be bitchn if he was black enough yo

[edit on 30-5-2010 by ashanu90]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Maher making a joke about Obama not being "black" enough is VERY different from playing a song that includes a racial slur towards the President.

What exactly was the "racial slur"? Calling him a Negro? GASP! I just looked at the lyrics, there were no slurs. Maher does a very negative sterotype of a black man and he get's an artistic get out of jail card. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Maher making a joke about Obama not being "black" enough is VERY different from playing a song that includes a racial slur towards the President.

What exactly was the "racial slur"? Calling him a Negro? GASP! I just looked at the lyrics, there were no slurs. Maher does a very negative sterotype of a black man and he get's an artistic get out of j
ail card. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

Look,

The reason the world Negro was used instead of that other colorful word, is because had those people used the other colorful word, there would have been rioting and somebody would have been shot.

Anytime somebody uses the word Negro, they mean the other one, that's just the safety.

Would you call an African American a Negro to his face?

~Keeper

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
Not that I care for Obama ....still think he's an Illuminati puppet (change? what change? It seems to be like all the others when they were prez)...

Yeah I know what change he has brought, more powers for Corporations, more power for Lobbyist, more restrictions on private citizens, and more reasons to abandon the US$.

I want to move to Vermont, start a hemp farm and teach people how to use computers! The whole thing makes me sick.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by theuhstuf]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

The first step Obama could take would be giving back the cash BP gave him. Afterall, he was the highest recipient of BP cash

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Anytime somebody uses the word Negro, they mean the other one, that's just the safety.

Would you call an African American a Negro to his face?

~Keeper

What is the word for black in some of the other worldly languages?

Google Translate

"Key word: Black Man"

English to:

- Spanish
- French
- Portuguese

What do these countries call a man of African Descent? I think you are making it a bigger deal.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
maher is a talkin douchebag spewing horsesh*t and towing the government line. i have no respect for him or his opinons.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

No no, you misunderstand.

If you speak a language where the definition of Black Man is negro, then by all means your using the correct term.

However, if you are English speaking white man and you CHOOSE to use the word Negro instead of Black or African American, then you used it because your trying to imply something.

To me, personally, it's a racial slur if not being used in the context of another language such as portugese or spanish.

~Keeper

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

reply to post by prionace glauca

However, if you are English speaking white man and you CHOOSE to use the word Negro instead of Black or African American, then you used it because your trying to imply something.

This is super racism right here.

So it's wrong to call a guy a "Negro" , But it's ok to say "ALL English Speaking White MEN" Are racists every time they say the word negro.

Well I think this is over-generalizing, and promoting highly racist and divisive rhetoric.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I don't think so.

What other possible reason would somebody have to use the word Negro. It is after all from a different language. If there was no racism involved in the speaking of the word, why would you not just use the proper english term?

I agree that perhaps generalizing all english white men was a bad thing, it's just the way I see it.

In Rush Limbaugh's case however, I still think my stance is exactly what his line of thought was.

~Keeper

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

What other possible reason would somebody have to use the word Negro.

OMG you just said "Negro" you must be a dirty racist!!!!

Hey YOU said it! There is only ONE reason anyone would ever use that word.

Guess you just fulfilled your own prejudices eh??

Karma.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Really?

That was your argument?

Classic.

~Keeper

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Who cares about Bill anyway. It should be more duisturbing that Obama is not acting like any kind of president what so ever.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I started to ask how exactly a "real" black president would act, and then I realized who had made the comment. It's a sad day when anything from Maher, especially in a comedy bit if that's where this came from, is taken seriously. Yeah his comment is perpetuating the stereotype that black men are (or are supposed to be) thugs and/or gangsta wannabe's, but considering the source I don't think it's really anything to get too worked up over. He didn't get where he is today by being politically correct and it's rather pointless to expect him to start being PC now.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

The first step Obama could take would be giving back the cash BP gave him. After all, he was the highest recipient of BP cash

Exactly. And do it PUBLICLY.

That said- if someone wants to be racist, do it in the privacy of your own HOME. The rest of us aren't interested. Wanna make jokes? Do it at the house. Wanna make comments? Do it where the rest of civilized society doesn't have to listen. This goes for the illegals calling whites and anyone else who isn't them gringos, and blacks calling white people whatever's fashionable this year, too. None of us should have to put up with anyone else's BS.

So far, We've had one retard making jokes at the President's daughter, and one making jokes about his race. Personally, If Obama DID have a 'ghetto moment' on these 2- Who'd blame him? Lousy president? Sure. Screwing the country up? Yah.. Need to have some overpaid schoolyard bullies make jokes at his personal expense? NO.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by wylekat]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join