It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil Rig Disaster Linked to Earthquake and Volcanic Activity ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
There has been allot of finger pointing and conspiracies surrounding this most disastrous oil spill in the gulf . There is no doubt that B.P. cut corners when it came to safety on this rig and probably most of the oil rigs that B.P.operates. What caught my interest is that there is another deepwater oil rig in the North Sea that recently evacuated most of its oil workers while engineers fight to control a huge buildup of pressure in a well www.guardian.co.uk... Identical to what happened prior to the disaster here in the gulf. Coupled with all the volcanic and earthquake activity recently, could it be that what we are witnessing here is a shifting of the Earth's crust ? However minute; could be enough to trigger fissures and buildup of pressure to trigger earthquakes along with the rekindle of dormant volcanoes?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
There was a quake in Missouri today - I think it was on the Madrid fault line. Pretty much straight up from the gulf??

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

I posted a similar hypothesis in another thread about that rig in the North Sea. I think it's operated by a Norwegian company? I guess we'll know something's up when more wells start getting pressure spikes not just the deep ones.

I don't think BP can get this one stop. It sounds like they've fractured the rock around the well casing and that the well they abandoned a few miles away might also be leaking. If they've fractured the rock then stopping the leak won't be possible I don't think. They may be able to slow some of them down and maybe even stop a couple but others won't be stopable.

Hopefully a miracle happens because we need it.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DEEZNUTZ

Makes sense , to much seismic and volcanic activity happening lately for it not to have an affect on deepwater oil drilling.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
could mother earth be seeking justice
after centuries of being raped of her
natural resources??? quite possible.
I suggest we find a replacement for
gasoline rather quickly else we'll all
be walking or riding a bicycle.
What good would oil do us if mother
earth won't stand still long enough
for us to extract it OR cause an eco
disaster.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
www.ynetnews.com...

Fire at oil well in western Iran kills 3 people

There isnt much more info than that it was caused by a gas leak from the drilling site.

bit more here:

www.tehrantimes.com...

The blaze is so massive that the local fire department can not control it, “so we have called for help from neighboring provinces,

things are getting worse?? i dont know, i think its just a watch and wait game...

MM

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
And I just love the "lets nuke it" posters when it comes to this subject. Yea like a nuke 10k ft under the sea floor WONT affect the tectonic plates, or fault zones, that have already been catastrophic levels this past year alone.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
While I'm not fond of the nuclear option, it's either that or just admit defeat and let the oceans be ruined. Not a good option to be found it seems. And we haven't even had the first hurricane of the season yet.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   

wiki.answers.com...The diameter of the earth at the equator is 41851443 feet, or 12,756.32 kilometers or 7,926.41 miles.

The diameter of the earth through the poles is 41717290 feet, or 12,715.43 kilometers, or 7,901.002 miles.

Thus the earth is 134153 feet, or 41 km, or 25 miles wider than it is tall, giving it a slight bulge at the equator. This shape is known as an ellipsoid or more properly, geoid (earth-like ball).

For the sake of argument, I'll use the equatorial number, or half of it to get to the center of the earth, some 20,925,721feeet. Now remember off shore drilling in the case of this accident was approximately 18,000feet into the earth. Do the math and you will find we have drilled 0.086% of the way into the surface with a hole starting at 21inches in diameter.

I find it unlikely that earthquakes could be directly triggered by the drilling itself. Our little holes are insignificant as can be seen by the numbers above.

To put our drilling into perspective, take a 25cm diameter watermelon the equivalent hole would be one tenth of a millimeter deep.

[edit on 30/5/2010 by who-me?]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

One thing you're forgetting is that the Earth's crust is only approx. 40-50 miles thick(200 000 - 350 000'). That's the part we're drilling into and it brings us closer to the 1500C-2000C temperatures of the mantle.

Nice try though!

top topics

join