It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning: Crash dead ahead. Sell. Get liquid. Now.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Ahh look MORE fear mongering........

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
When we feel like we have to tiptoe around possible ugly facts it suggests we don't really believe there is real worth there, or at least not nearly as much as is currently proffered.

We seem to be acting as if there is a bubble, with perhaps some strong arguments in that favor.

I will comment that bad [dishonest/deceptive/lying] accounting tends to push out the good [reasonably honest].
Competition, but negative, cheating competition. The downside of unregulated competition.

We could blame government or more pragmatically blame ourselves for not making sure things are honest or avoiding them when we have real uncertainties. Instead all too often [i am not without guilt too] we kind of treat it as something we can glide over the surface of instead of knowing something about the companies/industries one is investing in & doing a little background checking to reasonably verify honest accounting in quarterly reports/statements.

Granted, the government, incested with Wall Street gamblers & frauds have watered down accounting requirements & standards to the point, you really are taking a blind gamble with publicly traded shares. [CEO stock options, lawsuit immunity for accounting & legal firms]

I guess people will vote [gamble?] with their money. Either this is a 'good enough' way to operate a market, or they will withdraw their funds until more viable accountability standards are brought to bear. Of course it may also mean lowered expectations of returns.

How much do you value your money & perhaps the effort it took to acquire it.
Clearly the government doesn't have the slightest respect for your money or the money it robs from unborn babies. I guess that is a tough problem, but one that need real attention.

Does your dreaming outweigh your respecting? I don't think there is any definitive answer, only various philosophies.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by boondock-saint

Ohh I agree...

I just think you don't need to crash it to dismantle it.

You don't necesarilly have the ruin or destroy the world to scrap and revampt your economic system. It just has to be done in a smart way, over time.

Much like anything that is difficult.

~Keeper

I would disagree with that analogy
due to the fact that the same corrupt
people in this system will invade the new
system like a virus.

Only a crash where EVERYBODY loses
everything can there be equality in
a new start. Else ur just trading one
corrupt system for another one.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
But ultimately it is always the same system, so you have to clean up the one you have.

Some systems are better engineered than others, but progressive, organic changes are advisable & one may learn a few things in the process.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Heh...the only crash we will ever see where everyone loses everything will be an asteroid crash.

The current market still has many people who would continue to be fine should 80% of the world lose everything.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Whose fault to you think that is?

Yours and mine that's who.

Stop electing crooked officials and this sort of thing would not happen.

And I disagree, if people voted for the correct people and had a correct system in place, there would be nobody who COULD mess with the markets.

~Keeper

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Mmm, I may not know much about the markets but I do know this ... if old man Soros is pimping panic and others are parroting, it means he's in a buying mood.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
reply to post by St Udio

The stock market will not exist in ten years my friend all those investments you think will retain value in the so called ten year downturn will return to from whence they came; NOTHING!

your sort of correct...
it will be the "end-of-markets-as-we-know it"

my pittance of investment, for these perhaps 9 months won't even be an average months salary, soooo - if the utility electric corps. go out of business in those 10 years ....
I just don't care = so i'm not losing anything, of value to me or my beneficiaries

one only 'loses' if the thing lost has any type of value to that person
== sometimes it is appropriate to wax philosophical, so thanks for listening and even trying to pull-my-chain ==

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Mmm, I may not know much about the markets but I do know this ... if old man Soros is pimping panic and others are parroting, it means he's in a buying mood.

That's why it's important to watch what people DO versus what they SAY. Mr Soros is putting alot of his resources into gold, which is a 'safe haven' investment. So we merely have to ask ourselves, 'safe from WHAT'?

Mr Soros – a legend in investing circles for his $10bn (£6.37bn) bet against the pound in 1992 which forced sterling out of the European exchange rate mechanism – increased his stake in the SPDR Gold Trust in the last quarter of 2009.
Regulatory filings show that his $8.8bn investment vehicle, Soros Fund Management, raised its stake in exchange-traded fund SPDR by 3.7m shares to 6.2m shares in the three months ending December 31, 2009.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
The current market still has many people who would continue to
be fine should 80% of the world lose everything.

and those are the very same people that need
to go to prison. For to trade stock means there is
a chance of losing money. Once you eliminate
the chance of losing, then you are playing God
and are above reproach and above the law.
Nobody or no institution in this world is TOO
big to fail. If they think they are,
then they are doing something illegal
and that makes them criminals.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Whose fault to you think that is?

