It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix-area hospitals fight highly toxic 'supergerm'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Phoenix-area hospitals fight highly toxic 'supergerm'

www.azcentral.com

Maricopa County health officials have confirmed that a relatively new, extremely toxic strain of bacteria has been found in hospitals and other health-care facilities in the Valley.

But this is the first time the new strain, known in medical circles as "NAP1," is believed to have been linked to patient illness and deaths in Arizona, health officials said. It carries at least 20 times as much toxin as the original strain.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Not good. Phoenix is like a number of communities where there are lot of retired folks living in nursing home environments and this is an illness that preys on the weak. I would guess that reports will soon come out with this thing happening in Florida as well.

Too many antibiotics, cutting the corners on facilities, reducing the amount of cleaning and maintenance, playing with genetic aspects of organisims to develop vaccines. This kind of thing is going to continue to happen.

www.azcentral.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Is this our technological progress at work?

I love my laptop but it's not comparable to being alive and healthy.

Wish someone would have asked us and given us a chance to decide how much we wanted, what kinds, and what we could do if our brave new world went wrong somehow....you know, like with Monsanto...and new superbugs that just keep developing new ways to survive...despite our best efforts to kill them.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It seems right now that it's only affecting elderly people who already have health problems, who are the most vulnerable to any sort of infection. It's unfortunate, but it happens. If it starts to affect healthy people from 20-50, then we need to worry.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavelivanov22
reply to post by dolphinfan

another Mexican virus like h1n1 we need to stop those damn illegals and giving birth hear makes our economy fall damn bean bags

You didn't read the source, did you?

This bug is bred in hospitals, brought in by retired elderly, most likely.

Those would be Americans, and white for the most part.

It is not a virus, it is a bacterium, and the only place you can get it, or rather the most likely place to get it is in a hosptial setting where it evolved.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I always love how they try to play it down by saying "those who have acquired the bacteria also have other health problems"

Well duh! They got it in a HOSPITAL for goodness sakes.... Of course they had some sort of health problem....

Hospitals are starting to return to their original meaning... A place you go to die

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Sorry but after the whole Swine Flu joke i cannot take any new "superbug" seriously. It won't kill a large amount of people.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Thanks for the post!

This is certainly something people need to be made aware of. When I first read the headline, I thought it was going to be about MRSA, a nasty little bug I just got treated for out here in Oregon. My Doctor said cases are coming in at a record pace and he said one of the main sources of contamination is toilet seats(surprise).

This stuff makes me leery about any hospital stays. I feel for the folks that have to reside in these medical facilities, it seems one is more likely to catch a bug than not if they live in it's habitat. I am surprised they can't keep upping the strength of anti-biotics to keep up with these things, but then again, that is the wonder of the natural world and organisms, virus' and bacteria mutate in response to any efforts to destroy them. Why can't we develop a natural resistance? Oh yea, because our natural abilities to fight these things has been compromised from all the anti-biotics we are given and profits made from over prescribing.
www.articlesphere.com...

"Antibiotic resistance is partly due to doctors who over-prescribe, and poor infection control in some hospitals - a problem that has occurred in the UK.

A prime example of inappropriate prescribing is for coughs and colds. They are not caused by bacteria at all, but by viruses. And antibiotics work only on bacteria and not on virus.

Nevertheless, nearly a half of children with common colds who visit a doctor are treated with antibiotics. Since children catch an average of three to eight colds each year, they may be given many courses of unnecessary antibiotics. In fact children with colds, ear infections, sinus infections, bronchitis and sore throats, account for a staggering three quarters of all antibiotic prescriptions.

Indiscriminate use of antibiotics in less-well regulated parts of the globe is also a major issue." Paul Clayton

More info on the Arizona bug
www.physorg.com...
"As well as its armour, C. difficile has a potent weapon: protein toxins. These toxins, which cause the symptoms of disease in infected patients, are each made up of four molecular parts. Until now, scientists have known relatively little about the way these pieces fit together." Physorg.com

ezinearticles.com...?&id=883571
"Although there are many different hand sanitizers on the market, there is only one product that can effectively kill any form of MRSA from the moment that it touches the skin. All Terrain's Hand Sanz is guaranteed to completely obliterate MRSA as soon as it is spread upon a person's body. Superbugs are frightening because they can't be seen, yet they will kill nearly anyone that comes in contact with them. Even though you shouldn't live your life in fear, you may sleep better at night knowing that daily application of Hand Sanz will prevent any form of deadly superbug attack. Chances are, superbugs will keep on multiplying as the years pass, and as such, scientists will need to come up with antibiotics to kill these microscopic bacteria before it is too late, but for now, keep Hand Sanz on your side and keep yourself safe."

