It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Paralysis – A Paranormal Phenomenon?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Sleep Paralysis – A Paranormal Phenomenon?

*First Off, I AM NOT disputing the existence of Ghosts and/or any paranormal phenomenon that has occurred (as I study and believe in it myself) to various members here in the past or present, Im simply sharing knowledge I have that I feel is particularly important and CAN explain away a certain aspect of the paranormal that alot of members have been led to believe is genuine paranormal phenomenon when it is not*

Sleep paralysis is something that SHOULD effect MOST of the people that are reading this thread right now! Whether it's occurred yet or whether they have in fact realized it or not, That being so I find it particularly 'interesting ' that for most of us our knowledge of this topic seems to be not ‘up to scratch’ as it is with many of the other topics on ATS and not just the ones in this individual forum.

Maybe it's an importance issue or because people just don't care, Who knows but when I look around at some of the threads here I see sooo many question marks surrounding Sleep Paralysis by a lot of the members, New and old, some asking what is it? How does it/can it happen? Am I Ill because this weird, strange and 'completely unexplainable paranormal phenomenon' that is happening to me? etc. etc. Some other members even go down the route of explaining in great detail a strange phenomenon (one that most often than not fits perfectly into the criteria of what sleep paralysis is) that had happened to them which they have 'absolutely no rational way of explaining'
So In turn they then believe that what they had just experienced can only be explained (as a rational explanation isn’t within reach) explained via a more otherworldly conclusion to the matter (AKA alien Abduction) or just simply what they had experienced was of a paranormal nature. (Demonic Possession for common example)

Ok, So Immediately ATS, reasoning for this thread becomes clear as all of a sudden my the main purpose for making this thread made which to clarify is primarily because I want to inform and may I add that I'm planning on not JUST informing you about what I believe to be true about a fascinating subject like sleep paralysis but I’m also like everyone else with every other topic no matter how much we know about it I am as well as you! Nothing but a mere learner! of it.
So once again that being so I sincerely hope that the same method shall apply in this thread as it does with every other thread I and others shall decide to make on ATS forums.......

Because we’re all learners here and we’re all trying to pass on what we already know to our fellow members at the same time, Creating a thread with false information no matter how miniscule or unimportant should mean, I would hope, that someone would be so kind enough to correct me in a respectable and intelligent manner (that’s means not calling me a troll if I make a unfortunate mistake
)

No one is right all the time and feedback on what I write, Positive or negative will always be appreciated.

....You may find it odd That I'm mentioning something like that right now of all places but I feel I HAVE to mention that especially in this early stage of this particular thread because I think about sleep paralysis alot, I try and study it when I can and also of course learn about it in the process, not forgetting it’s a phenomenon that occurs to me on a regular basis and I feel it's important to know about it and to understand why it may happen, how it could happen and most importantly of all what it is!

Thank You.......

I hope You enjoy reading this thread!

First and Foremost.....

[color=Crimson]FA[color=SkyBlue]Q:

** REMINDER* Some information MAY be repeated through each of the available sections.* REMINDER* *

- What is Sleep Paralysis?

Sleep paralysis is in one of it's shortest forms 'Being Awake but unable to move'
It's pretty much as simple as that...Digging deeper however it's basically during the REM (Rapid Eye Movement) stage of your sleep cycle, something that you WILL go through every night that you go to sleep , the body is in it's natural state of paralysis known as Muscular Atonia.
It's role is simple....It's to stop you from acting out all of your dreams etc.

Now it is entirely possible for your body to wake during this stage (AKA Sleep Paralysis
) But if you was to suddenly awake (medically known as an hypnopompic state) then in most people this stage will carry on for a couple of minutes to around 7 in total, depends on the severity of the type of paralysis you suffer from, all the while the person is completely aware!
It's also very likely that at this stage they will start to hallucinate as well, (Known as hypnagogic hallucinations) the key though is remembering it's a hallucination in the first place but sadly most people do not which is the reasoning for the belief of what I previously mentioned that this is some sort of alien abduction or other paranormal means.

