It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone give me some insight on The Lhermitte phenomenon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Im not 100% sure if this is what my case is but,

I've had, what feels like, this shock of electricity coming from my neck, down the middle of my spine.

It'll happen if im laying down to watch Tv and not moving my neck. And when this does happen its maybe once or twice a month. But I feel like sorta numbness/paralyzation for a split second.

I've had neck problems since I was younger. Starting around 13 with neck discomfort. Im 21 years old, Never been in a car accident, or had any serious injurys around the head/back/neck area.

What im looking for is someone, anyone, that possibly had the same sensations i've felt, or even been diagnosed with this "Lhermitte Phenomenon".

I already have an appointment with a doctor for tuesday. So I got some time to look this up a bit, but if anyone has any first hand experience with neck pain and discomfort and can share any information I will be very grateful.

Thanks.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
never heard of it. Here's something to consider: What are you laying on ?

Is the couch cushion or bed your laying on capable of accumulating a static charge ?

Is the Bed coils your laying on capable of accumulating a charge from Radio (RF) or unshielded wires in house (EMF) ?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Nerve damage feels like what you are describing.

There are many, many ways to impinge on delicate nerves. Have you consulted someone about this possibility?

I hope you find an answer, a doctor that takes you seriously, and, most importantly, relief!

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zzombie

When it happens while im laying down its on my bed. But its happened aswell sitting down on lawn chair.

Its possible about what you mentioned, but while I was looking this up, many other people have had the same feeling, they just dont go into much detail about it.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Do your finger and toes tingle sometimes?

If so, MRI time.

If its just the back, and while your relaxed, its a vibration change. i have had it, but only in deep meditation. Mine is more through out the body, along with electronic sounds and weird bouncing noised.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by gandhi]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Here's a link for ya...

en.wikipedia.org...

Typical Lhermitte phenomenon (tingling sensations moving down the limbs or trunk on neck flexion) is a sign of intrinsic spinal cord pathology, most commonly cervical spinal cord demyelination. The phenomenon has several variant forms, and each has a different pathological significance. A delayed typical Lhermitte phenomenon can follow contusion of the spinal cord from neck trauma. Reverse Lhermitte phenomenon induced by neck extension is usually produced by extrinsic compression of the cervical spinal cord. Upward moving paraesthesia with neck flexion (inverse Lhermitte phenomenon) is relatively rare, and can be a sign of myelopathy from nitrous oxide inhalation.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Seizure activity is also characterized by "electricity gone amuck" in the brain, so I'm sure your doctor will be looking into that possibility also.

This does sound more like a spinal cord issue. Will probably be more annoying than anything else. Hope you are okay. Let's us know what the doc says.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Thanks for replying guys/gals. I really appreciate it.

I do get tingling in the tips, and often my arms feel the same. Sensation as if it had fell asleep.

Thanks again

top topics

join