It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defence lab reveals ultimate CCTV

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Defence lab reveals ultimate CCTV

news.bbc.co.uk

The camera was already trained on the two insurgents before the people watching the monitors had even spotted them.

As they parked their vehicles and removed a large package from the back, it zoomed in and followed them.

The two men moved across a patch of vegetation that made them trickier to see, so the surveillance monitor automatically switched to thermal imaging and followed them closely as they tried to conceal themselves behind a building.

The suspicious pair were in fact actors. This was an experiment.

But the imaging forms part of what the UK's Defence Science and Technol
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This is sick. Do they have no respect for human rights and privacy?

One of the tested CCTVs can analyze color, and detect camouflaged vehicles.

The tested CCTV gives you visuals in 10 wavelengths. Not just the three of humans.

I'm sure what it really can do is being covered up, and is top secret.

They can measure distances of targets with lasers.

All in the sake of finding "terrorists".

"You ping a laser pulse off a target," explained Mr Clark, "and because you can control the length of the laser pulse, you can actually look at slices out in space."

BAE is working with Austrian company Airborne Technologies to tailor the equipment so it can be fitted to aircraft.

All of these systems combined, Dr Seedhouse said, use the insurgents' activities against them.

He said: "We will get to the point where we can prevent them from hiding in the background noise and where they become a target."

This is just wrong.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
indeed Scary Since Mayor Bloomburg from NYC was in the UK looking at the "Ring of Steel" so they can implement it in the city sadly there is no middle ground between pre-ceeved safety and freedom.

"He that's secure is not safe."
Benjamin Franklin

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

One of the tested CCTVs can analyze color, and detect camouflaged vehicles.

The tested CCTV gives you visuals in 10 wavelengths. Not just the three of humans.

They can measure distances of targets with lasers.

All in the sake of finding "terrorists".

"You ping a laser pulse off a target," explained Mr Clark, "and because you can control the length of the laser pulse, you can actually look at slices out in space."

BAE is working with Austrian company Airborne Technologies to tailor the equipment so it can be fitted to aircraft.

All of these systems combined, Dr Seedhouse said, use the insurgents' activities against them.

He said: "We will get to the point where we can prevent them from hiding in the background noise and where they become a target."

This is just wrong.

I'm sorry, come again?

Since when do insurgents hiding in camouflage waiting to ambush innocent civilians in cities as well as foreign troops care about human rights and privacy???

SO NOW being able to locate a camouflaged sniper, or terrorist is a bad idea? Ok.

I'm sure there is something TOP SECRET about it, but when a person, such as yourself, thinks that the Government should not use new technology (which is all non voilent btw) to SPOT the bad guys??

You know... all I see here is that you are afraid the governement is going to chase you down, because some reason they have their eye on you. Some reason you are so special that they will break down the billion dollar projects to crack down on YOU?!

Or are you really concerned for your fellow citizens? Because I am... I am worried about my fellow american. That is why I have a degree in law enforcement and am trying to use it to PROTECT citizens from corruption of other officers and to protect them from terrorists or just criminals (who are terrorists in many aspects).

I recommend you do the same. Instead of complaining about the problem... do somethign about it. Nothing ever gets accomplished by just sitting and staring. You may have a goal in mind but it takes effort to achieve it.

This is a great advance in technology and it will save many many many more lives than it takes. And I bet someday it will protect you too OP.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Anything that can be done will be done. Now imagine everyone having such a camera that can be operated via google-maps, google-streetview and webcams. Thats the Future.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

This is not the future.

Cops are not allowed to use Infrared cameras near homes because it may reveal "intimate relations" going on inside. Or it may reveal nudity of some degree that violates someones rights. They will not give this to citizens if they wont even give it to the police.

edit to add

I'm talking about ground level anyways. Police Helicopters are allowed to use it in hot pursuits, but only big cities have them and they dont peer inside of homes. I dont see why everyone thinks this is another thing that violates their rights. All it does it make measurements and anazlye data better than before.

[edit on 29-5-2010 by rjmelter]

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I get a bunch of reading material sent to me that deals with military and aerospace technology from a manufacture point of view. Also lots of trade publications on imaging and signal processing.. These "smart cameras" and systems have been around longer than you think. What is happing now is the proliferation of COTS or commercial of the shelf technology. The Pentium I7 chip has been a wet dream for embedded mill-spec developers do to the raw processing power it has.
Good article to showcase the trickle down effect of classified tech to commercial tech.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by rjmelter

This is not the future.

Cops are not allowed to use Infrared cameras near homes because it may reveal "intimate relations" going on inside. Or it may reveal nudity of some degree that violates someones rights. They will not give this to citizens if they wont even give it to the police.

Im talking distant future, very distant

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

like the distance in time when one human being can actually trust another human being?

your are right about that being the DISTANT Future

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by rjmelter

I'm sure there is something TOP SECRET about it, but when a person, such as yourself, thinks that the Government should not use new technology (which is all non voilent btw) to SPOT the bad guys??

You know... all I see here is that you are afraid the governement is going to chase you down, because some reason they have their eye on you. Some reason you are so special that they will break down the billion dollar projects to crack down on YOU?!

Or are you really concerned for your fellow citizens? Because I am... I am worried about my fellow american. That is why I have a degree in law enforcement and am trying to use it to PROTECT citizens from corruption of other officers and to protect them from terrorists or just criminals (who are terrorists in many aspects).

I recommend you do the same. Instead of complaining about the problem... do somethign about it. Nothing ever gets accomplished by just sitting and staring. You may have a goal in mind but it takes effort to achieve it.

This is a great advance in technology and it will save many many many more lives than it takes. And I bet someday it will protect you too OP.

