It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malawi's president: pardon and release gay couple

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Malawi's president: pardon and release gay couple

www.msnbc.msn.com

BLANTYRE, Malawi - Malawi's president on Saturday pardoned and ordered the release of a gay couple sentenced to 14 years in prison, but warned that homosexuality remains illegal in the conservative southern African nation.

President Bingu wa Mutharika said he would release Tiwonge Chimbalanga and Steven Monjeza on "humanitarian grounds only." He made the announcement during a press conference with U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in Lilongwe, the capital.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Well that's a relief. Finally somebody has come to their senses in that country.

I hope those two get out of the country and immigrate to a place where they can live their lives free of persecution.

"These boys committed a crime against our culture, against our religion, and against our laws," Mutharika said. "However, as head of state, I hereby pardon them and therefore order their immediate release without any conditions."

Still harsh rhetoric, but at least he can see the problem with locking men up for an extended period of time for being who they are.

~Keeper

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I applauded that action. I find being in jail because of his sexual orientation is wrong

join