It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALERT: NASA satellite shows oil 20 miles from Florida Keys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   

ALERT: NASA satellite shows oil 20 miles from Florida Keys

www.youtube.com

On May 27, the first filament from the BP oil spill is seen approaching the Florida coast.

The leading edge is approximately 20 miles west of the Dry Tortugas in the Florida Keys.

Surface currents in the Loop Current travel between 1 and 3 miles per hour, or 25 to 75 miles a day.

Imagery: NASA Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
The Florida Keys are some of the most amazing places on earth. I am glad I got to see the Keys before BP's oil spill hits them.
But I mourn for the losses of the people living there. As I mourn for the many other places and people that have been, and will continue to be, affected by this completely preventable disaster. Affected if not for years, then for DECADES.

www.youtube.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
And still the oil spews, still BP execs remain unarrested, unfined, and safe, and Obama still does nothing. This all sounds about right. I hope the Oil Rain comes soon.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jackietree

I cannot view the video from my workplace, but to hear the inevitable is soo so sad. We visit family in the Keys, and the ft Myers area, the whole of the place is so amazingly beautiful I could spend a lifetime there, we go there to visit family though and relax in the awesome beauty of the Keys. What is next is we are going to hear , like dominoes falling, of shore after shore affected, the scope of what is coming is almost too much to wrap your mind around. It is so much more than a loss of seafood and land. The death of sea life means the death of it's predators in the food chain, that will spiral. It has only taken a little over a month and it is now reaching southern fla, imagine by August, it will be across the ocean finding it's way to other coasts. Ahh God it is such a tragedy!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Oil in ocean + Hurricane + Lightning = EPIC PHAIL

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I can't see anything in that video. Is it me? Is everyone else seeing the oil?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Amazing......One wonders what the Media outrage would be if this was a Republican. Yet it took til day 35! For the Media to get a Clue that this Regime has no clue. Now the Oil is about to hit Florida BP ...what can you say about BP Oh my God. And what the Previous poster said About Water+Hurricane +Lightning+Oil This could go from Disaster to APOCALYPTIC!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
Oil in ocean + Hurricane + Lightning = EPIC PHAIL

I like:

Oil in ocean + hurricane = OILCANE !

brill

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
This is a true tragedy of epic proportions and we sadly must begin to steal ourselves for the worst.

For reasons most likely to do with Climate Change Legislation Initiatives and BP laying claim to this sizable deposit of oil, there really seems to be no legitimate desire to cap this well. It is also highly doubtful that the Government, BP or the Main Stream Media is going to tell us the truth about the spill or the real extent of the environmental impact it is going to have on the ecosystem and human life.

Rather ironic isn’t it, with all the doom and gloom predictions and prophecies that people love to promote on ATS, that no one was able to guess just what the big one would be, and when it was coming.

Danger lurks always where and when you least expect it, and I can only hope that people are beginning to wise up that it is our very own government, regardless of what party is running it, that is the most dangerous thing of all.

Its Urban Beach Week here in Miami, up to a half a million young hip hop music fans, are in Miami for five days to celebrate this annual beach event.

It will be quite interesting to see whether next year there will be an 11th annual Urban Beach Week here, or whether Miami and so many other cities within the clutches of the oil leak will be a lifeless poisoned ghost down littered with dead vegetation and the corpses of the creatures big and small whose lives were snuffed out by these wholly evil machinations.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Can someone please explain to me what you all are seeing in this video?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Can someone please explain to me what you all are seeing in this video?

The waters of the gulf are for the most part translucent even at its deepest portions, even from and especially from space. In other words staring straight down to water is typically transparent enough to pick up the gulf floor.

The very dark almost black areas are huge pools of oil that has gathered together. It is not translucent but an impenetrable blob. In the video presentation of still photos you can see those very dark, almost black areas moving closer to the coast.

For anyone not familiar with the geography of the Florida Keys the Dry Tortugas are the very southern most, very eastern most key. Unlike all the other major keys the Dry Tortugas are not connected to the overseas highway but sit west south west of Key West by about 70 nautical miles, Key West is the southern most island in the chain connected by the Overseas Highway and a series of bridges that carries the highway from one key (island) to the next.

The Dry Tortugas like the name suggest are dry, it hardly ever rains there, and it is a national park, with almost the entire main island of the Dry Tortugas dominated by a Spanish Fort that was later taken over by the Union Army and became a key facility in guarding the gulf in the 19th century. It was also used as the nation’s most secure prison facility in the aftermath of the Civil War with the most high profile confederates being incarcerated there because of its remoteness and near impossible to escape from isolation. It was the first Alcatraz. It’s most famous prisoner was the doctor who set John Wilkes Boothe’s broken leg while he was on the run after assassinating President Lincoln.

So if the Oil Slick is estimated to be 20 miles off the coast of the Dry Tortugas, it is then about 90 miles from Key West and about 90 miles from Cuba too.

Cuba’s tourist beaches are on the north of the Island and will likely be impacted as well. Cuba’s main foreign currency revenue is from tourism, and Florida’s main economy is based on tourism.

So the whole area faces not just a ecological catastrophe of unparalleled proportions but an economic catastrophe as well.

The Dry Tortugas are the two little tiny blue dots at the furthest western point of the Florida Keys Island Chain, as you can see a pretty great distance seperates the Dry Tortugas from Key West.

Above is Fort Jefferson a National Park on the Dry Tortugas.

Further up from the Keys in Miami we can find this Billboard!

Though the truth is there is not much to be smiling about in regards to this one!

[edit on 30/5/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Dry Tortugas probably has oil now and that breaks my heart. I've been there twice, and it's pristine for snorkeling, saw tarpons, parrot fish, hammer.s, and the most beautiful manta ray. I can't afford to go on vacation anymore, and never could afford to go to the Caribbean, this was my wonderful spot. Well, I should be thankful I experienced, and wish most of you will get the chance if it is cleaned up.

Well, the oil is there, north of Marathon, picture proof:

Aerial Florida Keys Pictures

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Thankyou for update on pictures I was wondering what happened to oil and the loop current! Where are University research vessels? Was Florida keys forgotten?

Does anyone know when it's going to start up the Atlantic???

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by brill

I was going to say that hurricanes don't produce lightening, but I did a little research and found that they suddenly started in 2005. That's very interesting.
During the record-setting hurricane season of 2005 three of the most powerful storms--Rita, Katrina, and Emily--did have lightning, lots of it. And researchers would like to know why.

Richard Blakeslee of the Global Hydrology and Climate Center (GHCC) in Huntsville, Alabama, was one of a team of scientists who explored Hurricane Emily using NASA's ER-2 aircraft, a research version of the famous U-2 spy plane. Flying high above the storm, they noted frequent lightning in the cylindrical wall of clouds surrounding the hurricane's eye. Both cloud-to-cloud and cloud-to-ground lightning were present, "a few flashes per minute," says Blakeslee. "Indeed, the electric fields above Emily were among the strongest ever measured by the aircraft’s sensors over any storm. "We observed steady fields in excess of 8 kilovolts per meter," says Blakeslee. "That is huge--comparable to the strongest fields we would expect to find over a large land-based 'mesoscale' thunderstorm."
science.nasa.gov...

Very scary!

top topics

join