It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 most toxic places in the world

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
S&F.

The movie Wall-E comes to mind ...

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
S + F for you OP!

It is good and right for us to turn our eyes from our glitzy gadgets and busy lifestyles to see how those habits impact our world around us, even in reaches where we almost never retrieve any information. Your iPhone has wires, and those wires need to be mined, and the glass needs to be blown and the case made. It boggles ones mind when you go through one day and think about how everything you touch/use/ride in has to be made, and the implications of that.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Humanity is a scourge upon the earth, and I quite look forward to the cleansing of humanity from the earth, be it via viral pandemic, meteor strike, pole shift etc. Just a matter of time I think.

7 billion people is about 6.75 billion too many people in my book.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This is the result of living in a disposable society where the economic engine runs on consumption.

Isn't greed good.

Have you ever considered how much plastic is everywhere, like they can't get rid of the stuff fast enough?

That because the reality is that the oil refineries can't get rid of plastic fast enough. Plastic is a by product of oil. If the oil companies don't find a use for it, then they will have to pay for it.

So the oil companies send out all of this plastic to be used as products, so they don't have to pay for its disposal, and that is exactly what we see in most of these pictures.

If we spent more time building quality products, so that we don't have to constantly replace things, we wouldn't have to buy so much stuff.

We could also then get by working less hours and spending more time living quality lives, raising out children, living the good life.

Instead of running the rat maze built by corporate masters.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

I watch as many people indiscriminately pitch cigarette butts, paper, plastic wrappers, bottles and cups out of their window each morning and evening going to / from work.

Yes you are most right, if everyone did this we would end up looking like that Indonesia river you showed.

The people who do litter are thoughless, selfish and immature.

Sometimes I have the urge to throw their garbage back at them.

Good post Broaches, maybe you have enlightened some folks out there.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/665e343793b9.gif[/atsimg]

[edit on 30-5-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
The freedom

Freedom is not for people to make laws to keep you from throwing garbage out your window .

Garbage is just something we must learn to stop doing . I mean if a man wants to throw his # out his window , In a free nation, It should be alrite to do , I would clean it up for him . I would understand his emotional problems for throwing it out . Or he may even like to do it .

But toxic places is not from people throwing there stuff on land . Its from nations not building trash location . A place that puts trash in a voult and mixes stuff with it to turn into dirt . Anything . And the dirt could be used for plants

There is no need for Tattle Tails or money makers eather, No room for silly games or even dodging adult hood acting strong behind an evil light . Garbage is bad , But its natural we use it for purpose , therefore governments should make all garbage return to dirt after a few months alone using some method then we all can be as lazy as we want

[edit on 30-5-2010 by AndersonLee]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AndersonLee

It takes a long, long time for plastic to turn back to dirt.

Thus the problem with plastics.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
Humanity is a scourge upon the earth, and I quite look forward to the cleansing of humanity from the earth, be it via viral pandemic, meteor strike, pole shift etc. Just a matter of time I think.

So Glad Not one before you decided that you would not be in The "Book"

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
We're a dinky little island south of Cuba about 100 miles, nothing much else around here.

I pick up a construction bag (big trash bag) full of washed-up crap on just 250 feet of beach each week. Many others do the same. Mostly oil containers, other plastic containers. We've been doing this for 18 years. Imagine how much crap is out there floating if just this little 12-mile island gets so much. The southerly side of this island gets even more, plus some tar as a bonus.

We're told that passing cruise ships and tankers are the source. I really wonder. Are there really that many people out there passing by that just don't give a single solitary crap about the oceans and just dump trash? What has become of us as a species?

I once had an anthropology final in college. I finished it and discovered an extra credit question: "Describe in 250 words or less the primary difference between humanity and lower order primates?"

I wrote 11 words: Humans are the only animals that [defecate] in their own nest. Now, that's not entirely true, as cows will actually crap on each other's heads, but it was good for full credit, even though Miss Margaret, the Prof. didn't really approve of my vulgar language. It remains true, though, no? We make us sick.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

How's that going to solve anything, that would take most of the life forms with it, leaving it a dead rock.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
.............. I thought the kids in the water(is there any water?) were dead!
and the gulf can be added to the list.
if I could I would kill off all of mankind.
even the best of you if you had the job of president of america would go bad.
its what humans do. it comes from the survival instinct.
kill or be kill’d.
monkeys will kill other monkeys for land and a mate.
humans are at the teenager stage.
and if they dont grow up quick.
they will die like a junky.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

I downloaded this video a while ago, and it has haunted me ever since. It is called, "A World Without Water".

video.google.com...#

It may explain to you why 1 out of 6 unfortunate souls on our planet do not have access to clean water.

The one Peruvian man and his ancestors have lived on their land for thousands of years and yet a French Corporation own the water rights next door to him.

