It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 most toxic places in the world

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Nature will eventually find a way to rid itself of these problems.
Nature will find a way if we do not!

I completely agree. This kind of contamination will create its own corrective action at some point. If the contamination cannot be eliminated, and the source of the contamination cannot be eliminated, then the cause of the contamination will be eliminated.

I think that Newton's third law of motion is valid in this realm as well:

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Welcome to a brave new world

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e38f6a41ca68.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9cb31fff8d29.jpg[/atsimg]

Being a solution oriented person, I would like to see someone turn the Door to Hell into a giant incinerator for trash.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f73a35e4cd7a.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Freedom or Death]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom or Death

Sorry, Hell does not incinerate trash. It spews it out.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1cf4b4580e45.jpg[/atsimg]

I'm surprised Tromaville didn't make the list, what with all of the hideously deformed creatures of super human size and strength they have running around there.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9298c1192db0.jpg[/atsimg]

Seriously though, I think the trash in orbit is the most disturbing. We're even turning space in to a landfill.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Thank you for your post. I appreciate your (partial) exposure of just how remarkably stupid our species can be. As you're surely aware, for about the past couple of hundred years (and I'm being generous), our planet has been experiencing its sixth mass exinction in its history. Most of this latter destruction can be dragged quite convincingly to the human door.

Your post reinforces the greedy madness and lack of empathy for others that has driven our species for some time, now. The people who own these factories do not live near their destructive effects. And they have no concern for those who do live near them.

Unless we finally advance past the "I got mine, good luck with getting yours" social construction we've endured since at least the discovery of irrigation, all of our species--the owners of the factories, etc. and the people who suffer living near them--will become victims of this sixth mass extinction. Life will go on. The Earth will go on. But humans won't. ALL of us. The planet is set to dust us off like a bad case of fleas.

I don't think it's too late for us. Well, I say that, but I have no idea what happens if the British Petroleum issue in the Gulf infects the major oceanic currents. My point is that, yes, technology can play an important part in our rescue--and we do need rescuing. But we must pull back in some very real ways from the overwhelming greed that has poisoned us all and begin working WITH the planet instead of against it. At least working with the planet in regards to the continuation of human existence.

Thanks again for your post. Truly informative.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lookingup
Where are all the folks who post on ATS claiming the Earth can support millions, or even billions of more people and who are indignant that anyone should be concerned with limiting the number of children a person produces?

All the muck in those pictures is a direct result of billions of humans and rampant irresponsible behavior.

You don't need much responsibility to make Nike shoes.... and that's all "those" people are required to know.

China has birth control laws for a long time and it didn't solve their pollution much. Perhaps the sole existence of people isn't the problem, the problem is what they are doing.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom or Death
Being a solution oriented person, I would like to see someone turn the Door to Hell into a giant incinerator for trash.

But then there's acid rain killing even more than the trash itself. So... been there done that

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Underdeveloped countries end up with worse littering problems because consumerism has been going mainstream in recent years. The problem? They can't afford more waste management and many nations buy OUR TRASH!!!! How pathetic!

In smaller cities and towns in Brazil, the trash is left at the curb, literally. No bins like in the US. If you see trash just sitting around next to the curb, will you be inspired not to litter? Heck, it took campaigns here to make it a conscious effort.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This is why I find it ridiculous that we should have stricter environmental laws in the US. People say we are a major polluter and should be a leader in cleanup....We are a leader in cleanup and have made efforts to fix mistakes. There are many many countries with rivers and lakes such as these photos...lets fix them and worry about their pollution

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Lookingup

Where are all the folks who post on ATS claiming the Earth can support millions, or even billions of more people and who are indignant that anyone should be concerned with limiting the number of children a person produces?

All the muck in those pictures is a direct result of billions of humans and rampant irresponsible behavior.

While I disagree about the billions of people bit as everyone posting here is part of those billions , and enjoying life to some extent , without those levels of pollution , you have answered your question ; rampant irresponsible behavior. The corporations and factories and the ignorant people doing the polluting are the irresponsible ones. But here's the flipside , 200-300 yrs ago most of these pollutants were non-existent , most of the materials dumped were organic and bio-degradable and was actually good for the environment as fertilizer.With the advent of industrialism which paved the way for modern living , things like plastics , and dangerous chemicals and compounds which are artificial and non-degradable or take too long to degrade now end up being dumped. Sure they may be more resilient or versatile but the downside is they take long to degrade and many are highly toxic , both to produce and dump.