Although admittedly it's by far easier said than done as the realistic factor in this is massive as we can sometimes see people(from mere shadows to real human beings), other random objects that shouldn't be there, we can smell certain smells, or all at the same time and much more, it is certainly a frightening experience.

Some even suffer with breathing problems and others have panic symptoms!

Please DO read this interesting article explaining further...

Hypnagogic and Hypnopompic Hallucinations during Sleep Paralysis: Neurological and Cultural Construction of the Night-Mare

Hypnagogic and hypnopompic experiences (HHEs) accompanying sleep paralysis (SP) are often cited as sources of accounts of supernatural nocturnal assaults and paranormal experiences. Descriptions of such experiences are remarkably consistent across time and cultures and consistent also with known mechanisms of REM states. A three-factor structural model of HHEs based on their relations both to cultural narratives and REM neurophysiology is developed and tested with several large samples.

One factor, labelled Intruder, consisting of sensed presence, fear, and auditory and visual hallucinations, is conjectured to originate in a hyper vigilant state initiated in the midbrain. Another factor, Incubus, comprising pressure on the chest, breathing difficulties, and pain, is attributed to effects of hyperpolarisation of motor neurons on perceptions of respiration.

These two factors have in common an implied alien “other” consistent with occult narratives identified in numerous contemporary and historical cultures.

A third factor, labelled Unusual Bodily Experiences, consisting of floating/flying sensations, out-of-body experiences, and feelings of bliss, is related to physically impossible experiences generated by conflicts of endogenous and exogenous activation related to body position, orientation, and movement. Implications of this last factor for understanding of orientational primacy in self-consciousness are considered. Central features of the model developed here are consistent with recent work on hallucinations associated with hypnosis and schizophrenia.
(Source)

Another short and simple description of sleep paralysis is this below....

Sleep paralysis consists of a period of inability to perform voluntary movements either at sleep onset (called hypnogogic or predormital form) or upon awakening (called hypnopompic or postdormtal form).
Sleep paralysis may also be referred to as isolated sleep paralysis, familial sleep paralysis, hynogogic or hypnopompic paralysis, predormital or postdormital paralysis.
(Source)

As one would be able to understand this can be and is quite a frightening experience for the sufferer as the feeling of self control is very much gone and the feelings of fear and terror are very much apparent.

Please Do Continue Reading Into The Next Post.

Thank You!

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Continued from previous post.....

- What are the REAL Causes & Symptoms of Sleep Paralysis?

Some (rational) possible causes and potential tips for sleep paralysis sufferers:

Potential Causes:
  • 1 cause for sleep paralysis could simply be sleeping in an upward facing or just generally in somewhat of a supine position, This position accounts for a HUGE percentage of sufferers, This is actually the position that sleep paralysis activates for me personally as well.

• It wouldn't be too much of a surprise that stress would play a part as an increase is also claimed to trigger sleep paralysis to occur.

• Having an odd sleep pattern could also trigger sleep paralysis as sleep deprivation, sleeping in, and staying up too late are classic inducing symptoms also.

• Sudden environment changes as well as lifestyle changes also play a part (see stress)

• A lucid dream that immediately precedes the episode.

If you have sleep paralysis it's important to try and remember these to rule out a more paranormal explanation that people seem to come to.

Tips:

• With sleep paralysis a simple method such as coughing the word 'cough' repeatedly can help to stop it.
    Although you must remember that you may still go into another episode if you try to immediately go back to sleep.
    Coughing is both a voluntary and involuntary response, which such responses break the sleeping state.

• Sleep paralysis may start to disappear if you have a regular sleep pattern such as going to bed at the same time, having enough sleep etc.

• Concentrating on trying to move or shake could bring you out of sleep paralysis, something which I've managed myself with relative ease.

• Avoid Sleeping on your back!

See this link as many of the explanations are posted above as well as many more helpful ones.