Peace and get some Hand Sanz
I think I'll go play in the dirt now, so I can boost my immune system.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavelivanov22

another Mexican virus like h1n1 we need to stop those damn illegals and giving birth hear makes our economy fall damn bean bags

Yeah, blame everything on illegals, that seems to be the american way lately.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pavelivanov22

I'm pretty sure what you said here is a racist slur and I personally take offense. Mods?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

C-dif is a common hospital bacterium. It is difficult to get rid of, especially if the patient has a weakened immune system.

Some of the medical professional members can probably expound on this.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

I not only agree that it was an obvious racial slur, but the whole post was a sign of such low intelligence and lack of language skills that it should be deleted just so we don't have to suffer the displeasure of exposure to it.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
dang thats scary my sister just called my niece is going into surgery and it will be at a Phoenix hospital,next week

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

---> rare super-bug found in hospitals & care facilities

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
There seems to be an emergence of a previously uncommon strain of C. difficile.
Hand washing is going to be extremely important, as well as what you wash your hands with. CHG-chlorhexidine gluconate (do not get in eyes) is my preference. The little foam containers that have Isoproply are worthless! 70% isopropyl showed no inactivation of C. difficile spores at exposure times of 5m, 15m, and 30m.
Ultra Violet light-C (wave length 254 nm range) for 20 minutes and Hydrogen Peroxide vapor/mist in patient rooms has shown to be effective. Using Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) wear gloves, and mix 1 part of bleach to 10 parts of water. Never drink, nor apply this to skin or anything living! This will be used to clean anything that someone touches (it may corrode any metal as well).
I couldn’t count the number of times that I have gone into an isolation room at a hospital, and see family members with NO Gown, or GLOVES on, at the bedside of the patient! Where signs are not only posted on the door, but in the room itself! And then they leave without washing their hands! This bacterium is transmitted by poop to mouth! So people preparing your food at the restaurant, or had your shopping cart last, can pass it to you!
Please read these links, it could save your life.
www.medscape.com...
www.unc.edu...

Violator1 out.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpcrafter
It seems right now that it's only affecting elderly people who already have health problems, who are the most vulnerable to any sort of infection. It's unfortunate, but it happens. If it starts to affect healthy people from 20-50, then we need to worry.

This strain NAP1, already has!
Please read my post above.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Being somewhat familiar to the nursing home situation, there are dramatic levels of care, from what is close on a Four Seasons hotel to a warehouse. It would be very interesting in learning more about what population this is impacting. I'm guessing it is the medicaid run facilities that are also full of veterans.

Many of these bodys are simply sent to the funeral palor and death considered "old age". It makes you wonder how many serious strains of disease are out there, going unnoticed. The same is true for the very poor and homeless. The medical establishment does not seek to find a cause of death in most instances. It seems that a spike in something like this coupled with an observant staff in the facility causes it to make news.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
You didn't read the source, did you?
This bug is bred in hospitals, brought in by retired elderly, most likely.
Those would be Americans, and white for the most part.
It is not a virus, it is a bacterium, and the only place you can get it, or rather the most likely place to get it is in a hosptial(sic) setting where it evolved.

Actually, I have treated many foreign patients in Kalifornia, that came across the border to get the free Amerikan magic medicineo.
While stationed in Lancaster (Edwards AFB) at Antelope Valley Hospital (part of UCLA Med School) I would estimate that out of the 300 patients per day

, treated in ER, 40% were South American Elderly.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonny2410
Sorry but after the whole Swine Flu joke i cannot take any new "superbug" seriously. It won't kill a large amount of people.

No Joking here!
Clostridium difficile can be deadly, however this new strain NAP1, is worse.
Clostridium has sister organisms that you are familiar with: Clostridium tetani, which causes Tetanus, and Clostridium botulinum, which causes botulis.
All three can be fatal.
users.rcn.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join