It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
BP said Saturday that its "top kill" bid to plug the worst oil spill in U.S. history wasn't working and that it would try another approach next.
"We now believe it's time to move on," BP PLC chief operating officer Doug Suttles told reporters.
A live feed of the leak showed preparations Saturday for BP's next step. An underwater robot gripped a saw near the bent and leaking pipe, or riser, atop a failed blowout preventer. BP aims to slice off the pipe and place a cap and seal over the opening. The idea is to connect that to a new riser from the drillship above, with the hopes of capturing oil and natural gas.
That operation is known as the lower marine riser package, and Suttles confirmed that BP had been preparing for that step "all along."
Originally posted by webpirate
However, I still stick by what I said the other day HERE.
BP is trying to convince us they can do something with the smaller leak from the pipe and not the big leak from the main wellhead. Which they so conveniently weren't showing us before they started the Top Kill.
Smaller Pipe leak:
I can maybe see screwing something onto the smaller pipe.
I don't see it happening on the other bigger leak.
[edit on 29-5-2010 by webpirate]