It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan landslide engulfs villages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

A landslide triggered by torrential rains in northern Pakistan has created a massive artificial lake in the Hunza valley, inundating several villages.

Thousands of people are stranded in the highly mountainous region and forced to use boats to get around on icy waters.

The landslide has also blocked the only road between Pakistan and China - disrupting a vital trade link between the two countries that brings in almost half a billion dollars each year.

Source

I pray you excuse me if this has already been reported on ATS. but as far as I can see it has not. I am not quite sure how a landslide of such staggering proportions can have been missed apparently by ATSers and the MSM, other than the fact that it is in a remote area of Pakistan.

A natural landslide that creates a lake 200ft deep and 12 kilometers long is no small landslide.

Villages have been turned into islands, and unless the Pakistan army can (has?) create(d) an outlet then the spring melt will have compounded the issue.

This report was dated March 13th, 2010.

Some more recent information

Relating to above

According to the experts, the water level in the lake has risen, which may lead to a breach in the dam.

And news right up to date

And one more

The azure-blue lake — fed by melting glaciers and rainfall, and now more than 12 miles long and some 360 feet deep — already has swallowed a number of villages. Thirty-six more villages that are in its path downstream have been evacuated, and more than 16,000 people have been moved to higher ground and put into temporary camps or have found shelter with friends and family.
Source is link below.

Read more

[edit on 29/5/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Holy cats! That's huge!

It really makes you wonder, between landslides, volcanos, earthquakes, continent subduction, glacier ice, etc. how much previously occupied (maybe even to our level of tech or later) land on our planet might now be invisible or unknown to us. I mean that even in today's world, it's that easy to just wipe out that much territory that fast with a 'landslide'. Geez. Thanks for posting, that's very interesting.

RC

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RedCairo

Your comment (thanks) really struck a chord and is a fascinating subject all on it's own.

There is probably a huge amount that has vanished and which we will never know anything about. It is quite likely that this may include civilisation as advanced as ours.(If we can call ours advanced!)

join