It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a corporation trademark a common Irish surname?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Holy crap, this story is ridiculous!

McDonalds is taking some poor girl to court for trademark infringement because her family sponsors an annual fundraisers for the Chicago chapter of the Special Olympics. The family name is McClusky so they named the fundraiser McFest.

McDonald's attacks teen named "McClusky" over trademark infringement

(NaturalNews) McDonald's has initiated a legal battle against 19-year-old Lauren McClusky over her attempt to trademark the name of a charity festival.

McClusky, whose father is radio promoter Jeff McClusky, has held three annual fundraisers for the Chicago chapter of the Special Olympics. The first year, she co-organized the festival with a person whose name also began with the prefix Mc, so they dubbed it McFest.

After the third year, McClusky filed to make McFest into a registered trademark. McDonald's responded by filing against the request. At first, McClusky said, she was "kind of honored" that McDonald's had even noticed her event.

"But when we realized how serious it was, then it just got ridiculous and offensive," she said. "They just wouldn't listen."

McDonald's trademarks include McPen, McBuddy, McBurger, McDouble, McFree, McJobs, McLight, McPool, McProduct, McRuler, McShades, McShirt, McWatch and the prefix "Mc."

Read more: Natural News
Wallet Pop

Can you believe this crap?

This fat food giant has grown so big and arrogant it now believes that every Irish person in the world with an "Mc" surname needs it's permission in order to use their own name. Being a "Mc" myself, I find this hugely offencive.

I can see how it's legitimate to trademark the name McDonalds but these tyrants want to control the use of "Mc" in any way, shape or form. There are millions of people in the world with an "Mc" surname. I think it's just plain wrong that one mega-corporation is trying to exclude these people from using their own last names in any type of commercial venture. The second source said the girl being sued was afraid to use her own last name in the story for fear of legal reprisal.

I wonder if there's some Irish civil rights group out there that can take on this girl's cause and tell McDonalds that they cannot trademark a common Irish surname.

[edit on 5/29/10 by FortAnthem]
there may be here. its a irish news site
irishecho.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Since McDonalds are also sponsoring the Olympics I think they might have a case.

<< 1  2   >>

join