'Taps' History told by John Wayne (lest we not Forget our Fallen Soldiers on this Memorial Day)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+22 more 
posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
On this Memorial Day weekend, which is commonly known for it's backyard BBQ's and jubilant get togethers by friends and family alike.

Please enjoy it safely!

I just wanted to take this moment to post this to ask that you (if you haven't done so already) take just a moment out of your holiday to remember why we are able to have this day.

The following video tells of the history of "Taps" that is played at every soldiers funeral. Thank you to all who are serving or who have served, but most importantly, My un-dieing gratitude to those that gave their lives!

To emphasize:

I felt this needed to be added per the latest discussion:

To Those Who Want To Burn the Flag

Just ask permission….

Does the first Amendment give us the right to desecrate the American flag?
Or is the flag a sacred symbol of our nation, deserving protection by law?

Tough call?

"The Solution"

For those who want to light Old Glory on fire, stomp all over it, or spit on it to make some sort of "statement,"
I say let them do it.

But under one condition: they MUST get permission from three sponsors.

First, you need permission of a war veteran.

Perhaps a Marine who fought at Iwo Jima? The American flag was raised over Mount Surabachi upon the bodies of thousands of dead buddies. Each night spent on Iwo meant half of everyone you knew would be dead tomorrow, a coin flip away from a bloody end upon a patch of sand your mother couldn't find on a map.

Or maybe ask a Vietnam vet who spent years tortured in a small, filthy cell unfit for a dog. Or a Korean War soldier who helped rescue half a nation from Communism, or a Desert Storm warrior who repulsed a bloody dictator from raping and pillaging an innocent country.

That flag represented your mother and father, your sister and brother, your friends, neighbors, and everyone at home. I wonder what they would say if someone asked them permission to burn the American flag?

Next, you need a signature from an immigrant. Their brothers and sisters may still languish in their native land, often under tyranny, poverty and misery. Or maybe they died on the way here, never to touch our shores. Some have seen friends and family get tortured and murdered by their own government for daring to do things we take for granted every day.
For those who risked everything simply for the chance to become an American...what kind of feelings do they have for the flag when they Pledge Allegiance the first time?

Go to a naturalization ceremony and see for yourself, the tears of pride, the thanks, the love and respect of this nation, as they finally embrace the American flag as their own. Ask one of them if it would be OK to tear up the flag.

Last, you should get the signature of a mother. Not just any mother. You need a mother of someone who gave their life for America. It doesn't even have to be from a war. It could be a cop. Or a fireman. Maybe a Secret Service or NSA agent. Then again, it could be a common foot soldier as well. When that son or daughter is laid to rest, their family is given one gift by the American people; an American flag. Go on. I dare you. Ask that mother to spit on her flag.

I wonder what the founding fathers thought of the American flag as they drafted the Declaration of Independence? They knew this act would drag young America into war with England, the greatest power on earth. They also knew failure meant more than just a disappointment.

It meant a noose snugly stretched around their necks.

But they needed a symbol, something to inspire the new nation. Something to represent the seriousness, the purpose and conviction that we held our new idea of individual freedom. Something worth living for. Something worth dying for.

I wonder how they'd feel if someone asked them permission to toss their flag in a mud puddle?

Away from family, away from the precious shores of home, in the face of overwhelming odds and often in the face of death, the American flag inspires those who believe in the American dream, the American promise, the American vision...

Americans who don't appreciate the flag don't appreciate this nation. And those who appreciate this nation appreciate the American flag. Those who fought, fought for that flag. Those who died, died for that flag. And those who love America love that flag. And defend it.

So if you want to desecrate the American flag, before you spit on it or before you burn it ...

I have a simple request. Just ask permission.

Not from the Constitution. Not from some obscure law. Not from the politicians or the pundits. Instead, ask those who defended our nation so that we may be free today. Ask those who struggled to reach our shores so that they may join us in the American dream. And ask those who clutch a flag in place of their sacrificed sons and daughters, given to this nation so that others may be free.

For we cannot ask permission from those who died wishing they could, just once ... or once again ... see, touch or kiss the flag that stands for our nation, the United States of America ...

To Those Who Want To Burn the Flag

OP Edit: per RealityisanIllusion's information.

[edit on 5/30/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
On the contrary, TAPS is not played at the lowering of the flag in the evening. Retreat is sounded followed by the evening gun firing and the flag is lowered to "To the Color" in military installations.
However, I find your posting honorable and appreciated. I am proud to know that there are still people that appreciate our service.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RealityisanIllusion

Thank you for the correction

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
ATS:

Please show your support for our men and women in the U.S. Armed Forces as well as the Allied Forces fighting along side.

