It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposed Bill Would Require IDs for Prepaid Cell Phones

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

We'll have to disagree.

The difference between the two methods of obtaining a prepaid cell phone and a contract for one is the contract itself. With a normal cell phone contract you are obligating yourself to future interaction with the phone carrier. They need to send you bills, hence the need for a legitimate id to execute the contract.

With a prepaid phone the terms of the contract are settled at the time of purchase. The nature of that contract is goods/services for cash without any implied future relationship on a transactional basis between the two partys.

Big difference.

I'm playing poker and lose money to some gent. I can't afford to pay him all of the debt and we agree to a payment schedule. H asks me for information. Phone number, address, etc so that he can collect in the future. OK, I may give it to him. At least he has a reasonable basis to ask me for the information.

I lose the money and pay him in full and he asks me for the same information and I'll tell him to get stabbed.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Realistically, you'll purchase a cell phone, and show your id to complete the purchase.

You'll go quietly about your life and never hear anything else about it.

Meanwhile, in a top secret lab, the government will be tracking you and stealing your DNA and brainwaves from the cell phone.

They do this because you are so important.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

" A name change, moving, and some level of police involvement is more effective than a pre-paid phone. Not to mention that someone whose name isn't on your phone contract, bank account, credit cards, whatever, has no right to the information anyway so whether you have a prepaid phone or one with a contract makes no difference. If their name isn't on it, they have no legal right to the information. And if you're being stalked by a violent spouse your best bet is going to the police, not trying to hide by using a prepaid phone. "

That is really a lame argument .

A name change , moving , etc., is also way more expensive than a pre-paid phone .

Another reason your argument is lame : the government is not on your phone contract , bank account , credit cards , etc ., THEREFORE they have no right to the information either . You just defeated your own argument with that statement .

As far as the police taking care of stalkers and violent spouses , do you REALLY want to go there ? That is the lamest part of your argument ., don't make me post scores of links where the victim was abused or killed after filing protective orders and having the police involved .

FACT : If I have your cellphone number that you have acquired through a provider that required a contract , I CAN take that number and find out WHO you are , WHERE you live (according to address on contract) , and I can also conduct a FULL background check on you .

If you have a pre-paid number , it would be virtually impossible for me to do that .

I am not talking about the government or someone else doing it ., I am talking about being able to do it right here from my own computer .

If you don't believe me , give me your cell number and see what happens .

There are websites that provide these services , for a fee . I happen to be a subscriber to a few of them .

I will tell you all about yourself , with nothing but a cellphone number to go on .

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Exactly , because if I weren't so important to them , then they wouldn't need to know EVERYTHING about me ., including my purchase of a pre-paid phone .

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
The difference between the two methods of obtaining a prepaid cell phone and a contract for one is the contract itself.

I've said that at least three times now. That is the only difference.

Originally posted by okbmd
A name change , moving , etc., is also way more expensive than a pre-paid phone .

Point being what? Being more expensive doesn't lessen it's effectiveness.

Another reason your argument is lame : the government is not on your phone contract , bank account , credit cards , etc ., THEREFORE they have no right to the information either . You just defeated your own argument with that statement .

If you've committed a crime, the police can and frequently do get warrants to find out everything they can about you. If you've committed no crime, legally they can't do that and you having to show your ID to get a prepaid phone isn't going to change that. So no, I didn't defeat my own argument.

As far as the police taking care of stalkers and violent spouses , do you REALLY want to go there ? That is the lamest part of your argument ., don't make me post scores of links where the victim was abused or killed after filing protective orders and having the police involved .

Which has what exactly to do with the topic of this thread? No it doesn't always prevent something from happening. That doesn't make it pointless to go to the police, nor does it make a prepaid phone with no ID shown at purchase to turn it on the solution.

FACT : If I have your cellphone number that you have acquired through a provider that required a contract , I CAN take that number and find out WHO you are , WHERE you live (according to address on contract) , and I can also conduct a FULL background check on you .

You want to complain about violations of privacy and infringements of rights? That right there would be a good place to start. There's no logical reason for that info to be available to just anyone with computer access, but that's a topic for a different thread and I don't want to drag this one off-topic.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
You can see why this paradigm is so dangerous. On each side of a new law taking away a freedom you have those saying "well this is ok because of X" while on another issue they are saying "well its not ok because of Y" and others saying vice versa. Which enables lawmakers to make these laws 'in your best interest.' Whereas we should be saying "well I agree with the law BUT it is taking away another freedom so no it's bad." The fact is, the ONLY way we will ever be completely 'secure' in in a round room with padded walls, in a straight jacket. And then who will be the ones 'taking care' of us? What we need to realize is that bad things are going to happen no matter how many laws are out there. And giving up more freedom for protection doesn't protect you, it only leaves you with less freedom. Hey, if a terrorist wants to make a terror attack do you think he'll attack where you're expecting it? NO!!! That would be the counterpoint of terrorism. The point of terrorism is to instill fear and insecurity so you'll focus your energy inward instead of outward at the true enemy. This is why the war on terrorism will never be one and we are losing it. This is yet just another example. So bring it on, lets give the government our IDs to buy a cell phone and lets register our shoes with the DHS and live like servants to a glorious government who has promised to fight away an enemy that is no more that a concept so we can have a figment of our imagination called security.

<< 1  2   >>

join