IMO, air, water, the sun and wind are natural resources that should belong to all of us to share equally and should not be privatized. That in and of itself is a conspiracy - 41:40 in World Without Water (Ronald Reagan & Margaret Thacther/World Banks connection).

All our natural resources are being privatized and that is going to affect all of us eventually, giving large corporatons and the elite rich that will own them a real strangle hold over the common man. Today it is water, tomorrow, clean air and sunlight.

Think you are safe and immune to what this film shows, think again - I predict there will come a time in the not too distant future that clean water will cost as much as petro.

I use to let the water trickle while I brushed my teeth.

If this 1:16 film does not scare and move you, possibly you do not have a soul.

I am 58 and I remember our planet being cleaner, a lot cleaner just 30 years ago.

I also remember there never, until recently, being talk of water shortages - but there are whispers and rumors that within less than half a century, many of us may know what it is like to value a simple glass of clean water more than a bottle of champagne or 14 oz steak.

There may come a time, when only the very wealthy can afford clean water.

Why? To process a cow, pig, bottle of soda pop, all take a lot of water to process.

To process one liter of Coca Cola they must use 3 liters of water. That is absolutely illogical.

Humans can live with very little or no animal protein, raising cows and sheep (I grew up on a cow/sheep/chicken farm) and cattle, particularly take enormous amounts of water to maintain (four/five times that of what one human could consume).

We waste so much of our water on unnecessary things.

Now, with cutting down millions of acres of trees each year coupled with the various oil spills we are messing with our weather big time.

This in turn may cause more deserts to expand due to less rainfall. In addition, more people are being born = less fresh water.

In India a farmer that has family going back 1000 years on a plot of land is only allowed 4-5 hours of water a couple times a week while the Coca Cola Plant next door is allowed unlimited access to that country's water. In other words, this Indian farmer's government has sold him out in favor of a large corporation.

There is a major injust imbalance in the way our fresh water is being used.

Many people, particularly in America, don't see this crisis coming. Everyone again is hiding their head in the sand. This problem is not going away, it's approaching and fast.

I remember when you could turn on the tap and get a drink of water without using the Brita Filter System. The water tasted really nice and to see someone, anyone drinking bottled water was very rare. Now, it's common place to see everyone drinking bottled water and most tap water tastes raunchy.

We as a species are pooping in the very bed we sleep in and that is not being foresightful.

Most people simply don't care, they don't think this issue will ever affect them.

I can see what is in this film coming to America as well within my grandchilds lifetime.

We have already seen how our government bailed out the banks here in America, we're going to allow the globally elite bankers to own our water today, and our air and sunlight tomorrow.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

How's that going to solve anything, that would take most of the life forms with it, leaving it a dead rock.

Ask yourself a question. Would Earth be in better shape with or without 7 billion humans running roughshod over it?

I think that answers itself....

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkrunner

What would make the Earth better is if the humans currently living on this beautiful, sacred Earth expanded their minds to solve actual problems, both in nature and in our society instead of complaining about issues in a demeaning, haughty manner. We should love one another, not sulk in a corner waiting for the world to explode
These pictures clearly show a Gaea in turmoil, and in intense pain. Do Her children need to fight amongst themselves also?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Sadly I agree with you.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

Wow. Truly sickening. Thanks for
posting such needed information.
Eye opening.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I think it would be more humanitarian if we worked to clean up our act rather then hope one-another die.

Hoping for complete Elimination of the human race seems to be a very defeatist attitude,

WHAT?

It is easier to ALL die then to put forth any effort?

This is the same disposable mindset, we live in a disposable world, just throw the people out with the garbage.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

People nowadays seem, for the most part, to be numb to pollution news such as this, so I think part of the issue is not the defeatist attitude, its the issue that most people think that it is not as severe. However, when one does start talking about removing the human race from the planet, be it through killing or the entire race moving to some brand spanking new planet, that is moreso a deeply rooted personal issue than anything from the outside impacting that person.

We just gotta work to allow people to feel loved again is all!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScarletNyx
reply to post by Stormdancer777

People nowadays seem, for the most part, to be numb to pollution news such as this, so I think part of the issue is not the defeatist attitude, its the issue that most people think that it is not as severe. However, when one does start talking about removing the human race from the planet, be it through killing or the entire race moving to some brand spanking new planet, that is moreso a deeply rooted personal issue than anything from the outside impacting that person.

We just gotta work to allow people to feel loved again is all!

I can't imagine a person with loved ones wishing for total annihilation of their own family as well.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScarletNyx

What would make the Earth better is if the humans currently living on this beautiful, sacred Earth expanded their minds to solve actual problems, both in nature and in our society instead of complaining about issues in a demeaning, haughty manner. We should love one another, not sulk in a corner waiting for the world to explode
These pictures clearly show a Gaea in turmoil, and in intense pain. Do Her children need to fight amongst themselves also?

Indeed, that would be better.

But this is mankind we're talking about here. It's in our nature to destroy ourselves..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join