It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Taps' History told by John Wayne (lest we not Forget our Fallen Soldiers on this Memorial Day)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
....and at this time, I just watched the military band (whatever it was) perform "Amazing Grace' Right in front of that big ol' Coke sign at the coca cola 600 in Charlotte. It was touching, then disgusting.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
As a veteran this holiday means a lot to me. Not personally but as a tribute to the people I knew and can honestly say loved, that died fighting for this country. It brings a new dimension to Memorial Day. I believe it is a day that most cannot and will not understand.

The Generation that gets it are a dying. The children and wives of soldiers that leave and dont ever come home. Some do it for honor...most are young men and women trying to feed their families. People too proud to sit on their ass and live off of welfare. These are children of our nation that go to war...not because they are bloodthirsty but because that is what they were ordered to do. They made a commitment to serve their country and followed through with it.

After returning from the desert I had the opportunity to be part of the burial detail for soldiers returning from the Gulf. I hated the idea but as I shined my boots and readied my dress uniform I thought to myself that I was freakin lucky to be able to perform that duty.

I have to say it was surreal. It was a nasty rainy morning when we left for the funeral that morning and as we drove to the cemetary it tappered off and the sun started to come out and it created a foggy haze that only Virginia seems to have.

I remember this like it was yesterday. I think it is such a prominent memory because it was the first funeral I had been to that I could remember and it wasn't anyone I knew. He was just another soldier.

Well as the graveside ceremony was coming to an end and the 21 gun salute was finished. From some distance away there were these damn bagpipes playing Amazing grace. Now I grew up in the deep south as a Baptist and that was my favorite hymn to hear...I had tears running down my face as I presented his mother with her flag. We all stood there in total silence until it was over.

To this day I have yet to experience anything so emotional. I wish everyone of the people that dont understand the holiday could have been there at that ceremony and without a doubt you would "get" it.

ps...that was close to 20yrs ago and I can still remember his name...but that is mine and I wont share it....just another soldier right?

Kafer

[edit on 30-5-2010 by kaferwerks]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
To any soldier who gave his life, for any country, in any theatre. for any reason.
This day is for remembering you, that some may contemplate why you would do such a noble thing just for your ideas.
Antone who would understand this I thank, any who don't I understand.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kaferwerks

Your story gave me chills. I thank you for sharing it my friend

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Awesome thread my man..S&F for you..

Thank you for posting this as i a m a veteran and i really appreciate it

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Thank you to all people who have served. I just hope the people who are currently serving in the middle east make it home without a lot more losses of life!

Peace

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I give thanks to all the men and woman who have fought for our safety through the years, for all those who have died for us. In memory of Bobby (a family friend who lost his life so many years ago), and to all those like him, you are remembered and appreciated.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Aldeberan

As a veteran I have to disagree with you and everything you have said. As a veteran I have defended your right to say it. Job done

I find it illuminating that you have been a member for a whole day, looks to me like a troll.

edited for grammar.

[edit on 31/5/10 by barkingdogamato]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
im still having some issues that obama and his mama cant hang at arlington national cemetary this weekend because he thinks that all of those already in there sleeping stood for nothing and didnt pay for any of their health benefits and thats why he cant get his health care bill passed he blames it on bush loyalty ok maybe bush missed a few steps but now we have the antichrist and his lovely wife jezabel to welcome you back home and look after your grave as long as you can pay for your own health insurance but hassan nissan who waxed 13 soldiers in ft hood needs special treatment i think we might need to bring some of our frontline troups home back home to texas maybe a place like san antonio where he's been resting comfortably for atleast 6 months in the courts with the help of obama and his mama maybe they could come home for the weekend and sharpen up on their sniper skills im sure 13 families are ready for some kind of justice there pieces of the puzzle missing in their lives lets help fill them in for them texas

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
A few years ago a young man died and his funeral was being held at the funeral home down the street. He was killed in action and his funeral services we announced over the news and suddenly the protesters organized and was planning an antiwar demonstration at the same time ant the funeral home....

A local branch of a motorcycle club called the Leathernecks caught wind of it. They are all Marine Corps Vets. They along with everyone else with a motorcyle showed up at the same time and COMPLETELY lined the streets and held American Flags up that totally blocked the protesting people from the view of the family. It was absolutely the coolest thing I have seen.

They showed up with a Color Guard and this really beautiful hearse(if there is such a thing as a beautiful one) It was oak and glass and pulled by a motorcycle and they draped his casket with a flag and you could see it as they drive it by.