So you actually see this as being used for good, and nothing bad at all. Wow.

You do not see this is being infringed upon your rights and privacy?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by rjmelter

A criminal isn't a terrorist, a terrorist is a criminal.

Having the capability isn't m concern. Knowing that any time they have the capability it gets misused is my concern.

I find it disconcerting that genetic research that could help humanity is stifled by asinine laws, while research that infringes on humans unalienable right to liberty is encouraged and cheered.

We have things so backwards. So, so backwards.

I, for one, am not willing to trade any of my liberties for safety. Ever.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Yes, Because having sexual relations in public is ok. Yes the guys may be acting immaturely, but the people they are watching are also having sex in the open... great idea. Break the law, and have it recorded too. (public indecency)

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

and you have legitimate concerns. but having participated in law enforcement for the last month and a half, I see the reasons why they are using this stuff... and they had NO evil little "stomp on anyone's rights" attitude.

There are things that need to be done, but when people get discouraged because of the paperwork, the hassle and politics... it also explains why certain people go unpunished.

Politics is the only thing ruining the U.S. Country and her rights... the people are just products of a horrible political environment, and also the product of lies and deceit. One day things will be better... but how many people have to die first? I dont know.

BUT THIS TOOL is not going to cause any deaths. In the right hands... its a miracle... in the wrong hands... its a curse. What kind of person are you?

edit to add

I, for one, am not willing to trade any of my liberties for safety. Ever.

Thats not the first time I've heard that... but this is the first time it ever made sense... Good point dude.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

How is it violating my rights?

If I choose to break the law, you the public deserves justice... so what if it sees me fleeing a scene? I CAUSED A CRIMINAL VIOLATION AT THE SCENE... I deserve to be watched and followed.

NOW, as far as corruption is concerned. When an officer treats you bad or does violate you turn him into the local department. That is the ONLY way to get rid of crooks. AND with most state agencies if someone violates your rights and they get fired they will forever lose their certification with the state. Thus they wont be a law enforcement officer anymore.

I think people forgot about the checks and balances systems as it applys to them. All they have to do is take it to the department... but most people are too lazy to even do that.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

"Cops are not allowed to use Infrared cameras near homes because it may reveal "intimate relations" going on inside. Or it may reveal nudity of some degree that violates someones rights. They will not give this to citizens if they wont even give it to the police. "

If a $10 an hour airport screener can see you naked what makes you think this will stop them?

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by itsallmaya

Good point...

but like I said before...

That is your job!

When you step up against corruption more than likely you will win as long as you file it with IA and also file it with your state agency. If nothing gets done you can go federal, but that process is ridiculously long in itself.

As an intern I saw a lot of things go on. When I turned in my intern paper to my instructor and department one of the captains called me and asked me several questions about what I observed. Some of the deputies have been warned... should they break the policy... they are gone. While that was only a small step... it was a viable and positive step and action was taken.

Not every officer is meant for Law Enforcement... there are new "screenings" done to get rid of them... but with the dangers associated with LEO work... only certain personalities make it into the mix. You yourself probably do not want to do law enforcement... but yet you know it is important for an officer of the law to do his job appropriately do you not?

I do not see this getting abused too much. To get into the federal government there are STRINGENT policies in place. I've filled out numerous papers that I know are weeding people out. (Asking for history, talk to families, misdemanors, felonies etc). While I do not have anything that will hurt me as far as violations of the law... my work history is not so good. When i work for corrupt people i quit. Like one guy was installing illegal software and charging people for it. I told one of the clients (and unfortunately they went to his church and wanted the free software) I got fired for that one actually. The other one the owners was illegally holding my managers check as punishment (she was a family friend of his) and I mentioned it to him. He accused me of going through his papers because "how did I know where it was??" Well when I went and talked to resources her check was on top of his desk when I walked in... and considering mine was right beside it... what a genius. I put in my two weeks and began my schooling... again. (After this he called me a liar several times and said he knew where he put the papers (including her check)). Not only did he call me a liar but I worked at his other company prior to that where he actually ASKED me to work for him because of my character... anyways he went down there and told them I was sticking my nose where it didnt belong and snooping through papers. I could sue him for that (defamation of character)... but i didnt because the law is so difficult to prove now-a-days.

You all have the abilities to make change if you are willing to put forth the effort... and from what I've seen on ATS, most of y'all are good people. So I do have hope that devices like these will work in the long run. As long as at least SOME of yall take necessary action (that isn't violent) and make change in this world.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

What saddens me is that officers die in the line of duty while pursuing what is a nonviolent crime.

You are correct in that politics runs our nation. It has ruined our nation.

The People need very little protection. The primary protection we need, we are not getting: protection of tyranny in our government. Personal responsibility will handle the rest. Law enforcement should be focused on justice, not prevention. Too much prevention and you get stifled liberties via a nanny state.

You are a new officer? Good for you. Keep your positive viewpoint, and do not allow corruption among your peers to stand.
God speed.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

Uk gov cares not for human rights, my life has proven that.

The surprising thing is that they actually admit to this stuff.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by staple
I get a bunch of reading material sent to me that deals with military and aerospace technology from a manufacture point of view. Also lots of trade publications on imaging and signal processing.. These "smart cameras" and systems have been around longer than you think. What is happing now is the proliferation of COTS or commercial of the shelf technology. The Pentium I7 chip has been a wet dream for embedded mill-spec developers do to the raw processing power it has.
Good article to showcase the trickle down effect of classified tech to commercial tech.

Agreed.
Look how long FLIR has been around, 30 years at least.
Remember the old pushbroom, I think it was used in "Nam."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join