Going deeper......Symptoms of sleep paralysis one would think would be pretty self explanatory though in all honesty, well they are! Sleep paralysis sufferers most of the time suffer partial paralysis of arms, legs and upper torso, Sometimes there can be a tight or heavy pressure on your chest maybe with a choking sensation. (read HSP below)

The most important thing to remember is that what is happening is NOT real, no matter how real it may seem!...Which is does.
    It's a hallucination, the only damage it can do it mental and that will only happen if you let it!

- When Can Sleep Paralysis Strike?

Basically Sleep paralysis can strike at anytime of the day, it's most active times seem to be at night or early in the morning, mainly when people are falling asleep or waking up!
    Which is an important factor in this!

It's believed that sleep paralysis occurs during REM (rapid eye movement) which has already been explained in this thread and waking while moving into or out of this stage means that you are paralysed because Muscular Atonia at this stage had already begun.

Google Video Link

This short video may be worth a watch also.

Explanation of The Types of Sleep Paralysis:

There are 2 main types of sleep paralysis that people can suffer from...

'Common Sleep Paralysis' (CSP)

And the already mentioned 'Hallucinatory (hypnagogic) sleep paralysis' (HSP)

'Common Sleep Paralysis' is pretty self explanatory really as it's exactly what it's named after.....It's the most common type of sleep paralysis that people shall suffer from/experience.
    So common that nearly every adult in their lifetime will experience it at least once (according to researchers from 1992) every couple of years, some possibly won't even realize it!
    This type of 'temporary paralysation' affects our gross motor functions and macro muscle groups of the body causing us to feel paralysis in muscular Atonia.

Lucky for sleep paralysis sufferers that this type of sleep paralysis only lasts for a very very short period of time, roughly ranging from a few seconds to around a minute or so. (some have reported much longer)

In short this is the type of paralysis that one would hope to suffer from (rather than HSP below) as hallucination isn't a problem and the paralysis lasts for a very short period of time.

'Hallucinatory (AKA. hypnagogic) sleep paralysis' (HSP) Is alot more rare to experience than the aptly named Common Sleep Paralysis but it does still happen to people (I've experienced it myself)
    This type of phenomenon is also known to people as 'hypnagogic sleep paralysis' and also 'the Hag phenomena' (AKA Old Hag Syndrome, Something i will discuss soon) And can be extremely frightening especially to one who is not aware or familiar with any type of sleep paralysis what so ever!.

It's particularly frightening for the person experiencing it because obviously the feeling of paralysis is all too present as well as terrifying hallucinations and most common the feeling of specifically an evil presence in the room also!
    This sufferer in this example won’t even be aware that this is a hallucination leading them to perceive it as 'reality'
    Many who have reached this extreme stage of (hypnagogic) sleep paralysis often claim someone is sitting on top of them, sometimes choking them as well.
    This being so the very strong feeling of imminent death and fear are obviously all too present leading the person suffering this to believe this to be the paranormal phenomenon when in reality it really IS NOT.

What's potentially more frightening about this phenomenon though is not the experience that is happening during it but the amount of time it's happening in the first place as many claim it to be happening for sometimes around 8 minutes or so, sometimes more, sometimes less but most leaving many people with severe panic symptoms along the way.

Bizarrely though strange new evidence about this phenomenon also suggests that this type of sleep paralysis is also said to be 'geographically influenced' meaning that it almost appears to follow a certain geographical guideline such as effecting an entire village very much like an epidemic would!
    So for example a certain location which previously had no reports of HSP occurring suddenly is then inundated by victims of this phenomenon completely without warning.
    Although though this is in fact relatively new research but it does seem to happen and it also seems that certain regions stay infected for upwards to three years, with the most common being only a few months then it is back to what it previously was, and a new region is then affected.

It is also claimed that HSP can/does run in families and is hereditary although no such connection has ever been found but research is being conducted still to this day in fact.

Old Hag Syndrome:

"Old Hag Syndrome" sometimes referred to as "Night Hag" is another commonly used term for SP among many different cultures mainly in the western world. The term Old Hag is probably derived from a couple of sources, one being the word for Nightmare; Night -of course, we know this already, Mare being derived from the old English term Maere meaning demon or incubus (an incubus is believed to be a demon that visits during the night).

