It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia launches legal action over Japan whaling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Australia launches legal action over Japan whaling

www.reuters.com

Australia's government on Friday announced plans for legal action against Japan to stop Southern Ocean scientific whaling, but said it did not expect retaliation from its second-biggest trading partner.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

"The Australian government has not taken this decision lightly," Foreign Minister Stephen Smith said after announcing legal papers would be lodged in the International Court of Justice in The Hague next week.

"We have been patient and committed in our efforts to find a diplomatic resolution to this issue. We have engaged in intensive discussions in the International Whaling Commission (IWC) and bilaterally with Japan," Smith said.

Whales are the most majestic creatures of the sea in my opinion. Such giants of the ocean who are constantly moving with grace surveying the earth's the oceans.

I myself have been just few 100 feet away from whales and find them to be just amazing. Some whales can live to be over 200 years old.

Now enter the whalers that are hunting whales to edge of extinction in International Waters, where no laws are followed. These whalers mainly from Japan, insist that such hunting is for the benefit of science which the opposing bodies reject as a front to kill whales for commercial practices. In 1985, there was a international moratorium placed on all commercial whaling including those conducted on international waters. Opposition claims that Japan uses its research chapter to bypass this very moratorium.

The following videos depict some of the modern whaling practices.

GRAPHIC VIDEOS (Warning)

I am glad to see that Australia is taking a lead in standing against such practices.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join