It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When the Wind blows..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I was lead to this odd little gem totally by accident. The story follows the life of the Bloggses.

One afternoon the couple hears a message on the radio about an "outbreak of hostilities" in three day's time.

Jim being the staunch British gentleman immediately starts construction of a fallout shelter, while the two reminisce about the Second World War.

The Bloggses soon hear of enemy missiles heading towards England, and the story unfolds.

I invite you to whatch the videos provided on youtube.

Part 1 below.

www.youtube.com...

I find it very disturbing about the part with the paper bag's. And i think it should be shown to the masses.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 29-5-2010 by h3akalee]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
When the Wind Blows is one of the best films related to the topic of war and more specificaly atomic warfare.

The disturbing decline in health of the two characters, and their desire to "survive" left me feeling deeply saddened at the mere thought of atomic exchanges ever taking place.

The very idea that a long, slow and painful death for any survivors of such a war should, I hope, be more than enough to prevent there ever being a detonation of a nuclear device - at least no more than there have been so far.

It's a great film, and well worth a watch, regardless of age.

What really appeals to me most about the film, is that it was aimed at older children, as a way of teaching them that war is wrong, and that there are better ways to resolve conflict than guns, and bombs.

Let's all hope that we realise this soon.

Peace.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
It is a very clever and sad animation, depending on how you take it.

I found it very heart wrenching with the flashbacks.

It made me want to go hug my girlfriend and children and hold them very close.

Regards
Lee

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
umm ooops wrong thread .. too many windows open sorry

ps .. i will watch as soon a i can

[edit on 29/5/10 by Whateva69]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I have that on VHS from many years ago. It's something that has always stayed with me because for an animated piece it had such a powerful message. I only watched it twice though, because it was just so sad - I loved that old British couple. One of the high points though was the sound track. I believe it was done by Genesis. Their warm melancholy sound was a perfect match for the style of the animation. Go Tony Banks!

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Loved that movie. I too have an old VHS copy of it. Haven't watched it in years. I think my favourite part was before the bombs fall and the Grandfather is talking to his son, the hippy!, in London. His son is singing protest sons to him along the line of "whoopee we're all gunna die!". good times for all. It is a weird use of comedy to increase the sense of isolation later.

Especially what with the soundtrack done by Roger Waters and David Bowie.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
wow that was sad, i cried and sobbed and cried some more

It reminds me of a book called Children of The Dust. I cried reading that one too.
Thank you for showing me this wonderful little film

edit to add URL

[edit on 30/5/10 by Whateva69]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Do you think this is what they were refering to about the paper bags ?
Nuclear War Survival Skills

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

In my opinion the use for the paper bags was as some sort of makeshift body bag.

Remember also that during the animation it says in the leaflet you should climb into your paper bags close to your medical and indentity records.

Very Macabre as toward the end of the film when they are about to die they both climb into the potatoe sacks.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by h3akalee

OMG you are so right ... i am so nieve sometimes

Thats is so sad
now i'll just sit here in shock

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69
Do you think this is what they were refering to about the paper bags ?
Nuclear War Survival Skills

Yeah, that looks a like what they were on about. And if i am not mistaken this is likely the very same pamphlet that was used in the film, or at least was the influence for the one in the film.

The entire 1980's media nuclear 'panic', for lack of a better word, is in some ways very reminiscent of the late 50's mid 60's existential threat of daily annihilation. Even tho it seemed like, in the 80's, the UK was gripped in the heart of the nuclear fears, especially seeing as they would potentially be caught in the cross fire of a NATO/Warsaw Pact missile fest.

I found this article that seems to capture the mood of the Nuclear Question on Television in the UK from in the 80's. While the Article itself isn't from 80's it looks back at the presentation of the situation from then. In some ways it is an apropos look back.
Let's All Hide in the Linen Cupboard

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by And Why

OMG so they expected you to clean up ( dust pan and broom) as well as placing yourself in a body bag next to your ID.

It's just crazy

I wonder what the pamphlets say in them now... they probably come with suicide pills, If you do survive your off spring won’t be a burden to the government.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Oh my god I LOVE this film.

I first saw it when I was like 7. and it scared the crap out of me (as it should)

I remarked on this sometime ago, that this, instead of being archived shuld be shown in schools as a reminder of the destructive power of nuclear weapons.

it just seems to me, as one of those who grew up in the height of the cold war, where the constant threat of annihilation was eeverywhere, thats this has just been forgotten

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I think maybe they should remake when the wind blows knowing what they know now. Maybe it could help a future generation get there heads around what they are inheriting from us. To be honest it scared the beegeebee's out of me as a child and deffinatly affected me and how i thought about an atomic/nuclear war and the aftermath should i survive.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

The main things that got me, as it is so reminiscent of British people of that vintage, is that they had such FAITH in TPTB, (the even mention it) to save themm that they were quite content to sit there and die, sure in the knowledge that life would continue soon enough. The confusion at why the milkman had now come or that they could not just pop down the shops is heart breaking. but still they had faith that the powers that be would come to save them

The line where Jim says,

"Ours is not to reason why, ducks, Our is just to do do or..... oh I've forgotten it" mental.

Apprantly the author did write this with his own parents in mind!

The montage of when they were younger just as the blast hits. gets me every time.

Like a lot of others it make me cry everytime. and i am a grown man!! so much truth in there, it is surreal

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by chaztekno

it is available on DVD

buy it and show it to your kids!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by And Why

When the Berlin Wall came down I was around 11 or 12

I CANNOT describe the feeling I had seeing that live on the BBC.

At was at that point that I felt that the world had become sane, and that everything was going to be fine from now on.

Of course world peace is not good for business.

How sad, that we had to fall for another arch evil enemy.

Thanks for the fear USA. I was looking forward to living in peace!

from 17 minutes to 6 minutes to midnight. Excellent! well done and thanks you!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dampnickers

Let's all hope that we realize this soon.

Peace.

This will never happen as long as man continues to believe in different religions. One religion automatically condemns the other to eternal death.

How can people ever get along when their taught from birth that there religion is the only truth and everyone else is "evil" or a "sinner" or "infidel".

When your entire survival in the after life depends on everyone else being wrong, then you have a situation where your survival instincts and your taught intellect conflict in such a way to literally despise those "others" who if they are right mean your condemned.

Can you ever really be at peace when someone else existence threatens your survival?

It is a mental illness that pervades society. We may as well be burning witches at the stake. It is the same thing.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Oh man, i hadnt seen that since i was young, i can remember the impact it had on me.

Im not sure if anyone remembers it but there was another great documentary/mockumentary about a fictional nuclear attack on Sheffield.

It was called Threads and it scared the bejesus out of me when i first saw it as a kid.

I found it on Google Vids if you would like to watch..

Link To Video

Sorry, couldnt get the video to embed so i have included the link

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Skeptic4Sale]

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Skeptic4Sale]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

I just noticed something.\\One of the last lines of the film when they are in the bags.

"The Government will know what to do with us, The Powers that be will get to us in the end"

So prophetic and ironic.

True as it was then as it is today!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join