It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scary! Massive waves on huge road bridge send Volgograd drivers asphalt surfing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
wow when i first saw this....i thought it was fake..but yea people from russia have confirmed this..

Russian drivers are being left feeling more than a little wobbly after crossing a brand new bridge in Volgograd.

Alarming footage of the quivering 4.5 mile bridge has spread like wildfire on the internet, prompting President Dmitry Medvedev to demand a probe into what went wrong with the design of the project.

Reports say it bounces by more than three feet during strong winds, with a deafening screech accompanying the movement.

So far, experts blame the wrong kind of wind for the extreme turbulence suffered by drivers on the bridge - built by Moscow company Giprotransmost.

The pictures are from gale force winds last Thursday where wind speeds reached up to 18 metres per second.

Deputy Transportation Minister Oleg Belozyorov blamed the strength of the winds and dismissed a theory that an earthquake caused the bridge to wobble.

He said: 'Experts agree that it is the dynamics of the air.

'When winds gusts hit a certain resonance zone, they cause these kinds of consequences.'

Vladimir Parshin, an independent expert, said wind was the most likely cause despite this type of beam bridge - which took 13 years to build - being more stable than suspension bridges.

'The spans in the Volgograd bridge are rather long, so theoretically it could be less wind-resistant than other similar structures,' he told the Moscow Times.

here is the video

www.youtube.com...

source:dailymail.co.uk

[edit on 29-5-2010 by Noobastronomer]

[edit on 29-5-2010 by Noobastronomer]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I guess they weren't paying attention to what happened to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Did the man get his dog? I didn't see.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

No.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Having trouble with the vid in the OP?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Good job Phage, as soon as I saw this it too made me think of "Galloping Girdy" in Tacoma. You would think the Russians may have learned a thing or too about suspension bridges and the wind load that develops on the bridge deck.

Somebody's going to the GULAG for this screw up.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I would have to say that the Russian video is CG'd. Look at the 16 second point in the video - it's a side view and the lowest portion of the concrete support is expanding and contracting just like it would do if you were using CG software to manipulate the video. Also in the very beginning, there's a guy walking along the walkway and he just keeps on walking - right onto a bridge that's supposedly undulating like crazy. Doesn't seem very credible.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Makuahine

i too noticed that, i'm certainly no expert on animation or computer editing but i noticed the edges looking to be compressed and then stretched

i have no idea how someone could benefit from faking a bridge in russia being bent out of shape like that, but to me it looks like it was computer altered

i also noticed the man who is walking directly on the bridge like it's not even about to fall apart ( which if it's computer animated, then of course it never was )

anyways, this is why the 'HOAX' forum was created, but if educated speculation and testing decide this indeed was a computer animation i wouldn't want this video going around claiming to be the real deal

[edit on 5/29/2010 by indigothefish]

[edit on 5/29/2010 by indigothefish]

new topics

top topics

join