It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In your opinion, What arethe most significant Guns of gun History?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I agree that the Colt 1911 is a fantastic wepaon. I inherited one from my grandfather and he had owned it since he came home from wwII. It still shoots every time and doesnt have a bit of rust on it, that of course is due in part to having been taken very good care of. Sig Arms is currently developing a new .45 ACP for the Military an Im anxious to see if it is even comparable to the 1911.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Can't argue with you on that...

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aviator
The Stg-44. Pretty much the father of modern assault rifles.

Excellent choice, the Germans sure know about gun design. If this weapon had been introduced at the beginning of the war, I wonder ......

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
The Maxim, certainly, because it was the weapon of choice for Europeans to colonise Africans and Asians in the 19th century.
The German MG42 as well, because of it's effect on infantry tactics and the fact the U.S. copied it for use in Vietnam.
The winner? The AK47, the gun of choice for angry 12 year old 3rd worlders across the globe.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
AK-47s

the pride of the hord!!!

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Lebel Model 1886 rifle
The first gun to use "small" bore and smokeless powder, it showed the way from ball ammo to modern pattern rifles
Lebel 1886

As for the gun most important for me: Suomi-konepistooli KP/-31

posted on Oct, 4 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Well, on a different slant.

Gavrilo Princip used a FN Model 1910 semi-automatic pistol to assassinate Franz Ferdinand, thus sending the world into the Great War. This war destroyed Britain and France and allowed the US to quietly shift upwards. WW1 gave fuel to the Russian Revolution and set the scene for Adolf Hitler to take power and take the world to the abyss and, well the rest is history!

I suggest that this pistol was the most important / significant weapon historically.

The AK47 has probably killed more unarmed people! It is probably the most significant gun on the continent of Africa where this weapon has contributed immeasurably to the sum of human misery.

Regards

[edit on 4/10/2006 by paraphi]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aviator
The Stg-44. Pretty much the father of modern assault rifles.

I agree with you 100%. Sturmgewahr-44 was the first assault rifle ever made, it is basis for all modern assault rifles. And it was way ahead of its time!

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
Well, on a different slant.

Gavrilo Princip used a FN Model 1910 semi-automatic pistol to assassinate Franz Ferdinand, thus sending the world into the Great War. This war destroyed Britain and France and allowed the US to quietly shift upwards. WW1 gave fuel to the Russian Revolution and set the scene for Adolf Hitler to take power and take the world to the abyss and, well the rest is history!

I suggest that this pistol was the most important / significant weapon historically.

Now, that is a VERY interesting opinion. Pistol wich started series of events, and consequences of these events are still felt today. Yet, I belive that man, not the gun, delivers death.

Nevertheless, you have my WATS for your historical insight!

You have voted paraphi for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
No one has mentioned the 1903 Springfield yet. If you ever have a chance to fire one, do so. It does have a hell of a kick though so be prepared. It had great range and power with its .30-06(or 7.62x63mm) round(this was the variant released in 1906, prior variants used the .30-03 round which saw short service.) Very accurate rifle.

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
No one has mentioned the 1903 Springfield yet. ...

Maybe because the Springfield 1903 is a direct and licensed daughter of the german Mauser K98?

[edit on 5/10/2006 by Lonestar24]

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I am not a weaponry expert myself, but when I think of the most significant guns in history I think of the Thompson m1a1 and 1928. Why haven't I seen them yet?

[edit on 5-10-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
In my opinion the keltec sub-2000 rifle is the most influencial gun in history. My history. it was the first firearm i ever had.

but serisly the detonating gun used in nuclear weapons.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
No one has mentioned the 1903 Springfield yet. If you ever have a chance to fire one, do so. It does have a hell of a kick though so be prepared. It had great range and power with its .30-06(or 7.62x63mm) round(this was the variant released in 1906, prior variants used the .30-03 round which saw short service.) Very accurate rifle.

As I recall the history or perhapsed the pedigree of this weapon...it is an American Adaptation of Paul Mausers action for which America paid royalties to the Mauser company to produce as we were at the time unable to improve on the design or action.

No doubt the 1903 Springfield is a fine weapon. I own two of them along with John Garands masterpiece. I just know it is a variation of Paul Mausers action which has been adapted to alot of caibliers as well as adopted by alot of nations.
As a testament to Paul Mausers design ..it is still going strong among law enforcement and sportsmen over a hundred years later..though updated somewhat with new materials and variations in design it is still the basic Mauser action.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Brown Bess Musket

Colt 1911

Lee Enfield .303

Maxim Machine Gun

M2 .50 Cal

MG42

AK 47

Toss-up between the AK and the Brown Bess for most impact on the world

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Personally I can't wait to see what the Tavor does in the market now that it's being gradually introduced.

Most influential weapon ever: AK-47
Second: AK-47 varieties

M-4's and M-16 family obviously have their punch in the fight, but the AK is older and has a better history.

as for the future, TAVOR ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!

www.defense-update.com...

[edit on 12-10-2006 by jaguarmike]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The M-1 Garand help defeat the Axis powers during WW2.

It remains one of my favorites though I like the M-14 a helluva lot more.

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
-The new rail gun thats making history
-AK-47
-BAR

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This is my list, because just working from memory and some quick goolging, I believe that virtually every extant firearm owes something to these. There are exceptions, but they are few.

Winchester Model 1873
Colt model 1873
The Colt M1911
The 98 Mauser
The M-1 Garand
Browning Hi-Power
Maxim Machine-Gun
Gatling Gun
1836 Colt
U.S. Revolver, Caliber .38, M1889

[edit on 2006/10/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 13 2006 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Uh... guys, whats the name of the first gun that fired a modern bullet round?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join