My children and I stood with a friend of mine next to his bike as they passed. The kids were quiet and respectful as if they new the importance of the event...I was so proud of them
They were 7 & 5 at the time.

I am happy to share stories like that...the things I have seen in the past 22yrs...I refuse to acknowledge anyone that will take away from those that have died...Especially those that never served.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Memorial Day is set aside as a day for what?
If my father, or brother, sister or best friend died in a war, is this the day I honor them?
Is this the day "set aside", where we can all grieve together?
Well, YES, I suppose.
We are supposed to fly the flag, to show our support for the dead.
We are NOT supposed to ask WHY. Not on Memorial Day. We can ask why almost any other day. (Veterans Day, don't ask why).

It is about something MORE than whether any war is worth being fought, and people dying for some cause.

Memorial Day is for the living. Just like a funeral is for the living. It is for the family left behind.

You don't judge the dead at a funeral. You honor their life, a life they committed to, right or wrong. Who is to say that any of us is any better?

So, on Memorial Day, you honor human beings that gave their life for something they believed in. That is honorable. You cannot, and in my mind, should not attempt to take that away from the living.

I say that as someone that is totally against ALL wars. I sincerely hope that someday we can get beyond the insanity.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Stewie]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

GREAT POST thanks for posting this.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kaferwerks

tip of the hat to you and prayers lost my women 3yrs to month to breast cancer its been quiet over here but she told me to look after her pops before she had to go away well last summer it was his turn he was 90 ret airforce col a brit fought the luftwafa i only had crocidle tears as i went to work that day but we had an emb 145 that was throwing smoke in the cabin only at certian pwr settings that nobody could find i went on the test hop and at 12000ft the symptoms appeared it felt like i wasnt the only one up there yeah the crew was there but this plane had been test hopped before and nobody could find anything sweet baby jesus but on approach we had to fly over my womens favorite restaurant i could see it from 4400 ft on final i wish she was still here but maybe she was with me and i didnt know it

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I know some of you may have already read this, but i thought UberL33t's thread was appropriate to post it in for those who havnt read it yet.

THE FINAL INSPECTION

The soldier stood and faced God,
Which must always come to pass.
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just as brightly as his brass.

'Step forward now, you soldier,
How shall I deal with you ?
Have you always turned the other cheek ?
To My Church have you been true?'

The soldier squared his shoulders and said,
'No, Lord, I guess I ain't.
Because those of us who carry guns,
Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
And at times my talk was tough.
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,
That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime,
When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God, forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around,
Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand.
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand.

There was a silence all around the throne,
Where the saints had often trod.
As the soldier waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.

'Step forward now, you soldier,
You've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell.'

Author Unknown~

As us Aussies say.... Lest We Forget

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Indeed, this was an appropriate post. Thank you for doing so!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Very nice,

thanks for that....

g

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Dear UberL33t

This is a good thread and one worth doing. The soldier of are nations deserve our respect and you have shown that here today. The people of the USA are great people no one will deign of that I am sure. The stars and strips reflects the burden that has been born by the soldiers and the people of the USA.

However your leadership has left me in dismay.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

Our leadership leaves us in dismay as well MAC269. Soldiers are worth more than politicians by at least 5:1. Maybe we should give the Marines a break, and send our politicians in first, and do the whole world a huge favor.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Good job sir. Nothing else need tobe said, after listening to and watching the other videos.

May God watch over them all.

And have no mercy on the men that make these brave souls perish for now reason-other than their own personal gain and greed.

S&F!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by robatmj12

ok thanks for listening my women sleeps now but she was concerned that her father followed went looking for her in the afterlife now she could get a bit windy after a bottle of wine and i had to endure that for about 13 yrs but it was still nice to nestle up to her on a cold night but i thought she made up stuff about her pops she passed and then he passed he was 90 he was raf fought the luftwafa stories are mixed went to his funeral like obama told me to he was a col in the airforce i was expecting a flyby but i was wrong only the airforce cadets came from abilene tx not knocking them it was a nice effort all the way to ft worth asked them later they volenteered for the assignment all 9 of them but im finding out col eddy was highly decorated and 90 people were at his funeral and they didnt know anything about him he was army aircore before the airforce was formed had 11 nice medals like wwII korea western africa i got tired of watching barney fife and otis push this roll away piano into the next funeral parlor for the next event i wasnt quite right they said obama told them dont think about it just keep getting rid of them and that last 70yrs of patriotism lets just pretend we didnt that

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join