It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the US the World's Village Idiot ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by strangleholder1

You're not coping too well with the challenge of defending the US against its very poor reputation, are you ?

It's personal for you. So you'd probably be best advised to detach in order to free your mind for debate. Otherwise, you won't be able to contribute much, apart from empty tub-thumping

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Hollywood is a good analogy to me:

It offers the best and the worst of film. The latter is the heavier end of the scale.

Shame really...

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

These figures suggest a paradox in the Muslim world. It's not America's enemies who hate the United States most, it's people in countries that are supposed to be America's friends, if not allies.

Back in 1999, 83 per cent of British people surveyed by the State Department Office of Research said that they had a favourable opinion of the United States. But by 2006, according to the Pew Global Attitudes Project, that proportion had fallen to 56 per cent. British respondents to the Pew surveys now give higher favourability ratings to Germany (75 per cent) and Japan (69 per cent) than to the United States - a remarkable transformation in attitudes, given the notorious British tendency to look back both nostalgically and unforgivingly to the Second World War. It's also very striking that Britons recently polled by Pew regard the US presence in Iraq as a bigger threat to world peace than Iran or North Korea (a view which is shared by respondents in France, Spain, Russia, India, China and throughout the Middle East

Hatred of America unites the world

Having been to America a few times my experience has been they are a nice people personanlly, but their worldview and patriotism leaves alot to be desired.

What I find worse about America more than anything is the way the citizens defend their country and carry on with this patriotic nonsense and arrogent superiority literally as though theyve been brainwashed by propoganda from a very young age. I say this because it seems you have to have lived almost your whole life in America, been brought up there, or never been overseas, to not understand the reasons why the majority of the rest of the world dislikes America. It seems most Americans are blind to the true reasons of their low popularity. IMHO they could learn a bit from their wise neighour Canada, the people I met there were awake alright.

Top ten reasons people hate America

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 29-5-2010 by polarwarrior]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
i dk, i think there are geenrally nice people wherever you go, americans however, as i am one of them, are a egotistical lot, full of arrogance and self-assurance that they are the best of the best. cream of the crop. most of it stems from the redneck and hip-hop cultures here. they breed intolerance and hate. but yeah i mean america makes mistakes like all countries cept when we make one, becasue we are the pre-eminant empire of the world today, its usually a big deal and affects more than just americans... so is america the village idiot? yes but the idiot also happens to be the king.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
reply to post by strangleholder1

You're not coping too well with the challenge of defending the US against its very poor reputation, are you ?

It's personal for you. So you'd probably be best advised to detach in order to free your mind for debate. Otherwise, you won't be able to contribute much, apart from empty tub-thumping

LOL! So far you have wrongly accused The US for BPs oil spill THEN you go on to change the subject whenever I debunk any weak counter argument you provide AND THEN! you accuse me of tub-thumping ROTFLMAO! You are very bad at making threads. You have NO evidence to back up any of your claims also you are very poor at defending your position. Start making some sense please.....

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Oh great yet another hate America thread, interestingly as always, the folks with the most hatred of America rarely state what Nation they are from as per usual.

If you are in America and hate it that much why arent you on the first, boat, plane, bus or train out of America.

At least if your going to blame America for all the worlds ills have the courage to state what nation you are from , otherwise STFU..

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
Oh great yet another hate America thread, interestingly as always, the folks with the most hatred of America rarely state what Nation they are from as per usual.

If you are in America and hate it that much why arent you on the first, boat, plane, bus or train out of America.

At least if your going to blame America for all the worlds ills have the courage to state what nation you are from , otherwise STFU..

This dude is RIGHT! I'm sick of all the badly written "Hate America" threads too. Your wording when you write gives you away more than you know....As i said in my first reply this is just another propaganda thread...No more for me, I'm off...

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

"Check with ATS!"

Is that the best you can freakin' do? Hmmmm....well, here on ATS, which is according to you the end-all, be-all of sources, I read a post from a rocket scientist that thought he could dodge bullets from an automatic weapon, and someone that thinks "Lord of the Rings" is real.

(OK, I lied about that LOTR comment! )

[edit on 29-5-2010 by signal2noise]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
Hollywood is a good analogy to me:

It offers the best and the worst of film. The latter is the heavier end of the scale.

Shame really...

I agree. But its hard to appreciate the good side like entertainment, when the bad side is things such as mass slaughter, for example hiroshima i'll never forget walking around ground zero there, and it seems no amount of favours will make the Japanese forget either.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Maybe next you can go walk around Nanking, or the Phillipines and see the results of Japanese handiwork there, and I doubt many Chinese , Phillipinos, Americans, Australians and other folks under East Asian Co Prosperity Sphere will forget what the Japanese did either.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Hi

I'm from a little country in Europe called Portugal... (pardon me for my English)
And i have to tell you...I LOVE AMERICA!
it's an unbelievable country...they give us hope and joy and all of this cultural edges that just makes us feel alive and makes believe in our selfs...cinema, technology, extreme and different points of view, from every corner of the society...makes us go forward as a race...
But...
The major corporations that rule the world are from USA, the dumbing down of society is clearly seen in all the major entertainment USA exports, your youth idols, your marketing, your media etc...just look at your society...and for us Europeans that in a larger scale have a lot more general culture than American citizens have, (i wonder why) we just cant understand how patriotism can make people be dumb enough to go to war and kill innocent human beings...ask yourselves...why all around the world everyone that is a little bit smart and have critical thinking hates the actions of your country? USA is destroying the world...And the only ones that can start the change is you...You, American citizen...Please, Stop the war...(so many wars USA as been involved and created) STOP THE WAR / STOP THE WAR !!!!!!!!
STOP the capitalism nonsense...there are people starving you know???? STOP the fluctuations in economy...STOP making political heists all over the world in small countries from whom you need something......
USA is destroying the world...
But you're the cancer and cure at the same time...you have the power in your hands...but you are all living in an illusion of patriotism...but above patriotism there will always be Humanism...think about that...
The answer is in the people...wake up...
American citizen, take your country back...
For the sake of the world...
And do really think that USA have the best way/quality of life?
You must be joking right? Just travel around the world and see...