Other sources as listed by Dr. J. A. Cheyne, University of Waterloo Psych. Dept include German mar/mare, nachtmahr, Hexendrücken (witch pressing), Alpdruck (efl pressure), Czech muera, Polish zmora, Russian Kikimora, French cauchmar (trampling ogre), Greek ephialtes (one who leaps upon) and mora (the night "mare" or monster, ogre, spirit, etc.), Roman incubus (one who presses or crushes) ge, (evil spirit or the night-mare--also hegge, haegtesse, haehtisse, haegte); Old Norse mara, Old Irish mar/more.

I feel that Old Hag Syndrome most certainly deserves a mention here as I've seen it being mentioned sooo many times around the board mainly by people who do not understand what it is and also it most certainly deserves a mention in this particular section of this thread of all places as I believe Old Hag Syndrome to be nothing but an explainable phenomenon that is caused by an effect of an HSP hallucination, Old Hag Syndrome I feel is such a big problem as so many people are captivated by it and refuse to believe in anything other than it being true! but look at the symptoms of it and you can clearly see how closely it relates and fits the criteria of HSP perfectly.

Victims of "Old Hag Syndrome" awake to find that they cannot move, even though they can see, hear, feel and smell. There is sometimes the feeling of a great weight on the chest and the sense that there is a sinister or evil presence in the room. And like the above reader, they are often quite frightened about what is happening to them.

The name of the phenomenon comes from the superstitious belief that a witch - or an old hag - sits or "rides" the chest of the victims, rendering them immobile. Although that explanation isn't taken very seriously nowadays, the perplexing and often very frightening nature of the phenomenon leads many people to believe that there are supernatural forces at work - ghosts or demons. The experience is so frightening because the victims, although paralyzed, seem to have full use of their senses.

In fact, it is often accompanied by strange smells, the sound of approaching footsteps, apparitions of weird shadows or glowing eyes, and the oppressive weight on the chest, making breathing difficult if not impossible. All of the body's senses are telling the victims that something real and unusual is happening to them.
    (Source)

Please Do Continue Reading Into The Next Post.

• posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:00 AM
    link   
    So In my opinion No! it's not holding any paranormal merit what so ever and its backed up scientifically although I get the sense some members here may completely disagree with me but I really do wish to ask for a better explanation that is in fact backed up properly that says this is a paranormal phenomenon.

So despite what some believe Sleep Paralysis IS NOT Paranormal, It's explained Via hallucinations in a proper and scientific manner!!

Hope you Enjoyed Reading

Any Thoughts?

Also Here is an interesting video that i think some may quite enjoy watching.

*I've not watch it all yet*

Sleep Paralysis 1/5 Ghost Visions

Sleep Paralysis 2/5 Ghost Visions

Sleep Paralysis 3/5 Ghost Visions

Sleep Paralysis 4/5 Ghost Visions

Sleep Paralysis 5/5 Ghost Visions

Here are some helpful links that some may find helpful and also some that I used when researching for this thread.

About.com - Paranormal Phenomenon - The 'Old Hag' Syndrome

About.com - Paranormal Phenomenon - What is Old Hag Syndrome?

CastleofSpirits - Sleep Paralysis - Old Hag Syndrome

Green Spun - 2 Types of Sleep Paralysis

HubPages - Types of Sleep Disorders -Sleep Paralysis

MedTerms - Definition of Sleep Paralysis

NeurologyChannel.com - Types of Sleep Disorders

Night Terrors - Night Terrors Resource Centre

SleepDisordersGuide - Sleep Paralysis - Common and Hallucinatory (hypnagogic) sleep paralysis.

Sleep Paralysis – Old Hag Syndrome, Shadow People and Demons in the Dark – Sleep Paralysis Treatment

Sleep Paralysis: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment

WikiHow - Coping with Sleep Paralysis

Wikipeia - N-REM

Wikipedia - REM

Wikipedia - Sleep Paralysis

UK - Sleep Paralysis Information Centre

Thank You for reading.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:22 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Rising Against

S&F for yet another incredible, meticulous researched thread

I personally have never experienced this phenomena, but it certainly must cause much distress to the unfortunate people who have, and I'm sure you will get many replies from members on this site that have first hand experience of it.