What ever your view is on this war or why we're currently fighting, or wars in the past, or war in general for that matter, set it aside for a moment and remember those that gave their lives for what they believe in.

[edit on 5/30/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
S+F For a great Thread UberL33t!!

I'm not in the U.S and I don’t really agree with War but I'm still so grateful and I really do appreciate all the brave men and women serving today!

Let’s hope they all come home safe ASAP!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
All gave some, and some gave all.

www.youtube.com...

As an American I can honestly say I will cry for my country tomorrow. Like the song says, "America, can't you see?"

Thank you Men and Women of the Armed Forces. I know in my heart you'll never turn on us. Just make the right decisions, ok?

That flag means something to a lot of us.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by KANE OG]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Aldeberan

Man, Have some respect for those who died fighting for what they thought was right.

All I have to say!

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The Governments are the villains, not the soldiers.

2nd line

[edit on 30-5-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
the music from "taps is mostlikely a rearangement from (scot) tatoo and comes from the dutch word taptoe.
which also was played at the end of the day

some say it was named after the dutch words tap-toe (meaning close the beer? tap)and go to bed
The Tatoo was used to recall soldiers from local pubs and tavern at the end of the evening.

source:www.west-point.org...
and us-civil-war.suite101.com...

others say its name originates from germany
Tattoo originated during the Thirty Years War, 1618-1648, and in German was called "Zapfenstreich." At 9:00 P.M., as the call was sounded, all bungs (zapfen) had to be replaced in their barrels, signifying the end of nightly drinking. The provost guard then drew a chalk line (streich) across the bung so that it could not be reopened without evidence of tampering. Tattoo is the longest U.S. Army call, consisting of twenty- eight measures. The first eight are from the French call "Extinction de Feux" and the last twenty measures are from the British "First Post" - in turn adapted from an old Neapolitan Cavalry call "Il Silencio".

taptoe signal during memorial day in the netherlands
www.youtube.com...

edit to fix link

[edit on 30/5/10 by voorbereid]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Well, if all these "hitmen" had refused to fight in the 1940's we would all be speaking German and Japanese today at the expense of Millions/Billions of innocent lives.

It was those soldiers who saved every one of us.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Why can't you just chill out and give us your opinion in a respectable manner instead of just shouting down people’s throats trying to MAKE them believe in what you believe in.

So seriously just relax cause the only way you’re going to bring us round to your way of thinking is if you do it intelligently.

Shouting gets you nowhere.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

If this holiday makes you physically ill I genuinely hope you spend the next 24 hours vomiting uncontrollably you worthless git. This holiday isn't about the United States government and it sure as hell isn't about whatever petty, disingenous garbage you think it's responsible for. It's about people's family members who gave their lives for something they believed in, whether you agree with it or not.

Mods, if you want to delete this for T&C go right ahead. My father was buried as members of the 82nd played taps and gave him a 21-gun salute. Leftist trash like this designed to get a rise out of people on Memorial Day makes me want to beat the @#$t out of something.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by Legion2112]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

And you think all the brave Soldiers who fought then all thought it was about financial gain?

No, it was because they believed their country and it's people and their own families were at risk of being invaded, that's why they fought.

Wow, could you use a more cliche and stereotypically brainwashed argument please

Well, if you realised how close some of us came to being defeated and the remarkable bravery/lives it took to save us, then you would understand why I would chose this example.

I understand your frustrations, your obviously young, and a stereotypical youngster at that. Someday you will look back on your comments when you grow up and realise just how daft you were.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed

And you think all the brave Soldiers who fought then all thought it was about financial gain?

No, it was because they believed their country and it's people and their own families were at risk of being invaded, that's why they fought.

Wow, could you use a more cliche and stereotypically brainwashed argument please

Well, if you realised how close some of us came to being defeated and the remarkable bravery/lives it took to save us, then you would understand why I would chose this example.

I understand your frustrations, your obviously young, and a stereotypical youngster at that. Someday you will look back on your comments when you grow up and realise just how daft you were.

Yeah, I'm sure I will. I will look back from the destroyed planet that your generation leaves for mine and wonder why we never stood up and stopped you.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

and wonder why we never stood up and stopped you

I can tell you "why" now, it's because you were at your computer expressing your ill conceived views as opposed to doing something constructive about it. It's easy to be a critic, walk a mile in the shoes of another man before you criticize what he does and why!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join