Best wishes for everyone...

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I find it very sad that many countries around the world don't have as much pride in their own countries as Americans do.

Actually, I've lived in 37 countries over the years and find that most people have a lot of pride in their country. So what is the problem with Americans showing some pride? Americans do have a bit of a chip on their shoulders. Why would that be? My educated guess is that the world laps up every bit of Americanism they can get. Go to the middle east and their selling blue jeans at the American-style mall. Go to the middle of Africa and there will be someone wearing a Duke University T-shirt or a baseball cap with a Coca-Cola logo on it. Take a taxi in a rural part of Thailand and they'll be blaring American music on the radio. I know because I've seen all of this and more.

Of course Americans are proud. In 200 years a humble nation has a superpower, spreading culture and influence to every corner of the globe. What's wrong with being proud of that?

I think it's time for people all around the world to brag more loudly about their own nations.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

Although we havnt forgotten the Japanese actions, we have forgiven, because of the way Japan retreated into one of the most peacefull countries on the face of the planet for the latter half of the century. Perhaps America will be forgiven when they too choose to keep their troops on their own soil for once, and take a lesson from the Japs and actually learn fron the horrors of history rather than constantly repeating the mistake.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Japan is one of the most racist and xenophobic countries in the world still, the only reason it is peaceful is because of terms imposed on it after WW II, Thier people arent even told today the horrors that they visited on the pacific during WW II.

Troops all over the world mostly through treaty obligation, which many Americans myself included would much prefer we didnt have because outside of the Anglosphere no other nation ever honors its treaties with America.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by bagari

I dont like the concept of country, so I wont be bragging about the superiority of mine any time soon. We're one race, the human race. We all share the same planet, Earth. Divide an conquer need not turn us against each other any longer, we should oppose these hypothetical man-made invisible border lines and unite. We should unite against the real enemy, TPTB rather than falling for their age old tricks of turning us aginst each other.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by InSoul

I am still trying to find out what "Culture" the rest of the world have that Americans do not.

Most of the Megacorporations and Super Banks in the world are not American owned and most of the American Megacorporations and Super Banks have significant foreign ownership.

Everyone always screams for America to stop the wars, why dont folks scram for the Taliban, the Iraqi insurgents, the North Koreans, The Serbians, The Croats, or the Iranians to stop, all blame gets laid at our doorstep but never any responsibility for the other side.

Takes at least 2 to fight...

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow

the only reason it is peaceful is because of terms imposed on it after WW II

You might wanna google the violence rates like homocide in Japan compared to America for example, the people themselves are peacefull and deeply opposed to violence, It is normal for kids as young as five to walk through the middle of the City alone at night, their parents know they will be safe.

What are you citing for them being racist? my experience there has been of no more rascism than any other country, less than Australia for sure.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by bagari

I find it very sad that many countries around the world don't have as much pride in their own countries as Americans do.

Actually, I've lived in 37 countries over the years and find that most people have a lot of pride in their country. So what is the problem with Americans showing some pride? Americans do have a bit of a chip on their shoulders. Why would that be? My educated guess is that the world laps up every bit of Americanism they can get. Go to the middle east and their selling blue jeans at the American-style mall. Go to the middle of Africa and there will be someone wearing a Duke University T-shirt or a baseball cap with a Coca-Cola logo on it. Take a taxi in a rural part of Thailand and they'll be blaring American music on the radio. I know because I've seen all of this and more.

Of course Americans are proud. In 200 years a humble nation has a superpower, spreading culture and influence to every corner of the globe. What's wrong with being proud of that?

I think it's time for people all around the world to brag more loudly about their own nations.

Hey im from Ireland and I never shut up about this place, i spent some time travelling in my early 20's, lived in America for several months also spent time living in Canada and Belgium, visited other countries like the Netherlands, Spain etc so I think its pretty fair to say that I have experienced some other cultures, and i still want to experience more.

I take pride in my Country, we are not very big, not very powerful, not known well for anything really other than our ability to drink like vikings, but I cherish this land, the beauty of it ( i have yet to see a more stunning countryside) the people, our culture, our additude towards eachother, our spirit, our humour and our perseverance,

and I know that regardless of lack of weapons and arms that an Irishman or woman would fight to the death for what they believe in, and would probably win too.

I have immense pride in my country and its people.

I like this saying - 'God invented alcohol so the Irish wouldnt take over the world'

You dont need to ask me twice to brag about my nation

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
I like this saying - 'God invented alcohol so the Irish wouldnt take over the world'

How about this one:

"Thank God for the English and their settling of America..

...and for the Irish, Scots and Welsh for stealing it from them."

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join