Yours and mine that's who.

Stop electing crooked officials and this sort of thing would not happen.

wrong again

nobody in the public elects bankers

don't confuse politics with banking

politicians are just puppets for the bankers

and NOBODY elects them

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Reign02

Better clean the machine before you reboot otherwise the virus will return with more power!

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Precious metals do seem to be all the rage, gold is at historic levels. I am buying more physical gold myself, well maybe not now, but I'll wait for a hopeful dip. Paper gold on the hand doesn't seem to have the trust factor.

The housing market in southern US is set for yet another bust as federal tax credits are set to expire. California will be the new Greece, Spain's credit rating is down a notch, and Ireland will make Greece look like picnic. The PIIGS news is of course not new but it is surging ahead.

The pattern that I'm reading is that some of the big players who dismissed the doom and gloomers are now feverishly making plans.

If your in a high debt situation you are screwed, no if and or buts. Even cash may prove somewhat misleading once hyperinflation kicks in.

I'm going for a beer.

brill

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

The SP500 is actually most likely undervalued going by 2011 estimated earnings of 90-100+/share. The short term means nothing though as in anything could happen I mean. We are in a correction and I personally wouldn't put anything new to work till we went back over Dow 11,000 - but crash?.. No More like long term buying opportunity.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by HimWhoHathAnEar

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

That's why it's important to watch what people DO versus what they SAY. Mr Soros is putting alot of his resources into gold, which is a 'safe haven' investment. So we merely have to ask ourselves, 'safe from WHAT'?

Soros buying gold whilst pimping panic is consistent with what I proposed ... create uncertainty make money on gold as the securities market goes down. When securities are undervalued, dump the gold (at massive profit because it was overvalued due to the self promoted uncertainty) and buy securities at discounted rate. Hedge a few currencies and bonds ...

Rinse, repeat ...

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Or, he is simply repeating past wins on shorting currencies by acquiring the only currency with ZERO liabilities and 5000 years of legitimacy.
One thing for sure, we'll find out!

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Fear mongering or not, stock up on food as that's the very least anyone can do. It's a good investment, better than new oversized plasma TV.
That way, you buy some time for a potential crisis. Or someone else's time in case you're smoked....

Quite a few prominent people were/is talking about a "da crash" in 2010. Every ATS subscriber should know about those people by now. So... do whatever you can do.

By the way I am a sceptic and don't subscribe to 95% of conspiracy theories, but the total collapse of economy and a just-in-time world war is IMO... sadly, most likely is going to happen before 2015.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Could someone confirm to me that if the American economy would collapse it seems logical that there would be a domino effect on the pound/euro given that the current global economic system is so intertwined it is more likely than not?

I am not an economic brainbox so would like others opinion on this please thanks.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FermiFlux

More like the EU collapsing rather than the USA. Have you been unconscious the past 3 months?

Anyway, the US Dollar has become increasingly stronger which is a catch-22 for us (living in the US). While our dollar goes further in foreign countries our international business's domiciled in the USA will most likely have less than/worse than previous profits because of international trade.

Otherwise, contrary to what many would lead you to believe on this website, the USA is looking like the best investment possible at the current time. As if it wasn't the safe-haven before of course, but anyway that is another thread.

The recent developments in the EU region have hurt our (USA) equity markets because of the above. When the US Dollar grows stronger our stock market falls because it takes more foreign money to invest in USA, plus it takes less of our money to put into foreign assets. That is a very basic explanation, if you require the full one I would recommend this but that would just put you to sleep.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Reign02

ney...dont thinks so , i am no expert, but the market is due for a huge "correction" that has to happen. in the end it will be alright not the end of the world .

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join