Now here's the punchline , Why reduce humans when the simple solution is to reduce and ban these toxic materials and use more eco-friendly , organic materials? Get back to equilibrium , instead many here are falling for the NWO trap of reducing their "we the people" , the plebs , the serfs' powerbase (our numbers) , so they can control us more efficiently. It seems to me this is all happening by nefarious design. Like baking a cake with cyanide , silly really.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SassyCat

China has birth control laws for a long time and it didn't solve their pollution much. Perhaps the sole existence of people isn't the problem, the problem is what they are doing.

Kudos , This is exactly what I mean. What do people expect when they dump inorganic , slow to non-biodegradables? Effort and education would go a long way in curbing these messes.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Amazing pictures but sad at the same time,sometimes we moan about where we live & whats around us but never stop to think what other parts of the world are like.
The river with the swimming children was pretty shocking,chernobyl has always fasinated me for some reason.
what a world we live in

[edit on 30-5-2010 by rhynouk]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Number 3 in your source has a two faced ending.

I'd like to urge you to read This thread by Muckster. and watch the video Sandri_90 posted in the first reply.

That said...

These pictures are really disturbing S & F.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
This is great, because I remember seeing a thread today with the headline along the lines of "US, the world's village idiot?".

HAHAHAHA

At least for the most part, we don't # where we eat, literally. However strong willed and devil may care Americans' may seem, at least we harbor a strong sense of personal responsibility, even if the mainstream media has partly succeeded in brainwashing a good portion of our population. Pride isn't always a sin.

And I'm sure some people will blame all these polluted places on "American Imperialism" or "Western Exploitation". Sure some PRIVATELY OWNED companies based in America may be doing polluting in these places. But honestly if their governments and people don't seem to care enough about their own futures, there's always going to be parasites more than willing to make a killing off of this will to ignorance.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by vardlokkur]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lookingup

The world can support billions more than we currently have, the highlighted section is the problem along with 'tribal hoarding' of resources. We already have the technology to negate a large amount of problems we face now in 2010, the only problem is challenging the monopoly that currently has it's tentacles firmly latched around our world.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Why is it every time someone starts a thread about pollution or global warming, there's always someone who puts us all in the same basket and then whines on about over population and how all humans are all the same. If you took all the decent human beings out of the equation, which is the majority of people, you'd still end up with a planet that looks trashed and the biggest culprits are governments and corporations who have a thirst for wealth & power and if it means cutting down rain forests, polluting our oceans, or contaminating our food & water supplies, then so be it. They just don't give a damn. It's the attitude of politicians and corporations that needs to change. The recent BP oil spill is proof of this fact.

BP CEO: Gulf Coast Oil Spill Is Relatively 'Tiny' Compared To 'Very Big Ocean'

It's time to teach these morons a lesson. I sincerely would love someone to pour oil all over this guys million dollar mansion and see how he likes it. Then again he'd probably just buy another mansion and a couple of hundred acres to go with it. Sigh!!

It doesn't surprise me that India is such a mess, as they have one of the most corrupt governments on Earth.

theplanetd.com...

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kindred

Here here!

Agree completely. Its the same old culprits as what causes all ills of the planet - money and oiwer. Yes the corporates and their slaves the governments are what does the damage.

What has has to happen is a complete mindshift away from money and profit to sustainability.

A corporates workers first priority must NOT be to maximise profit, but to ensure sustanability. When that is written into LAW the world may begin to improve.

Problem is that so many people LOVE money and hold the power that it wont happen. Without a serious revolution at least.

Technology, knowledge and a whole lotta good people exist on the planet today to achieve a sustainable existence. Sadly, they are being prevented dfrom doing that by greedy bastards who have a lot of $$ to lose.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

I visited the source, and these pictures are horrendous. So many of us live lives of abundance far removed from such places, never realizing our lives of abundance are often part of the cause.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Great eye-opening post.

But ugh.

Interesting that so many of the places that were mentioned have religious beliefs in karma. Many people believe "that's just my karma....swimming in trash...."

Makes you wonder today as you're grilling your steaks and heading off to the beach and shelling shrimp what sort of karma you had to live in a place where the beaches don't resemble dumps.

I'm not a huge environmentalist.....until I see pictures like this.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Truly a deserving flag.

It's true. I doubt that the main majority of the river is from the locals, or if it is most of them are uneducated enough to know the true impact of what they are doing.

BUT those foreign factories, major investments, the government, well know what they are actually doing, well know of the true devastation that they are causing and well know the true number of deaths they are causing.

Not all humans are to blame, but yes, there are many.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join