It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spartacus

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Oni-Kage

Do you know which channel it will be on?

I did a Google search and couldn't find it.

Thank you.

Red Golem - any spoilers, please.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

www.tv-links.eu...

edit on 21-1-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Hear is where one place to see it.
It will be a long season but so far I do think they are showing the problem between Spartacus and the Gaul.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It's on Sky1. They posted it up on Facebook so hopefully it's true. Maybe check on closer to the date but take it with a pinch of Salt :s ha ha ha xxx

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Great news Spartacus fans. If you did not yet know they have the first episode for Spartacus: Vengeance for free on Facebook right now.

www.facebook.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I saw the frist showing of Spartacus: Vengeance on the Starz webpage it was good this should be a great season! I did a write up on Spartacus once on ATS that didnt go over very good but its about his life www.abovetopsecret.com... peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Thanks, everyone, for all the extra info - Starz all round

Sugarcookie - your thread is great, It is a pity it didn't get more attention. I was 'with' Spartacus right up until the time when he slaughtered his horse. Rotten git - ah well, he got his comeuppance. Karma or what

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Double checked on my Skybox and yep! Monday at 10pm on Sky1
Woooooo!!!

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Very entertaining tv-show with some great actors. But what about the culture at that time...does the tv-show give an accurate idea of how the people inteacted with each other?

The inter-action with people are very brute, sexual orientated and homosexuality is considered something normal and accepted.

It will not surprise me if it was the norm in those times but on the otherhand it seems to contradict the sophisticated culture of the roman society....as far as you can speak of sophistication compared to our time.

Anybody..?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

History has always been one of my best academic areas. Roman era is not a specialty of mine but I have a general understanding of it. Spartacus is Rome around 80-70BC so that was still Roman Republic times. First to note is that there was nowhere near as much racial diversity in Rome as depicted in the show, which should be obvious. The people were not as radically different in appearance as they are today around the Mediterranean because the Arab invasion was still centuries away. Greece and Rome dominated the area in all conceivable ways.

There is no doubt Rome was brutal, you cannot have a nation which enjoys such slaughter as the arena for entertainment and not have a very masculine society. Culture was largely defined by the social hierarchy and different sexes. Sex was not viewed as so promiscuous since the Christian concepts of hiding ‘private’ areas which were to be viewed only by your spouse, had not yet existed. Prostitution was well known, so were orgies, especially among the elite. Private celebrations did often feature sexual acts for entertainment. Wine was consumed more than usual because clean water was not as common.

Overall I would say Spartacus exaggerates some of it but overall hits the point. Christianity definitely changed Europe, whether you consider it for better or worse is your decision. Pagan rituals often involved animal slaughter, and sometimes human offerings or orgies.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Very brutal season of Spartacus this one, very very enjoyable

I've even grown to accept the new actor after the passing of the original.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
As a result of this series, I have actually done some research into Roman history. The Spartacus series (and the Kirk Douglas movie) were approximately 5% solid history and the rest was pure speculation by the modern writers. Roman/Greek historians, the only sources of information on him, were thoroughly uninterested in his personal details, and mention only his mutiny and certain details of his campaign against Rome (Plutarch on Crassus, and Appian's History, especially) and that he was killed by the Romans - but no details as to the reasons for his mutiny, whether he was married or what happened to his wife, or the personal details of the life and household of his owner/trainer Batiatis, nor precise details of the death of Spartacus. The story that his was double-crossed by the Romans, by Batiatis, or the "I'm Spartacus" scene (from the movie) when his men were captured are all modern writing. There had been various stories that, wherever he had come from, he was a prince, or a shepherd, or anything in between, and that he was inspired to mutiny because, having killed a helmeted man in the arena, he removed the helmet and then realized that he had killed his best friend from his homeland, etc. etc.

There's something about the speaking style in the series - not quite Shakespearean, not quite Yoda, but definitely not regular English; it's like there's always a word or two missing from every sentence. Is there a proper name for this sort of diction??

The series is definitely very instructive. Especially about what was hidden under Xena's leather armor.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Thanks for your contribution. Although I wasn't much interested in history while in highschool it has captured my attention over the years.

Watching Spartacus this came to mind. A bit off topic but I always considered it a bit strange why humanity tries to be monogamous while it is not in their nature...like some other animals have it in their genes to be monogamous. It is as if TPTB are trying to drill this out of our species.

Maybe I should start a thread about that and see what people think about that.

edit on 5/3/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Very true Zatara. I think it's one of those things thats seen as 'wrong' simply cause we grow up being told it is, although jealousy can have very strong pulls anyway to be fair lol.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
But to get back on topic, i'm really enjoying the new series! I still miss the original actor though
the new guy's good but he's just not the same
looking forward to catching up on last nights episode tonight
the plots starting to thicken quite nicely.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Oni-Kage

Same here, not sure the new guy is as good as Andy Whitfield but the show's been great so far.

Haven't seen last night's episode (got that and Homeland to watch later this week when I get chance).

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Last episode was pretty good. Looks like they might have a good fighter and he freed the pregnant o e. Now the question iz will that comr back to haunt him?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

A lot of people seemed rather upset that Spartacus let Ilithyia go free. I think it was the best thing to do, both morally and strategically. Consider. Spartacus had shown to her great sympathy, she knows he could have easily taken her life but did not do so, he even informed her of how Glaber does not truly love her as he did his wife. Surely Ilithyia already knew this though. Nevertheless, Glaber will now have three women living under his roof which would like to see him succumb to great harm, presumably even death.

Seppia now knows Glaber was involved in her brother’s murder, Lucretia desires his death, and now Ilithyia had been spared by the goodness of Spartacus to return home to a husband who left her for dead, has been sleeping with another woman, and already threatened her life. Altogether it looks like the next episode will be fantastic.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I agree it might help bring her husband's death in the short tearm, but in the long tearm it may work agaist him. I say that because all of the women are equaly as driven for self as the husband they want de
ad

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
If, like me, u wouldn't mind donning the Spartacus outfit from time to tine, u might like this website:
www.museumreplicas.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join