I am very open minded, but would tend to possibly agree with you that paranormal activity is not occuring during this process.
    The " old hag " syndrome or incubus etc does intrigue me, and I don't think it could be totally dismissed because there is so much we can't possibly explain for sure, but it does seem rather unlikely.

Btw, I never sleep on my back, guess that's a good thing !!

Well done RA for such an informative thread......

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:28 AM
    link   
    reply to post by uk today

The " old hag " syndrome or incubus etc does intrigue me, and I don't think it could be totally dismissed because there is so much we can't possibly explain for sure, but it does seem rather unlikely.

EXACTLY!

And i should have maybe made more clear in my opening posts in all honesty that I’m not dismissing everything here as simply sleep paralysis because it's just not.
    Paranormal activity does and will continue to happen to people in my opinion.

Although when it comes to old hag syndrome like you mentioned I’m especially sceptical mainly because the criteria for HSP suits perfectly what old hag syndrome is to be perfectly honest and it not only suits it but it's an actual plausible and scientific explanation for an otherwise paranormal phenomenon.

Or what was seen to be a paranormal phenomenon anyway.

So when it comes to Old Hag syndrome I see no paranormal activity here as HSP explains it well.

Thank's for your post Uk!

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:26 AM
    link   
    Nice posts, OP, as has been said already

Nice 'scientific' explanations

We've been around and around on this very same merry-go-round here on ATS numerous times before (and it gets a lot of play in other fora too)

You'll find many to agree with you. And those who don't. Those who favour the 'scientific/medical' explanations will (if things go as they usually do) attempt to dismiss any explanations other than those you've presented.

And those who feel such explanations do not address their own experience will resist indoctrination by those who feel they have all the answers

I'm in the latter camp. I know what I experienced. I was there. The theorists (theories being no more than opinions anyway) were not. Therefore, I resent anyone presuming to 'tell' me what I experienced

They can 'suggest.' They can preface their claims with 'My theory is ..'. That's fine. But when people presume to claim 'This is the way it is and there can be no other way ' ---- well, I naturally suspect those people of being know-alls or suffering from power and control issues and I don't appreciate their attempting to exercise their need for power and control in my life

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:04 AM
    link   

They can 'suggest.' They can preface their claims with 'My theory is ..'. That's fine. But when people presume to claim 'This is the way it is and there can be no other way ' ---- well, I naturally suspect those people of being know-alls or suffering from power and control issues and I don't appreciate their attempting to exercise their need for power and control in my life

I hope you don't feel that this is what I'm trying to do here because believe me I'm very much an open minded person and I understand that not everything can be explained away and in this instance I'm not trying to say that the explanation I gave for sleep paralysis is the only and plausible explanation for any and all paranormal experiences.

All of this (my opening posts) are my own opinions based on what I believe to be is a plausible and science based explanation that explains my own and hopefully many others experiences, ones that they have been led to believe is something paranormal or alien.

So believe me I do appreciate your post and I'm not trying to claim that this is the only possible explanation because I know its not

But it sure as hell can explain alot for alot of people, there choice whether they want to listen or not.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:18 AM
    link   
    I don't believe anyone touched on this possibility. For people that believe in the Out of Body Experience (OBE or OOBE). Sleep paralysis can be the moment when the astral body is leaving or re-entering the host body.

en.wikipedia.org...

In my experience I have had sleep paralysis on a few occasions., They were always upon returning to the body. The awareness of no connection to the body yet you feel you are residing in it with no control. Then the vibrations as the astral body and host body link.

Anyone else have this experience or believe in this phenomenon?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:25 AM
    link   

I'm leaning towards the notion that sleep paralysis, although seeming very real to the sufferer, could just possibly be a very real nightmare.

The word " mare " comes from the Anglo Saxon meaning " to crush " and the term " nightmare " means the crusher who comes during the night "...

Maybe just a co-incidence but hey, who knows ??

