It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spitzer's Space (Telescope)Revelations: Best Pics-Amazing stuff!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

The Spitzer Space Telescope is the final in NASA's Great Observatories Program -- a family of four space-based observatories, each observing the universe in a different kind of light.

Dusty Dead Star

A composite image from NASA's Chandra (blue) and Spitzer (green and red-yellow) space telescopes shows the dusty remains of a collapsed star, a supernova remnant called G54.1+0.3. The white source at the center is a dead star called a pulsar, generating a wind of high-energy particles seen by Chandra in blue. The wind expands into the surrounding environment. The infrared shell that surrounds the pulsar wind, seen in red, is made up of gas and dust that condensed out of debris from the supernova explosion.

Galactic Metropolis

A surprisingly large collections of galaxies (red dots) stands out at a remarkably large distance in this composite image combining infrared and visible-light observations. Looking out to this distance, the cluster appears as it was 9.6 billion years ago, only about three billion years after the Big Bang. Astronomers were surprised to find such a "modern" cluster at an era when its peers tended to be much smaller, presumably taking billions of more years to collect enough galaxies to reach such a size.

Multispectral Galaxy

M33, one of our closest galactic neighbors, is about 2.9 million light-years away in the constellation Triangulum, part of what's known as our Local Group of galaxies. This image shows in amazing detail the beautiful and complicated interlacing of the heated dust and young stars. In some regions of M33, dust gathers where there is very little far-ultraviolet light, suggesting that the young stars are obscured or that stars farther away are heating the dust. In some of the outer regions of the galaxy, just the opposite is true: There are plenty of young stars and very little dust.

Pinwheel Galaxy

The tangled arms of the Pinwheel galaxy, otherwise known as Messier 101, are decked out in red in this infrared image from NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope. The Pinwheel galaxy is located 27 million light-years away in the constellation Ursa Major. It is what's called a flocculent spiral, which means that its spiral arms are not well defined.

Crab Nebula

A star's spectacular death in the constellation Taurus was observed on Earth as the supernova of 1054 A.D. Now, almost a thousand years later, a super dense object -- called a neutron star -- left behind by the explosion is seen spewing out a blizzard of high-energy particles into the expanding debris field known as the Crab Nebula.

Source: www.foxnews.com...=1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, the last one shown (Crab Nebula), that just blows my mind that we can document it being observed from Earth-dying and then a 1000 years later we are looking at it from Space and analizing it. I think that is just so freaking cool.

Another positive funciton of the Human Race, to document & study the events that occur in Space. We can't do much, if anything, to stop or control what occurs in Space so we may as well enjoy the ride.

There are some more pics and they tosses in some artist reditions of Star events (great art work but.... I didn't think deserved to be included with the pics). Enjoy.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Wow, that last picture is awesome. Soon as I saw it, I was amazed. Wow, haha seriously, I mean the universe is unbelievable. I wonder what other amazing features are out there.

BTW; Thank you for sharing these pictures with us. I can only imagine what future Telescope Pictures will look like.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Oozii]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Thank you. Yes, the last one is my favorite also.

Make it as big as possible and then put on some magifying glasses and really look at that puppy.

Look dead center.

simple amazing.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Wow!!
The first two are totally new for me.

Thank you! They are AMAZING!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sandri_90

I knew you would appreciate it. That last one really got me. There are so many interesting things in that pic.

And the tie in to 1054AD observation. WOnderful, as the human race, to be able to document and "see" these things.

Have a good one.

new topics

top topics

join