It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP admits: Top Kill not working

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

We are a fossil fuel based economy this is true; this oil spill may be a warning not to rely on it. I find this very symbolic in a way; the thing that we depend on; may become our downfall in the end.
I am ready for things to change. I am not sure what to do but I speak my mind as often as I can!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by unruly1
BP Involved again in another 5000 barrel spill in Alaska

www.marketwatch.com...
"Spilled into a containement area" it sounds like the oil was contained as it spilled. No harm done.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Thank you for that info, Peace to you 2.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vaski
I don't see why Americans haven't rioted as of yet, It seems like the country that is so willing for their citizens to keep their guns to protect their rights of freedom from an over-ruling government, invaders or in this case large organizations are just simply standing by doing nothing.

I believe that if this had occurred in Europe people will be on the street rioting, look at Greece reaction to tax increases.

Seems like as much as most people on this site would like to claim that Americans will protect their freedoms and country at all costs, it seems like most of the population simply don't care and at worse case don't know..

Ah yes grasshopper, you are correct in you statement, but for years there are those of us who have been watching and recruiting and slowly pulling at the strings of the biggest monster in the world and as we pull the string has begin to unravel only this time it will not be the north against the south, this time it will be freedom loving Americans against the monsters that wish to rule the world,, and there is nothing more deadly than a pissed off freedom loving American, therefore a lesson to the outsiders,, stay out of this one, or may your God have mercy on you. Cause believe me we will not.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
What is that ROV doing right now?
globalwarming.house.gov...
It looks like it's taking something apart.

EDIT: err, actually it looks like it stopped. It might start again though.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by shmuu]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
OK they're doing stuff again.
globalwarming.house.gov...

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne
reply to post by avatar01

Can you guarantee "nuking" is going to stop the flow of oil without causing huge earthquake(s), a major tsunami or the total collapse of the seabed?

Yes.

How can a seabed "collapse" ? Is there a precedent for this? Why do you think the seabed would collapse? Because there is a tiny hole drilled into it? Do you somehow get the idea that there is a large empty cavern where the oil used to be? If that were the case, there would be no oil pressure, and no oil spewing from the hole.

Nuking the hole with a small tactical nuke would fuse the hole shut if set up properly. It might cause a wave, but not a tsunami.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
What about the radioactive material? Where would that go? I doubt it would just stay put. If it is only 1 mile from sea level than wouldn['t a nuclear bmb be devastating for miles around?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

The little bit of material that didn't fission fully would float off somewhere. Who knows, maybe it'll come to rest next to some of the rest of the billions of pounds of naturally occurring radioactive material on this planet.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by avatar01

I'm no expert, but as far as I know all operational wells pump water back into the "cavern". It's not one big dome shaped cavern, more like millions of micro caverns. The oil sits in between layers of sand and rock. The missing oil definitely changes stability of that environment.

edit for clarity

[edit on 30-5-2010 by AllIsOne]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Our nation is resilient. We can overcome this but we need to get BP off the site ASAP and force them to stand down. Just leave their resources and their checkbook. Be sure to take their "best and brightest." They've had 40 days to resolve this. GAME OVER.

I am inspired by the words of two great American patriots:

"We need men who can dream of things that never were".-JFK

"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. And man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings."-JFK

"Some men see things as they are and say why. I dream things that never were and say why not." - RFK

BP is playing the PR stretch game and stalling until they get the "relief wells" going. They just want to tap this thing. Period.

Sure there might be some risk with alternate methods but drastic times call for drastic measures. Not at nuke stage but would consider conventional munition/shaped charge.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
The Bottom Line here is that this leak could have been stopped by now. Conventional explosives could have been used, techniques that have been successfully used to seal these kind of leaks over the past 100 years. But BP continues to try every long-shot in the book, all of this while drilling 2 new relief wells.

If BP would have used explosives at the start of this disaster, the leak, in all probability, would have been contained. But then they surely would have been denied the opportunity to drill new wells at the site.

All BP cares about is oil and money. The people be damned. The environment is expendable as long as all of those Big Oil Dollars continue to flow to BP and its political lobbying machine.

Examine the history of the past use of conventional explosives in these situations, then follow the money, and understand their lies.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by MY2Commoncentsworth]

video.foxnews.com...

[edit on 30-5-2010 by MY2Commoncentsworth]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

It is such a shame to witness a society so driven by fossil fuels and greed (not a good mixture) that they are willing to destroy their own planet.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Couldn't agree with you more. Somebody once said JFK was the last American president.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MY2Commoncentsworth

Yep! If this mission is really led by the best & brightest we are doomed ...

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Why are BP and the government not giving us two crucial pieces of data? I want to know:

- amount of gas and oil spewing out

- exact psi of the gusher

I don't want estimates!

They've been withholding this information for 40 days now. We have a right to know what's going on! This is the most basic info why not release it? They had plenty of time to study the data while trying to make the Top Kill procedure work.

I'm so disappointed in the "transparent" Obama administration. I see no leadership from the guy who I voted into office

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne
reply to post by muse7

They're working on 2 relief wells. They will be operational in August!

I hope I'm wrong, but this could be an extinction event ... I don't think they even have any computer models to analyze the impact.

August?

Surely they will run out of that chemical before then if it doesn't stop or get fixed sooner. Then, we'll maybe see the real extent of the damage.

Wow, though, that's very shocking news. You might have thought that they would have said July instead then just extended, considering how much they hid things before.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by avatar01
They should have just nuked it in the first place.

Why do you suggest using a nuclear weapon? It seems to me a few sticks of dynamite, exploding 10,000 feet into the well, would seal it off. They could do that in a few hours. Simple!

I fear that the reason they aren't going to do this is because it would ruin their costly little enterprise. I fear that BP still is hoping to salvage the oil and sell it for big bucks. They don't want to damage the well. Forget everyone else!

Correct me if I am wrong. I don't want to be cynical. But that's what it looks like to me.

Edit to Add...

Originally posted by MY2Commoncentsworth
If BP would have used explosives at the start of this disaster, the leak, in all probability, would have been contained. But then they surely would have been denied the opportunity to drill new wells at the site. All BP cares about is oil and money. The people be damned.

Okay, My2 -- I didn't see this. We are on the exact same page, I guess.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Axial Leader]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Axial Leader

That's just one of a million wells. I highly doubt BP would prolong this to try to salvage the well. The longer this goes on the more legislation they'll see on the books that makes their jobs much less lucrative. That's like trying to save your contact lens by diving into a tank of underfed piranhas. Yeah, it cost you some money, but it's just a drop in the bucket compared to the medical bills you'll be facing.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

It's coming out at a rate much more (volume) than it does when they use a rig to extract it. So there is a lot more oil reaching the surface than if someone had "snipped the pipe" at the top with a resulting oil geyser at the surface or even halfway. I have no idea how much more oil it amounts to.

Google had a website that you could have used to submit your idea on how to fix the oil leak, but I just read that it closed for suggestions two days ago.

Google Crisis Center

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join