[edit on 30-5-2010 by uk today]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:54 AM
    link   
    reply to post by kbriggss

There is the suggestion that is more likely the explanation for SP! Before I had any SP, when 18, I had OBE that weren't pleasant at all!
    I was under constant attack. ( I talk about it in my intro thread... )

And, when 18, I lived a spiritual experience that I found to be explained by Jesus in the Nag Hammadi ( written as you know a few thousand years ago ), THEN the SP experiences began to happen, but not before I got a visit from the Old Hag, with a cohort...

The position I'm in when it happens is not only on the back, but also on the side.

For me, seeing scientists trying to explain the SP phenomenon is like hearing; " It was not a UFO, it was a reflection of Venus!" ( Which should be a great way to examine planets, no? )

It has to be lived to be understood, and even then...

Great thread by the way, OP, and a nice touch to explora all venues!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:44 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Aresh Troxit

Only once was it a scary feeling. I wasn't even asleep but laying on my stomach on the salon of a big power boat. The motor roaring below the floor beneath me.
    The vibrations felt good and then all of a sudden I was paralyzed with my eyes wide open. I could see but couldn't feel anything including whether or not I was breathing. This seemed to last for minutes and I thought I was going to die from lack of oxygen. Finally without any reason I took a deep breath and the episode was over unnoticed by those persons around me.

I have never felt the presence or a malevolent being during these episodes and generally not much fear but a curious watching.

There is another phenomenon that has occurred with me that would be in the same genera. "exploding head syndrome".
    en.wikipedia.org...

Waking up to the sound of a giant sledge hammer being struck against metal except I felt the force of the blow inside of my head. Very powerful experience, usually waking with the adrenaline racing. This syndrome has many different sounds associated with it like explosions, waves, gusts, horns, Gunshots., There are scientific reasons of course but my belief is this is a return of the astral body too quickly to the host.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by kbriggss]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:58 AM
    link   
    reply to post by kbriggss

I didn't know there was a name for this phenomena and that it was known!

It never freaked me out when it happened, only surprised and wondering what had just "exploded" in my head...

It happens when I'm sitting and I concentrate on something, or when I go to bed. It's so bizarre!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:54 AM
    link   

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:07 PM
    link   

Quite possible if it's in the Hypnopompic stage of Sleep Paralysis as that's when you wake up into it, (something that I've experienced many times) but not if it's the opposite (Hypnogogic) as that occurs when you are awake (again something that I've experienced myself)

IMO anyway but it's very unlikely to be a nightmare.

The word " mare " comes from the Anglo Saxon meaning " to crush " and the term " nightmare " means the crusher who comes during the night "...

Maybe just a co-incidence but hey, who knows ??

I don’t think it's a coincidence but I also don’t agree that it's a nightmare yet again, IMO it's more likely just these people trying to make sense of what was happening to them with a minimal amount of knowledge, which we see all trough out history (which is where SP has occurred)

See this below to see what I mean......

Ancient Western literature also seems to be littered with mythology-enshrouded examples of the hallucinations associated with sleep paralysis, all centred upon a named shape-shifting being of some sort that attacks in the night. One such creature is the Incubus (Latin), described by Kiessling as a half-man half-beast entity which attacked in the night, and whose name gave rise to the word night 'mare'.

Other equivalents for this oppressive chest-crushing creature include 'mar/mare', (German), 'maire' (Old English), 'mara' (Old Norse), 'ephialtes' (Greek), 'muera' (Czech), 'cauchmar' (French), 'pesadilla' (Spanish), 'zmora' (Polish), and 'mar/mor' (Old Irish). Apparently the Europeans had more than one breed of these creatures: in Germany there were also the witch pressers ('hexendrücken') and elves ('alpdruck'); the Greeks called theirs 'pnigalion' (the choker) and 'barychnas' (the heavy breather).
    (Source)

We all have different names and meanings about what HSP is, it's most likely the cause for the existence of vampires, as well as many other mythical legends

It's just all these different cultures trying to make sense of what was happening because at the time there knowledge was very minimal of what was actually happening IMO.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:32 PM
    link   
    Wow ! Great thread !

