It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reasons why the oil spill cannot be fixed artificially.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
1. The rate at which the oil is exerted exceeds our clean up capacity.

2. I have no information on the size of the well itself (perhaps they don't want ot tell us), however, I believe that it is large and highly pressured. This pressure will prevent the ability to "cap" it off. This means that we have to wait for the well to decrease in pressure.

3. Even if the pressure eases oil will continue to rise due to the difference in densities. Oil is less dense than salt water. This means that water will flow into the well forcing oil up after the pressure decreases. I think the well must be capped before this happens.

4. The damage already done will not "clean" itself up like the oil spills from earlier in the century. That's because the wetlands (kidneys of all waterways) have been destroyed by contractors and industrial and commercial interests.

5. BP and the government don't give a crap. These guys do not believe in a clean world for future generations. Also, these guys can buy fish at $50/lb while we can't.

6. We don't give enough of a crap. I live in Florida, and believe it or not, no one around me cares about the Gulf which I fished in for over 10 years.

I had this mental scenario where the Gulf is no longer blue and clear when I look from the shore. The fish are gone and the coastal towns are abandoned.

I can imagine it happening, and I'm afraid that it is what will happen.

You know, it hurts to see how all human interventions tend to only destroy nature.

[edit on 5/29/2010 by die_another_day]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Well, it can't be fixed naturally either, right? Unless you just wait the estimated 7 years for the well to dry up, and then another what, 100 years for the gulf to wash itself out?

So, we MUST come up with an artificial solution, we have no choice.

Glad to see you still around and in a better state of mind BTW.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by Signals]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
2. I have no information on the size of the well itself (perhaps they don't want ot tell us), however, I believe that it is large and highly pressured. This pressure will prevent the ability to "cap" it off. This means that we have to wait for the well to decrease in pressure.

No they can't wait for the pressure to decrease.

If the shorter term measures should fail, the relief well should work, I believe it will, based on my personal experience working on offshore drilling rigs in the gulf of Mexico.

The pressure will still be there, but the relief well will get drill pipe far enough into the hole to pump heavy mud deep into the hole where the pressure originates. That will effectively seal the leak, while they put more permanent caps in place. The reason pumping mud in from the top doesn't have as high a chance of success, is that it's difficult to force the mud down into the hole. Once they have drill pipe in the hole, it's easy to force mud deep into the hole.

But that solution may be another 2 months out if they don't stop it before then.

And they do care to the extent it's costing them millions of dollars, you can't deny their corporate greed and that they care about money. They'll be paying for this, not enough perhaps, but it's costing them a lot.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

There are probably plenty of great ideas presented by scientists and inventors to BP. BP simply ignores them.

Chemical dispersents are creating dead zones in oceans and burning the oil isn't fast enough. We've destroyed nature's ability to absorb the oil by destroying wetlands.

What's going to happen?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Here is the solution and it is natural, proven, safe, and will restore the environment! If we can't cap the well then the sooner the better and this could save marine life in the gulf while the leak bleeds itself out if nothing else.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Wow, get this to the White House, are BP scared the bugs would get down the hole and eat their asset, impressive tech I like how it breaks down to marine life food as well.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
So if this is the answer, then WHY did BP use dispersants, when they knew d# well the microbe use, works this effectively. WHY, because BP is hiding the real truth, so it does not hit the news. BP IS NOONES FRIEND. THEY IN IT FOR THE MONEY. Thanks BP for the POLLUTANTS when you know all along about the microbes. SO BP when this happens again, be sure to add a bunch of pollutants like dispersants. OK, BP. TO HIDE, as usual again. Someone should shut you down, now. GREEDY people care nothing of the environment. RIGHT BP?

[edit on 30-5-2010 by nite owl]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I have some of this at home, a Finnish company makes it. Its called Bio-Braut and is extremely effective at disolving all kinds of oil, fat and grease...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
Here is the solution and it is natural, proven, safe, and will restore the environment! If we can't cap the well then the sooner the better and this could save marine life in the gulf while the leak bleeds itself out if nothing else.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by hawkiye]

Has there been any more talk in the US of this method and its viability?

The "plumes" reported might be some form of chemical corral for the oil and they intend to suck it up so don't want it eaten by microbes.

new topics

top topics

join