It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Much Oil Remains Under the Gulf?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I posted this first as a question, then i found the answer in an article posted today so i thought i'd stick it here for anyone who didn't know how much oil is left under the spill.

I wanted to know if there was a certain amount of oil under the bed there, or would it flow continuously if left uncapped....

Tens of millions of gallons of oil have leaked into the Gulf of Mexico, but that's only about 1 to 1.5 percent of what sits in the reservoir deep beneath the ocean floor, according to calculations based on government and BP estimates.

How Much Oil Remains Under the Gulf?

Quite a sad answer really....lets hope they cap it soon.

CX.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
It's crazy that I have only searched this question now. I'm in South Africa and I can tell you I'm not the only one here concerned and wanting to do something about it. People over here are starting to choose other service stations over BP... you can see the tumbleweeds a-rollin'. everyone you talk to about the Gulf generally shake their heads in worry and sadness... although most don't have the vital info on this incident to actually be fearfull of the situation, the main consensus is that everthing will be fine, mommy and daddy will clean it up later.

after all is said and done, I can only hold on to my will, that this IS the true wake up call, the SLAP in the face, kick up the arly, that we need in this 'modern' quick-fix society. how can we not want change for the better when our world is literally splitting at the seams, if you can't see it, FEEL it, then I can only hope that your plan is the better one... "honey, what timez Amercan Gladiatr on?"
link

Gallons of water in the Gulf: 660,000,000,000,000,000
Gallons of oil in the reservoir: ------------2,100,000,000
(the first figure is from wikiGulf of Mexico, the second figure is probably not so accurate: need to find a better source. I used the assumption from my first link, 50million barrels x 42gallons per barrel.)

Okay, I know it's just not the same but if we assume that one gallon of motor oil pollutes 1,000,000 gallons of water it would take 660,000,000,000gallons of oil to seal the deal.
terrible source, but hey...

PS please excuse my inexcusable use, or misuse, of math. If you have better figures post 'em up.

join