After reading the whole thing... I would say any thread on topic should be on seen sensors and redirected to this one. Great job !

I've experienced the phenomena myself quite frequently, on my back as well as on my belly. I've never had the idea of a hag sitting on my chest but the sinister presence of something evil lurking in my room felt very real.

After I discovered that a regular sleep pattern could help, I've noticed I only experience SP after I've been of my regular pattern for a while.

I believe that when an easy cure works and prooves itself not working when it is not followed, you can assume that the science that came up with it is correct.

Kind regards

~ SK

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:58 PM
    link   

You're most likely correct in saying SP is unlikely to be a nightmare, I would agree with you on that, but just suppose, and "yes" this is very much "out there", but just suppose that it really is a demonic thing

That the "old hag" really is an evil, demonic force that exists ??
    As you pointed out, every society has experienced this phenomena, albeit under different names, but I just can't dismiss the idea that demons may exist ??

There is so much we don't understand and there are some very convincing
    documented cases of demonic possession that are hard to dismiss. So maybe this incubus really is a demon that manifests itself this particular way??

Ok, so now everyone can tell me I'm crazy !!

And yes, I also believe in David Ickes shape shifting reptiles....

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:03 PM
    link   

Ah, I never said there was no such thing as demonic possession.

I think it does and will continue to happen to various people but I'm just not convinced that All of what people are led to believe is paranormal phenomenon really is in fact 'paranormal phenomenon'.....Such as experiences that can be explained away through SP.

Truth be told It's pretty much up to the agent ('victim') in each instance to decide if it really is SP from what I've explained it to be and from a total honest and unbiased POV. *which can be hard to achieve IMO*

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:34 PM
    link   

Interesting, but there's something else that I need you to explain if you can ?? Because this also mystifies me a little....

After reading your research, it seems that maybe 25-30% of the population have experienced SP at some time, which is a huge amount of people to be fair. So why do all these victims or sufferers visualise virtually the same entity or demon ??
    It does'nt seem to add up ?? Why do they see this " old hag" and nothing else ?? You would surely expect some extreme variations on the force that is crushing them ??

Even with alien abduction and alien encounter experiences, there is plenty of differing visual accounts, but this incubus almost seems to be the same creature in every account

Mmmm, just wondered about this.......

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:42 PM
    link   

Well personally I've never experienced Old Hag Syndrome first hand but as I’ve mentioned in previous posts I have experienced SP quite a lot so in an attempt to answer your question of 'So why do all these victims or sufferers visualise virtually the same entity or demon ?? ' As far as I'm aware (and remember this isn't a fact or anything but a mere opinion) They most certainly don't.

As far as I know people experience different entities or demons or whatever you want to call them, the constant in all of this you must remember is the effect of the HSP which is the 'feeling' of someone sitting on their chest, a sensation of chocking which results in the breathing difficulties, and the sense of being near death and in some people panic symptoms because of all of this.

You know some people experience just shadows, sometimes nothing at all visually but the actual feeling of someone (more often than not, Evil) with them and others experience an entity on top of them.

All are different and all are frightening but it’s the terrifying constants which are a direct result of the HSP that truly are effecting people the most, not the well known Entities that are said to appear and terrorize.

I hope that goes someway in answering your question.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:33 AM
    link   
    As you know I use sleep paralysis as a jump off point when having out of body experiences.

I can hardly remember a time when I thought something like sleep paralysis would be groundbreaking, yet here I am having obe's as it is a normal occurance.

I try to put myself in other peoples shoe's, and imagine not knowing all I have experienced..... and then I realize why the world is such a state it's in.

sleep paralysis can be a mental breakthrough for most people, or a completely horrible experience. Either way, it gives someone a little better point of view, when they wake up and realize they cannot move their arms or legs, the things they've depended on their whole lives.

while most people try to fight off sleep paralysis I reccomend trying to stay in that state as long as possible, and using various techniques to try and spur an OBE.

It's like walking up a ladder, you take one step of reality at a time.

where will it end ???

I'll see you at the top.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join